Honours and awards
- Outstanding Investigator Award for Metabolomics, 10th International Metabolomics Society Meeting, Tsuruoka, Japan, 2014.
- RACI Hartung Youth Lecturer 2014
- RACI delegate to Science Meets Parliament 2014
- Nominated for the Australian & New Zealand Society for Magnetic Resonance (ANZMAG) Sir Paul Callaghan Medal for Outstanding Contributions to Magnetic Resonance by a Young Investigator, 2013.
- Nominated for the Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Best Publication Award, 2008.
- Nominated for the Armstrong Prize for outstanding Ph.D. research carried out at Imperial College, 2005.
- Awarded an Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council Ph.D. Scholarship, 2001-2005.
- Awarded the Jan Dzienisiewicz M.Sc. Scholarship from Imperial College London, 2000-2001.
Academic and governmental agencies
- Metabolomics Australia
- Victoria Police Forensic Services Department
- Water Research Australia
- Deakin University (Conlan Group)
- Agilent Technologies
- Perkin Elmer
Editorial and peer-assessment
- Editorial Board of the Journal of Environmental Immunology and Toxicology
- Editorial Board of ANZMAGazine
- Reviewer of leading international journals from ACS, RSC, Wiley-VCH, Wiley, Elsevier and Nature Publishing Groups
- Expert assessor for the Australian Research Council. I also review grants for the NHMRC and the National Research Agencies of Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Holland, Switzerland and the UK.
- Organizing Committee, and Session Chair, 3rd SETAC Australasia conference Melbourne, Australia, 2013
- Organizing Committee, and Session facilitator, Australian Academy of Science Early- and Mid-Career Researcher Forum ‘Science Pathways’ meetings, Melbourne, Australia, 2013
- Dr Oliver A.H. Jones is a member of the Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC) and I am regularly interviewed and quoted on TV, radio and newspapers about my research, particularly on chemicals in the environment and analytical chemistry. Most recently I have quoted in national newspapers such as "The Sydney Morning Herald" as well as the BBC.
- He also took part in an RMIT Talking Health podcast on the subject of the science and history of performance enhancing drugs.
- He also regularly write for Chemistry in Australia, the magazine of the RACI
- Course Coordinator, 1st Year Analytical Science (CHEM1257)
- Course Coordinator, Analytical Science, Open Universities Australia (CHEM1262 or SCC110)
- Course Coordinator, 3rd Year Advanced Instrumental Analysis (CHEM 1079), 100% student satisfaction for three years in a row
- Co- Coordinator, 3rd Year Environment Research Project Vietnam (ENVI1144)
- Lecturer, 3rd year Advanced Spectroscopic Analysis (CHEM1080)
- Lecturer, Applied Sciences Honours Course Unit - Metabolomics (ONPS2313)
- Guest Lecturer, 1st year Biological Chemistry (BIOL2260)
- Guest Lecturer, 1st year Protein Technologies (BIOL2226)
- Project Mentor, 3rd Year Professional Scientist (ONPS2335)
- Project Mentor, 3rd Year Science Project (ONPS2186)
Current research activities
- Analytical chemistry and separation science - especially new techniques and applications in multi-dimensional gas and liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry and NMR and vibrational spectroscopy
- Biochemistry - concentrating on metabolomics and related techniques
- Environmental toxicology and chemistry - particularly of contaminants of emerging concern such as endocrine disrupting compounds, pharmaceuticals and personal care products and mixtures thereof
- Food chemistry and analysis of contaminants from food packaging
- Forensic science, focussing on drug analysis and toxicology
Dr Oliver A.H. Jones currently supervises or co-supervises 8 PhD projects:
- Wholegrains and Traditional Bread Making Processes to Enhance the Health Benefits of Baked Goods (PhD in Applied Chemistry). Co-supervised with Associate Professor Darryl Small, funded via the Grains Research and Development Corporation
- The Synthesis of Chiral Aliphatic Benzodioxepinone Analogues (PhD in Organic Chemistry). Co-senior supervisor with Associate Professor Helmut Hugel and Mr Trevor Rook, funding via an Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship
- Production of Bioactive Honey from Medicinal Plants (PhD in Biotechnology). Co-supervised with Associate Professor Eddie Pang and Dr. Nitin Mantri, funding via an Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship
- New Techniques and Applications in Multidimensional Chromatography (PhD in Analytical Chemistry). . Senior Supervisor, funding via the CSIRO Food Futures Flagship and RMIT University
- Validation and Calibration of a new Device For the Detection of Chlorinated Organophosphorus Flame Retardants (PhD in Environmental Science). Co-supervised with Associate Professor Nicola Porter, funding via Water Research Australia
- The Occurrence of Disinfectant By-Products in Victorian Wastewater (PhD in Analytical Chemistry). Senior Supervisor, funding via RMIT
- The Study of the Physical Properties of High Fibre Beverages (PhD in Food Science). Co supervision with Professor Stefan Kasapis, funding via an ARC Linkage Grant between Professor Kasapis and Sanitarium Health and Wellbeing Australia
- Assessment of Cheese Quality and Flavour via Metabolomics (PhD in Food Science), Senior supervisor, funding via an Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship
Dr Oliver A.H. Jones has supervised six Honours students in the areas of analytical, biological and environmental chemistry.
He is currently supervising approximately 5-7 third year projects per year in the areas of analytical chemistry and organic synthesis.
He is also co-supervising one postdoctoral research associate with Professor Stefan Kasapis, funding via an ARC Linkage Grant between Professor Kasapis and Sanitarium Health and Wellbeing Australia.
- Ph.D. Environmental Chemistry, Imperial College London, 2005
- M.Sc., Environmental Technology, Imperial College London, 2001
- B.Sc. (Hons.), Marine and Freshwater Biology, Queen Mary University of London), 2000
- Group Leader, Molecular and Separation Science Laboratory (MASSLab)
- Member - Australian Academy of Science National Committee for Chemistry
- Member - Australian Academy of Science Early and Mid-Career Researcher Forum
- Co-President - Proteomics and Metabolomics Victoria (PMV)
- Vice-President and founding member - Australian and New Zealand Metabolomics Network (ANZMN)
- Secretary and Board Member - Australian and New Zealand Society for Magnetic Resonance (ANZMAG)
- 2012 - present: Lecturer, School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Australia.
- 2010-2011: Lecturer, School of Engineering and Computing Sciences, Durham University, UK.
- 2005-2009: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, UK
Affiliations and professional memberships
- Member and Chartered Chemist - Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI)
- Member and Chartered Biologist - Society of Biology (UK)
- Member - International Metabolomics Society,
- Member - Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC)
- Member - Australian and New Zealand Society for Mass Spectrometry (ANZSMS)
- Member of the College Board for the College of Science Engineering and Health
- Co-organiser - School of Applied Sciences Early Career Researcher (ECR) forum.
- Member - RMIT Platform Technology Research Institute (PTRI) and Health Innovation Research Institute (HIRI)
- Co-director - RMIT Centre for Environmental Sustainability and Remediation (ENSURE)
- Member - RMIT Water: Effective Technologies and Tools (WETT) Centre
- 'Key Researcher' for RMIT's role in the Cooperative Research Centre for Contamination Assessment and Remediation of the Environment (CRC CARE) and in regard to RMIT's status as a preferred provided or services for EPA Victoria.
- RMIT School of Applied Sciences Seminar Co-ordinator
- Jones, O. (2017). Assessing pre-harvest sprouting in cereals using near-infrared spectroscopy-based metabolomics In: NIR NEWS, , 1 - 5
- Pourjavaheri, F.,Mohaddes, F.,Jones, O.,Sherkat, F.,Kong, I.,Gupta, A.,Shanks, R. (2017). (In Press) Avian Keratin Fibre Based Bio-composites In: World Journal of Engineering, 14, 1 - 19
- Oberegger, S.,Jones, O.,Spencer, M. (2017). Effect of nanostructuring of ZnO for gas sensing of nitrogen dioxide In: Computational Materials Science, 132, 104 - 115
- Collie, J.,Greaves, R.,Jones, O.,Lam, Q.,Eastwood, G.,Bellomo, R. (2017). Vitamin B1 in critically ill patients: needs and challenges In: Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, 55, 1 - 17
- Alexandrou, L.,Meehan, B.,Morrison, P.,Jones, O. (2017). A New Method for the Fast Analysis of Trihalomethanes in Tap and Recycled Waters Using Headspace Gas Chromatography with Micro-Electron Capture Detection In: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 14, 1 - 9
- Lavoie, M.,Raven, J.,Jones, O.,Qian, H. (2016). Energy cost of intracellular metal and metalloid detoxification in wild-type eukaryotic phytoplankton In: Metallomics, 8, 1097 - 1109
- Pourjavaheri, F.,Mohaddes, F.,Jones, O.,Sherkat, F.,Kong, I.,Gupta, A.,Shanks, R. (2016). Analysis and Characterization of Novel Avian Keratin Fibre Based Bio-composites In: Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Composites/Nano Engineering, Haikou, China, 17-23 July 2016
- Jones, O.,Lear, G.,Welji, A.,Collins, G.,Quince, C. (2016). Community metabolomics in environmental microbiology In: Microbial Metabolomics, Springer, Switzerland
- Dias, D.,Jones, O.,Beale, D.,Boughton, B.,Benheim, D.,Kouremenos, K.,Wolfender, J.,Wishart, D. (2016). Current and future perspectives on the structural identification of small molecules in biological systems In: Metabolites, 6, 1 - 29
- Beale, D.,Jones, O.,Karpe, A.,Dayalan, S.,Oh, D.,Kouremenos, K.,Ahmed, W.,Palombo, E. (2016). A review of analytical techniques and their application in disease diagnosis in breathomics and salivaomics research In: International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 18, 1 - 26
- Insoluble-fibre enriched beverages: Innovation for a healthier Australia. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2016 from (2017 to 2020)
- Motorcyclist-friendly roadside posts from recycled plastics. Funded by: VicRoads Motorcycle Safety Levy Research Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- Dynamic Nuclear Polarisation system for molecular structure determination. Administered by The University of Melbourne.. Funded by: RMIT Cash Contribution from (2016 to 2017)
- Developing analysis methods for complex lipids in plants, CSIRO Flagship PhD 13/03634 for Jessica Pandohee. Funded by: CSIRO Flagship Scholarship from (2014 to 2016)
- Validation and calibration of a POCIS device for the detection of chlorinated organophosphorus flame retardants in Australian surface waters.. Funded by: Water Quality Research Australia Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2017)
5 PhD Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions