Ingo was awarded his PhD in 2011 from The University of Melbourne, Australia. His teaching interest centres on Design Thinking, Strategy, and Service Management. Currently, Ingo is responsible for the course Design Thinking for Business, a core course of RMIT’s MBA executive program, focusing on case studies and collaboration with industry partners to design context-relevant strategy solutions.
In his teaching, Ingo primarily cares about inspiring a passion among students to interact with their peers, lecturers, and industry partners to cocreate exciting learning experiences and excellent earning outcomes. This emphasis on students’ shared responsibility for and contribution to engaging interactions builds the basis for critical and creative learning processes.
Research Purpose and Priorities
Ingo’s research focuses on understanding, measuring and managing business success factors from a design and strategic marketing perspective. Specifically: a) drawing on service and design thinking to better understand and inform value co-creation strategies in service systems; b) measuring and investigating the interplay of service-driving organisational design and customer experience design; and c) managing service systems and human relations towards more engaging experience processes and better experience outcomes.
Given Ingo’s personal background, he is also interested in country-of- origin and socio-cultural fit related effects. Overall, Ingo values a holistic perspective on business phenomena including but not limited to design, marketing, management, psychology and sociology concepts. While Ingo was working as a strategy consultant in Europe before joining academia, today he collaborates with international research and industry partners to facilitate knowledge generation for the betterment of business and society.
Ingo is a co-editor of Strategic Design (BIS Publishers) and a co-editor of a forthcoming special issue on Design, Consumption and Marketing in the Journal of Marketing Management
Research Awards and Recognitions
- 2016 Research Excellence Award for Innovative Research Supervision, Graduate School of Business and Law, RMIT University
- 2015 Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC) Emerging Researcher of the Year Award; an annual international award across Australia/New Zealand for the “early career researcher judged to have made the most significant contribution to knowledge in marketing through research of high standing”
- 2015 RMIT Foundation Malcolm Moore Industry Research Award; university-level award for an outstanding early career researcher to support an industry research project; value: $33,000
- 2015 Outstanding Early Career Researcher (ECR) Award, College of Business, RMIT University; recognises the best research performance among ECRs across 6 schools
- 2015 Outstanding Journal Publication by an Academic, College of Business, RMIT University; recognises the best research article published by faculty members during the previous year across 6 schools; Best Journal Publication Award, School of Economics, Finance and Marketing; recognises the best research article published among school faculty members during the previous year
- 2015 Nominated for Best Paper Award at the IVBEC Conference, New York, USA, October 22-24; subsequent invitation to submit paper to special issue in the Journal of Business Ethics
- 2014 Design Research Institute (DRI): Funded invitation to participate in the DRI’s Transdisciplinary Design Research Symposium Series “Collaboration: Organising for Design Impact and Value“; April 7-9, Barcelona, Spain
- 2013 AMA SERVSIG Best Article Award: Recognizes the best service research article across international marketing journals published during the previous year (being the first Australian-based researcher to win this prestigious international award)
- 2013 Finalist for Best Paper in the Journal of Service Research, the leading international journal for service science
- 2011 Award and Grant of The Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC): Sponsorship for Presenting at the S-D Logic Seminar and Workshop at The University of Auckland Business School, New Zealand, 11 - 12 March.
- 2009 Best Paper Award, Strategic Marketing Track, ANZMAC Conference, 30 November - 02 December, Australia.
- 2008 Otago Forum 2 Postgraduate Scholarship Award for Best PhD Student Paper, Granted by The University of Otago, New Zealand
Teaching Awards and Recognitions
- 2014 ANZMAC-Pearson (Australian & New Zealand Marketing Academy) Emerging Marketing Educator of the Year Award (international-level teaching award)
- 2014-2012 College of Business Recognition of Teaching Excellence / Good Teaching Scale (GTS) Achievement Award (college-level teaching recognition)
- 2013 National Australian Government’s Office for Learning and Teaching (OLT) Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning (national Australian-level teaching award)
- 2013 RMIT University Vice-Chancellor’s Distinguished Teaching Award in recognition of an outstanding and sustained contribution to teaching excellence (university-level teaching award)
- 2013 RMIT University Early Career Academic, Higher Education Teaching Award (university- and college-level teaching award)
- 2012 Head of School Excellence in Teaching Award, RMIT University (school-level teaching award)
- 2011 Head of School Excellence in Teaching Award, RMIT University, with Foula Kopanidis and Brian McCauley (school-level teaching award)
PhD, The University of Melbourne, Australia, 2011
Ingo collaborates closely with industry partners to develop innovative and design-led strategy solutions. These partners include both businesses and non-profit organisations.
The importance of industry-relevant research is also reflected in his academic journal articles and his practitioner-oriented book on strategic design Strategic Design: 8 Essential Practices Every Strategic Designer Must Master.
- Plewa, C.,Ho, J.,Conduit, J.,Karpen, I. (2016). Reputation in higher education: A fuzzy set analysis of resource configurations In: Journal of Business Research, 69, 3087 - 3095
- Hollebeek, L.,Conduit, J.,Sweeney, J.,Soutar, G.,Karpen, I.,Jarvis, W.,Chen, T. (2016). Epilogue to the Special Issue and reflections on the future of engagement research In: Journal of Marketing Management, 32, 586 - 594
- Tierney, D.,Karpen, I.,Westberg, K. (2016). (In Press) Brand meaning cocreation: toward a conceptualization and research implications In: Journal of Service Theory and Practice, 26, 1 - 38
- Rahman, K.,Karpen, I.,Reid, M.,Yuksel, U. (2015). Customer-to-customer interactions and word of mouth: Conceptual extensions and empirical investigations In: Journal of Strategic Marketing, 23, 287 - 304
- Karpen, I.,Bove, L.,Lukas, B.,Zyphur, M. (2015). Service-dominant orientation: Measurement and impact on performance outcomes In: Journal of Retailing, 91, 89 - 108
- Laud, G.,Karpen, I.,Mulye, R.,Rahman, K. (2015). The role of embeddedness for resource integration: Complementing S-D logic research through a social capital perspective In: Marketing Theory, 15, 509 - 543
- Karpen, I.,Bove, L.,Lukas, B. (2012). Linking service-dominant logic and strategic business practice: A conceptual model of a service-dominant orientation In: Journal of Service Research, 15, 21 - 38
- Josiassen, A.,Assaf, A.,Karpen, I. (2011). Consumer ethnocentrism and willingness to buy: Analyzing the role of three demographic consumer characteristics In: International Marketing Review, 28, 627 - 646
- Josiassen, A.,Polonsky, M.,Karpen, I. (2010). Empirical examination of the effect of consumers' product origin familiarity on their quality perceptions In: Proceedings of the 2008 AMA Educators' Enhancing Knowledge Development in Marketing, San Diego, USA, 08-11 August, 2008
- Karpen, I.,Bove, L.,Josiassen, A. (2008). Proposing and conceptualizing a service-dominant strategic orientation In: Proceedings of the 2008 AMA Winter Educators' conference: Marketing Theory and Applications, Austin, Texas, 15-18 February, 2008
- Innovation in an agri-technological business context. Funded by: Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Contract from (2013 to 2013)
2 PhD Completions4 PhD Current Supervisions