- Lecturer (Assistant Professor) at School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT (2014-present)
- Research Fellow at the Centre for Neural Engineering and Bionic Vision Australia at The University of Melbourne, working on an Australian flagship research initiative, Bionic Eye (2011-2014)
- Visiting Research Scientist at the University of California at Santa Barbara (2014)
- PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Adelaide with the Postgraduate University Alumni Medal, and a University Research Medal (2012)
Recipient of more than a dozen fellowship, scholarships and awards, including South Australia’s Young Nanotechnology Ambassador in 2011 presented by the Australian Nanotechnology Network.
There are always positions available for highly motivated postgraduate students interested in working on the broad topics of interests and their applications (under “supervisor interests”).
Outstanding students may check their eligibility for the Vice Chancellor’s PhD Scholarship (VCPS), International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS), and RMIT PhD International Scholarship (RPIS) and Australian Postgraduate Awards (only locals are considered for an APA).
For a full list of publications, citations, and h-indix please visit my Google Scholar profile.
Teaching and supervision activities
Teaches electronic design courses and supervising PhD, Masters students and groups of undergraduate students.
PhD (Electronics), University of Adelaide, Australia (2012)
- Technical Committee member of the IEEE’s Nanoelectronics and Gigascale Systems (NanoGiga TC), of the IEEE’s Circuits and Systems (IEEECAS) Society.
- Review Editor, Frontiers in Neuromorphic Engineering, specialty section of Frontiers in Neuroscience in neuromorphic engineering.
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on “Solid-State Memristive Devices and Systems’’, the IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, JETCAS.
- Program Committee member of the 5th Annual International Conference on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures (BICA 2014), November 79, 2014, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) campus, Cambridge, MA 02139, United States.
Reviewer for competitive research funding
- Australian Research Council (ARC)
- Human Brain Project
- US-Israel Binational Science Foundation
- Nature Communications
- Advanced Functional Materials
- Proceedings of the IEEE
- Frontiers in Neuroscience
- IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology
- IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I and II
- PLoS One
- ACM Transactions on Design Automation of Electronic Systems
- Physica Status Solidi (a)
- Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures
- Neural Computing and Applications
- Neural Networks, Elsevier
- IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices
- IEEE Electron Device Letters
- IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems
- IEEE Transactions on Computers
- IET Circuits, Devices and Systems
- Co-chair of a Special Session on “Memristive Neuromorphic Systems’’ at the 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), held in Melbourne, June 1–5, 2014.
- Co-organiser of the CAS-FEST 2014 at the IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS) on ‘‘Memristive devices, circuits, systems and application’’, held in Melbourne, June 1–5, 2014. The 2014 Circuits and Systems Society Forum on Emerging and Selected Topics (CAS-FEST) held after the ISCAS in Melbourne.
- Co-leader at the 2013 Telluride Neuromorphic Cognition Engineering Workshop on ‘‘Emerging Technology Discussion Group: Cognitive Computing with Emerging Nanodevices’’, held in Telluride, Colorado, June 30–July 20, 2013.
- The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) (Senior membership)
- IEEE Electron Devices Society
- IEEE Solid-State Circuits Society
- IEEE Nanotechnology Council
- IEEE Sensors Council
- IEEE Technology Management Council
- IEEE Council on Electronic Design Automation
- IEEE Biometrics Council
- The Australian Nanotechnology Network (ANN)
- The Australian Research Network for Advanced Materials (ARNAM) (2009-2012)
- Gao, Y.,Kavehei, O.,Al-Sarawi, S.,Ranasinghe, D.,Abbott, D. (2016). Read operation performance of large selectorless cross-point array with self-rectifying memristive device In: Integration, the VLSI Journal, 54, 56 - 64
- Gao, Y.,Ranasinghe, D.,Al-Sarawi, S.,Kavehei, O.,Abbott, D. (2016). Emerging physical unclonable functions with nanotechnology In: IEEE Access, 4, 61 - 80
- Gao, Y.,Li, G.,Ma, H.,Al-Sarawi, S.,Kavehei, O.,Abbott, D.,Ranasinghe, D. (2016). Obfuscated challenge-response: A secure lightweight authentication mechanism for PUF-based pervasive devices In: Proceedings of the 13th IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communication Workshops (PerCom Workshops 2016) - The First IEEE International Workshop on Security, Privacy and Trust for IoT, 2016 (SPT-IoT), Sydney, Australia, 14-18 March 2016
- Nili Ahmadabadi, H.,Walia, S.,Esmaiel Zadeh Kandjani, A.,Ramanathan, R.,Gutruf, P.,Ahmed, T.,Balendhran, S.,Bansal, V.,Strukov, D.,Kavehei, O.,Bhaskaran, M.,Sriram, S. (2015). Donor-induced performance tuning of amorphous SrTiO3 memristive nanodevices: Multistate resistive switching and mechanical tunability In: Advanced Functional Materials, 25, 3172 - 3182
- Gao, Y.,Ranasinghe, D.,Al-Sarawi, S.,Kavehei, O.,Abbott, D. (2015). Memristive crypto primitive for building highly secure physical unclonable functions In: Scientific Reports, 5, 1 - 14
- Gao, Y.,Ranasinghe, D.,Al-Sarawi, S.,Kavehei, O.,Abbott, D. (2015). mrPUF: A novel memristive device based physical unclonable function In: Applied Cryptography and Network Security, Springer, Switzerland
- Tran, N.,Bai, S.,Yang, J.,Chun, H.,Kavehei, O.,Yang, Y.,Muktamath, V.,Ng, D.,Meffin, H.,Halpern, M.,Skafidas, E. (2014). A complete 256-electrode retinal prosthesis chip In: IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, 49, 751 - 765
- Cho, K.,Lee, S.,Kavehei, O.,Eshraghian, K. (2014). High fill factor low-voltage CMOS image sensor based on time-to-threshold PWM VLSI architecture In: IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, 22, 1548 - 1556
- Kornijcuk, V.,Kavehei, O.,Lim, H.,Seok, J.,Kim, S.,Kim, I.,Lee, W.,Choi, B.,Jeong, D. (2014). Multiprotocol-induced plasticity in artificial synapses In: Nanoscale, 6, 15151 - 15160
- Kavehei, O.,Skafidas, E. (2014). Highly scalable neuromorphic hardware with 1-bit stochastic nano-synapses In: Poceedings of 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), Melbourne, Australia, 1 - 5 June 2014
- Low Temperature Co-fired Ceramic Device Fabrication Facility . Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) 2016 from (2016 to 2016)
- Foundations for Physically Unclonable nano-Security on Silicon - Administered by The University of Adelaide. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects via other University Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2016)
4 PhD Current Supervisions