Seth is a teacher and researcher who specialises in nonfiction video practices on new media platforms.
Seth Keen is a New Zealand–Australian documentary designer and producer, who has worked for 20 years in the film and television industry. He is a lecturer in new media at RMIT University in Melbourne. Seth holds a MA (by Research) in Media Arts and a PhD (Media and Communication).
His academic research on documentary design engages with developments occurring in interactive documentary. Interested in media innovation, Seth collaborates with research, cultural and commercial partners on the design of audio-visual works, archives and tools. Projects include an interactive online video website (World Vision Australia) and online audio-visual archive (ARC Discovery, The University of Melbourne).
Seth in collaboration with the Institute of Network Cultures in Amsterdam facilitated the Video Vortex conference series, a critical forum on online video. He is currently co-organising the 2015 Mobile Innovation Network Aotearoa (MINA) symposium and international screening on mobile filmmaking in Melbourne.
Personal website – www.sethkeen.net
Twitter - twitter.com/keenseth
Academia.edu - https://rmit.academia.edu/SethKeen
Publications - www.sethkeen.net/portfolio/publications
Research Projects - www.sethkeen.net/portfolio
‘Documentary Design blog’ - www.docodesign.org
‘netvideo, nonvideo, new video’ PhD research blog- www.sethkeen.net/blog
Seth teaches studios in the professional strand of the undergraduate and postgraduate Media Program, with a specific focus on nonfiction video practices on new media platforms. Current studios include ‘Designing i-docs’, ‘Online Video Experiments’ and ‘Mobile Videography’.
Consultation by appointment
- Doctor of Philosophy, RMIT University
- Master of Arts, University of Technology Sydney
- Keen, S. (2014). Dead TV: Cancel Delete In: Mobile Innovation Network Aotearoa (MINA) - peer review panel Wellington, New Zealand
- Miles, A.,Proctor, J.,O'Donnell, K.,Soar, M.,Keen, S.,Luers, W. (2013). Quickened - A Video iBook In: Axon: Creative Explorations Melbourne, Australia
- Keen, S. (2013). Ramblings of a post-industrial media maker In: Mobile Innovation Network Aotearoa (MINA) - peer review panel Wellington, New Zealand
- Keen, S. (2010). Purrumbete Verandah In: The Stony Rises Project Melbourne, Australia
- Palmer, L.,Keen, S. (2010). Wai Lia Bere In: Community Screening Darasula Village, Baucau District, East Timor
- Keen, S.,Deverell, K.,Wolf, D. (2009). Bogota Colombia In: Virtual Tour: Bogota, Colombia Melbourne, Australia
- Keen, S.,Wolf, D.,Deverell, K. (2008). Glasshouse Birdman In: Conference Melbourne, Australia
- Deverell, K.,Keen, S.,Wolf, D. (2007). Videodefunct: pedestrian In: NewMediaFest 07, JavaMuseum Online
- Keen, S. (2006). boomsplatbangwhack In: Boom Baby Boom Brisbane, Australia
- Keen, S. (2006). The Hazzards In: Memory Grid Collection Melbourne, Australia
- Stony rises. Funded by: Arts Victoria from (2010 to 2011)
- Reconnecting with Water: Lessons from a diverse economy (Timor Water Online Archive). Administered by The University of Melbourne.. Funded by: University of Melbourne from (2010 to 2011)
2 PhD Current Supervisions