Mr Roger Kemp is the Program Director of Interior Design at RMIT University.
Roger Kemp sees the interior as a site of negotiation. His research concentrates on the change of interior environments over time through physical interaction and changes in perception. His work is primarily developed through the production of spatial artifacts and drawings that document and engage with conditions of space determined by a participatory engagement. Methods of navigation and the creative re-use of existing space are drivers of the research.
Negotiation, Wayfinding, Narrative
Set design for film and television
Expanded Field Group.
4th Year Co-ordinator
Member School Learning and Teaching Committee
PhD in progress (Interior Design), by project, Expanded Field, RMIT University.
MA (Interior Design), by project, RMIT University, 2006
Looking into looking through: negotiating space an interior practice. School of Architecture and Design, Interior Design Thesis (M.A.) RMIT University, 2006. Libraries Australia ID 40659705 Record ID NBD40659705
BA (Honours, Interior Design), RMIT University, 1991
DIA. (Design Institute of Australia) Educators Association. 2011 to present.
Shortlisted for the Australian Interior Design Awards – Project: 3 Tonne ‘o’ Space – Category Installation Design, 2009
Winner of Category: student centered teaching - Higher Education RMIT University, 2001.
- Kemp, R.,Fryatt, A. (2014). Quick/Slow Transition In: THISNESS Collingwood, Victoria, Australia
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R. (2013). Making Space: Display Tactics (Lab F Foxtrot) In: Tasmeen Doha Hybrid Making Doha, Qatar
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R. (2012). Complexity and Fullness In: IDEA 2012 Exhibition: An Interior Affair Perth, Australia
- Carlin, D.,Ritchard, P.,Rogers, C.,Kemp, R.,Fryatt, A. (2011). The Motel project: reflections on a film production/interior design collaboration In: Text, 15, 1 - 15
- Kemp, R. (2011). Negotiating space: an interior practice In: Occupation: Negotiations with Constructed Space, Brighton, UK, 2-4 July, 2009
- Kemp, R.,Fryatt, A. (2011). The Temperature's Rising (series two). Directed by Leo Berkeley In: The Temperature's Rising (series two) Melbourne, Australia
- Kemp, R.,Fryatt, A. (2011). In the Pines. Curated by Joseph Norster In: In the Pines Melbourne, Australia
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R.,Smith, P.,Gochman, D.,Herbert, A.,Teltscher Taylor, Z.,Baker-Gabb, P. (2010). The Temperature's Rising In: The Temperature's Rising Melbourne, Australia
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R. (2010). Layered Space In: X-Field Melbourne, Australia
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R.,Carlin, D.,Ritchard, P. (2009). The Motel Project In: The Motel Project - Premiere Screening Melbourne, Australia
2 Masters by Research Completions