Dr. Lappas lectures and conducts research in Thermodynamics and Fluid mechanics and in Renewable Energy Systems. He also has a coordinating role in the Master of Sustainable Energy Program.
- Improving thermal efficiency of internal combustion engines
- Laser diagnostics of flow and combustion (e.g., PIV, LDV, spectroscopy, flow visualisation, CARS)
- Aerosols and two-phase flow
- Renewable energy systems
Accomplishments and achievements
- Westcoast Energy Inc. Jack Davis Scholarship, University of British Columbia, 2000.
- University Graduate Scholarship, University of British Columbia, 1998 to 2000.
- First prize team, SAE aero design competition report, 2000, California, U.S.A.
- Ph.D., Thermo and Fluid Dynamics, University of British Columbia
- M.Eng.Sc., Applied Thermodynamics, University of Melbourne
- B.Sc.Eng., Physics and Mechanical Engineering, Monash University
- 2007-2009: Postdoctoral Researcher, High Temperature Gasdynamics Laboratory, Stanford University, U.S.A
- 2003-2007: Research Scientist, NRCan (CanMet Labs), Ottawa, Canada
- Orr, B.,Akbarzadeh, A.,Lappas, P. (2016). (In Press) An exhaust heat recovery system utilizing thermoelectric generators and heat pipes In: Applied Thermal Engineering, , 1 - 12
- Rogers, T.,Petersen, P.,Koopmans, L.,Lappas, P.,Boretti, A. (2015). Structural characteristics of hydrogen and compressed natural gas fuel jets In: International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 40, 1584 - 1597
- Thomas, I.,Porter, N.,Lappas, P. (2015). Assessment of the viability of vegetable oil fuels - species, land, social, environmental, population and safety considerations In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Sustainable Automotive Technologies (ICSAT 2014), Gothenburg, Sweden, 29 September-1 October 2014
- Orr, B.,Akbarzadeh, A.,Lappas, P. (2015). Reducing automobile CO2 emissions with an exhaust heat recovery system utilising thermoelectric generators and heat pipes In: SAE Technical Papers, , 1 - 7
- Rogers, T.,Petersen, P.,Lappas, P. (2015). Flow characteristics of compressed natural gas delivery for direct injection spark ignition engines In: SAE Technical Papers, , 1 - 13
- Karra, P.,Rogers, T.,Lappas, P. (2015). Air entrainment in gaseous fuel jets using particle image velocimetry and high speed schlieren photography in a constant volume chamber In: SAE Technical Papers, , 1 - 9
- Thomas, I.,Porter, N.,Lappas, P. (2014). Assessment of the viability of vegetable oil based fuels In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference ICSAT 2013, Ingolstadt, Germany, 25-27 September 2013
- Rogers, T.,Petersen, P.,Karra, P.,Lappas, P. (2014). Delivery evaluation of high pressure natural gas fuel injection In: Sustainable Automotive Technologies 2014: Proceedings of the 6th ICSAT: Part of the series Lecture Notes in Mobility, Springer, Switzerland
- Orr, B.,Akbarzadeh, A.,Lappas, P. (2014). Predicting the performance of a car exhaust heat recovery system that utilises thermoelectric generators and heat pipes In: Proceedings of the 52nd Australian Solar Energy Society Annual Conference (Solar 2014), Melbourne, Australia, 8-9 May 2014
- Lappas, P.,Daniel McCartt, A.,Gates, S.,Jeffries, J.,Hanson, R. (2014). Laser measurements of bacterial endospore destruction from shock waves In: Proceedings of SPIE Volume 8923, Micro/Nano Materials, Devices, and Systems, Melbourne, Australia, 9-11 December 2013
2 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions