Areas of research and expertise
- Artificial intelligence
- Conversation modelling
- Human-machine communication systems
- Emotion recognition and real-time tracking systems
- Emotionally capable technologies
- Affective computing
- Pattern recognition
- Biomedical speech and image processing
- Computational psychology
- Speech based diagnostics
- Speech and audio acoustics
Grants and awards
- 2013: Vice-Chancellor’s Research Supervision Excellence Award, RMIT, 2013.
- 2013: IETE Golden Jubilee Research Award for the Best Research Paper.
- 2013: School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT, SEED Research Grant.
- 2011: School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT, SEED Research Grant.
- 2010-2011: Winner of Telstra Innovation Challenge 2010.
- 2007-2010: Australian Research Council Linkage Project LP0776235 grant.
- 2007: RMIT Research Award.
- 2001-2002: Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing (VPAC) Expertise Program Research Grant, (EPPNRM055.2001).
- 1996: Engineering Excellence Award, Highly Commended Award.
Google Scholar citations
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Postgraduate Diploma in Biomedical Engineering, Warsaw University of Technology, Poland
- Master of Science in Physics, Maria Curie-SkÅ‚odowska University, Poland
- 2005 – Senior Lecturer, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- 1998 – Lecturer , School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- 1996 – 1998, Research Fellow, The Bionic Ear Institute, Co-Operative Research Centre for Cochlear Implant, Speech and Hearing Research, Melbourne, Australia
- 1993 – 1996, Research Fellow, Department of Electrical Engineering, Monash University, Australia
- 1982 – 1987, Lecturer, Institute of Physics, The University of Maria Curie Sklodowska, Poland
- Stolar, M.,Lech, M.,Sheeber, L.,Allen, N. (2016). Quantitative and Qualitative Insights into Emotional Interaction Patterns in Families with Clinically Depressed and Non-Depressed Adolescents In: Clinical depression, 2, 1 - 7
- Albahri, A.,Lech, M.,Cheng, E. (2016). Effect of speech compression on the automatic recognition of emotions In: International Journal of Signal Processing Systems, , 55 - 61
- Fayek, H.,Lech, M.,Cavedon, L. (2016). On the correlation and transferability of features between automatic speech recognition and speech emotion recognition In: Proceedings of the Interspeech 2016 Conference, San Francisco, United States, 8-12 September 2016
- He, L.,Zhang, J.,Liu, Q.,Yin, H.,Lech, M.,Huang, Y. (2015). Automatic evaluation of hypernasality Based on a Cleft Palate Speech Database In: Journal of Medical Systems, 39, 1 - 7
- Mohamed, S.,Beckett, P.,Lech, M. (2015). Effect of fixed point computations on anger classification in speech signals In: Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE Symposium on Computer Applications and Industrial Electronics (ISCAIE 2015), Langkawi, Malaysia, 12-14 April 2015
- Fayek, H.,Lech, M.,Cavedon, L. (2015). Towards real-time speech emotion recognition using deep neural networks In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS 2015), Cairns, Australia, 14-16 December 2015
- Stolar, M.,Lech, M.,Burnett, I. (2015). Prediction of emotional states in parent-adolescent conversations using non-linear autoregressive neural networks In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS 2015), Cairns, Australia, 14-16 December 2015
- Hussenbocus, A.,Lech, M.,Allen, N. (2015). Statistical differences in speech acoustics of major depressed and non-depressed adolescents In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS 2015), Cairns, Australia, 14-16 December 2015
- Quinn, L.,Lech, M. (2015). Multi-stage classification network for automatic age estimation from facial images In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS 2015), Cairns, Australia, 14-16 December 2015
- Stolar, M.,Lech, M.,Allen, N. (2015). Detection of depression in adolescents based on statistical modeling of emotional influences in parent-adolescent conversations In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP 2015), Queensland, Australia, 19-24 April 2015
- Real-time mental state tracker: a mobile phone based approach. Funded by: Defence Science Institute Collaborative Research Scheme 2015, Round 1 from (2015 to 2016)
- Diagnosis of depressive disorder and risk for depression in adolescents using acoustic speech analysis. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2007 Round 2 from (2007 to 2012)
- Optimization of Practical Holey Fibres. Funded by: VPAC Expertise Grant pre-2014 from (2001 to 2002)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
14 PhD Completions and 5 Masters by Research Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions
Digital signal processing, speech processing, psychoacoustics, image processing, system modelling and optimisation and 3-D image registration.