Dr Crystal Legacy is a Vice Chancellor’s Research Fellow (January 2014 - December 2016) and Australian Research Council Fellow (DECRA) (July 2014 - July 2017). Crystal’s research interests include participatory planning and infrastructure delivery; urban governance and strategic planning; growth paradigms and urban resilience; and planning tools. Crystal is the co-editor of the book Building Inclusive Cities: Women’s safety and the right to the city (2013, Routledge).
National research grants
- ARC DECRA, AU$392,815, Principal Investigator ’Planning in a state of panic: Did the economic crisis transform city making practices for the long term?’, 2014-2017.
- Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI) Grant, grant total AU$127,264, Investigator, a project that examines local opposition to affordable housing projects, 2012-2013.
Full Member of the Planning Institute of Australia through the Social Planning and Urban & Regional Planning Chapters.
- PhD, University of Melbourne, 2010
- Master of Environment, University of Melbourne, 2005
- Bachelors of Environmental Studies (Hons), University of Waterloo, Canada, 2004
- Legacy, C.,Leshinsky, J. (2016). Planning instruments and the urban change process In: Instruments of Planning: Tensions and Challenges for More Equitable and Sustainable Cities, Routledge, United States
- Leshinsky, R.,Legacy, C. (2016). Instruments of planning: tensions and challenges for more equitable and sustainable cities In: Instruments of Planning: Tensions and Challenges for More Equitable and Sustainable Cities, Routledge, United Kingdom
- McAfee, A.,Legacy, C. (2016). Community deliberation as a procedural planning tool: examination of Vancouver and Melbourne In: Instruments of Planning: Tension and Challenges for More Equitable and Sustainable Cities, Routledge, New York, United States
- Legacy, C.,Davison, G.,Liu, E. (2016). Delivering social housing: examining the nexus between social housing and democratic planning In: Housing, Theory and Society, , 1 - 18
- Davison, G.,Legacy, C.,Liu, E.,DARCY, M. (2016). The factors driving the escalation of community opposition to affordable housing development In: Urban Policy and Research, , 1 - 14
- Legacy, C.,Lowe, M.,Cole-Hawthorne, R. (2016). (Re)constituting urban research in a neoliberal planning climate In: Australian Planner, 53, 1 - 4
- Legacy, C.,Van Den Nouwelant, R. (2015). Negotiating strategic planning's transitional spaces: the case of 'guerrilla governance' in infrastructure planning In: Environment and Planning A, 47, 209 - 226
- Legacy, C. (2015). Transforming transport planning in the postpolitical era In: Urban Studies, , 1 - 17
- Steele, W.,McShane, I.,Legacy, C.,Strengers, Y.,Handmer, J.,Pink, S. (2015). The cyborg city: re-thinking urban resilience through mobile communications In: Proceedings of the SOAC 7 - State of Australian Cities Conference (SOAC 2015), Gold Coast, Australia, 9-11 December 2015
- Legacy, C. (2015). Transformability of civic engagement in times of economic crisis In: Proceedings of the State of Australian Cities Conference 2015 (SOAC 2015), Queensland, Australia, 9-11 December 2015
- Public housing transfers and affordable housing system development in a federal context, AHURI 15/PRO/53082. Funded by: AHURI National Housing Research Program - Research Projects 2015 from (2015 to 2016)
- Planning in a state of panic: Did the economic crisis transform city making practices for the long term?. Funded by: ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) 2014 from (2014 to 2016)
3 PhD Current Supervisions