Karen Linstrom is an Educator in the Advanced Diploma of Justice. She is also completing a Master's Degree by Research in Criminal Justice.
Karen's primary role is an Educator. She teaches Correctional Systems, Alcohol and Other Drugs, Case Management, Youth Justice and Human Rights. In addition, Karen co-teaches some courses in the Higher Education sector.
She also offers short courses in Workplace Level II First Aid and Youth Mental Health First Aid.
Karen is currently completing a Master's Degree by Research.
- Currently completing a Master's Degree by Research
- Youth Mental Health First Aid Instructor
- Diploma of VET Practice
- Certificate IV in Workplace Training and Assessment
- Certificate IV in Risk Management
- Certificate II and III in Security Operations
- Graduate Diploma Sociology (Drug Dependence)
- BA Criminal Justice and Welfare Administration
- BA Theology
- Assoc BSc Nuclear Medicine Technology
- BA (major in Biology, minors in Education and Psychology)
- 2000-present: Educator, RMIT University
- 1997-2000: Operations Manager, Group 4 Private Prison at Port Phillip Prison.
Karen was responsible for overseeing staff and maximum-security prisoners, including a high security management unit, the psycho-social unit for mental health needs and the protection units for sex offenders.
- 1984-1997: Department of Justice Victoria.
Karen commenced as a uniformed base-grade officer and retired with the rank of Governor. Her achievements include developing the Individual Management Plan program and she was part of the training team for the first Sex Offender program in Victoria. Karen also co-developed the Special Purpose Unit for offenders with intellectual disabilities. She was a Training Officer for a squad of prison officer recruits and she was part of the Inspector's General Unit for operational review and Inspections. Karen developed links with Community Corrections and Youth Corrections for critical information transfer of at-risk offenders. She was also the Logistical Manager for the first Australasian conference on Drugs in prisons.
Karen has professional links to the Australian Resuscitation Council and the Department of Justice, and she has Youth Mental Health First Aid accreditation.