Fiona Macdonald joined the School of Management and the Centre for Sustainable Organisations and Work in October 2014. Fiona’s current research contributes to two ARC projects examining regulatory strategies and proposing policy for decent work and gender equality: ‘From Margins to Mainstream: Gender Equality and Employment Regulation’ and 'Prospects for Decent Work and Gender Equality in Frontline Care Work'.
Prior to joining RMIT Fiona worked as Research Fellow with the Centre for Work+ Life at the University of South Australia following completion of PhD with the University of Queensland in 2012. She has extensive industry experience and expertise as an applied researcher, research manager and social policy analyst in the areas of work and employment focusing on changing forms of employment, gender, precarious employment, work and family, and the intersections of work and welfare. Fiona has also worked as an organisational development and workplace relations practitioner on a consultancy basis to a diverse range of public and community sector organisations and has extensive experience in governance in the community sector, having served as a director on the boards of a number of not-for-profit bodies.
- Gender equality and employment
- Australian and comparative regulation for decent work
- Informality in employment and the labour market
- Regulating employment on the margins of labour law
- PhD (Political Science), University of Queensland
- Master of Social Science (Social Policy), RMIT University
- Graduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology, RMIT University
- Bachelor of Behavioural Science, La Trobe University
Research Fellow, Centre for Sustainable Organisations and Work / School of Management, RMIT University (Oct 2014 – present).
Research Fellow, Decent work and Gender Equality, Centre for Work + Life, University of South Australia (Sept 2012-Sept 2014).
Panel Member, Victorian State Services Authority Panel of Grievance Review & Workplace Investigations Officers and Independent Chair, Tripartite Work Review Panels (consultancy) (2007-2012).
Research consultant & research associate, (p/t project appointments), School of Political Science and International Studies, University of Queensland: Centre for Applied Social Research, RMIT University; and Centre for Citizenship and Human Rights, Deakin University (2006-2007).
Organisational Consultant and Senior Researcher URCOT (Union Research Centre on Organisations and Technology) (2005-2006).
Executive Director, Equity Research Centre, Victorian industry advisory body on equity and diversity in employment, education and training (2001-2004).
Research & Policy Manager (Research Officer until 1997), Brotherhood of St Laurence (1994-2004).
Various appointments: Vocational Counsellor, Sessional Lecturer (psychology and sociology), Student Employment Officer, RMIT University (1987-1994).
Honorary appointments and professional and community service
Member, Board of Directors, Brotherhood of St Laurence (2013 present).
Member, Board of Directors & Chair, Client Services & Social Policy Committee, Wesley Mission Victoria (2006-2011).
Member, Board of Directors, AFL SportsReady Group Training Company (2002-2005).
Member, Community Advisory Panel on Equity and Diversity to the Department of Education and Training, Victoria (2002-2004).
Member, Board of Directors, Victorian Welfare Rights Unit (1998-2004).
Member, Advisory Panel, Victorian Government Social Indicators Project (1999-2001).
Member: Association of Industrial Relations Academics of Australia and New Zealand
- Macdonald, F.,Charlesworth, S. (2016). Cash for care under the NDIS: Shaping care workers' working conditions? In: Journal of Industrial Relations, 58, 627 - 646
- Charlesworth, S.,Macdonald, F. (2015). Australia's gender pay equity legislation: how new, how different, what prospects? In: Cambridge Journal of Economics, 39, 421 - 440
- Charlesworth, S.,Macdonald, F. (2015). The decent work agenda and the advancement of gender equality: for emerging economies only? In: International Journal of Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relations, 31, 5 - 25
- Charlesworth, S.,Macdonald, F. (2015). Women, work and industrial relations in Australia in 2014 In: Journal of Industrial Relations, 57, 366 - 382
- Charlesworth, S.,Macdonald, F. (2014). Women, work and industrial relations in Australia in 2013 In: Journal of Industrial Relations, 56, 381 - 396
- Macdonald, F.,Charlesworth, S. (2013). Equal pay under the fair work act 2009 (Cth): mainstreamed or marginalised? In: University of New South Wales Law Journal, 36, 563 - 586
- Bailey, J.,Macdonald, F.,Whitehouse, G. (2012). 'No leg to stand on': The moral economy of Australian industrial relations changes In: Economic and Industrial Democracy, 33, 441 - 461
- Pocock, B.,Elton, J.,Preston, A.,Charlesworth, S.,Macdonald, F.,Baird, M.,Ellern, B. (2008). The impact of 'work choices' on women in low paid employment in Australia: A qualitative analysis In: Journal of Industrial Relations, 50, 475 - 488
- Charlesworth, S.,Macdonald, F. (2008). The unpaid parental leave standard: what standard? In: Workers, Corportations and Community: Facing Choices for a Sustainable Future. Proceedings of the 22nd Conference of the Association of Industrial Relations Academics of Australia and New Zealand (AIRAANZ), Melbourne, Australia, 6-8 February 2008
- Paid work in cash-for-care: Australia in comparative perspective . Funded by: ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) 2016 from (2016 to 2018)
- 2015 Vice-Chancellor's Senior Research Fellowship (MacDonald). Funded by: RMIT Vice-Chancellor's Senior Research Fellowship from (2015 to 2019)
1 PhD Current Supervisions