Brigid Magner is a lecturer in the School of Media and Communication at RMIT.
Brigid teaches at Undergraduate, Honours and Masters level. Her courses include:
- Contemporary Australian Writing
- Reading Space and Place
Brigid also supervises Honours, Masters and PhDs in areas such as publishing, literary history, creative writing and Australian literature.
- Teaches into the Literary Studies and Creative Writing programs in the School of Media & Communication
- Coordinates the Teachers At Work seminar series within the RMIT School of Media and Communication
- Convenes activities within the non/fictionLab research centre such as Writing Writing and Creative Workshop
- New directions in publishing
- The history of the book
- Trans-Tasman literary culture
- Australian and New Zealand literature
- Criminality and literature
- Literary tourism
- Regional literary history
- On the Trail: Reading Literary Places in Australia
- Reading/Writing the Mallee
- Katharine Susannah Prichard Writers Centre Fellowship 2016
- State Library of Victoria Creative Fellowship 2015-2016.
- RMIT Early Career Research Award 2008
Masters of Education, RMIT University
Graduate Certificate, Tertiary Teaching & Learning, RMIT University
PhD, School of Visual, Literary & Performance Studies, Monash University
MA (Distinction), University of Auckland
BA Hons. (English), University of Auckland
Guest lectures for the Creative Industries Project, Cinema & Media program, La Trobe University and for the Publishing program at Monash University.
Keynote conference presentations on literary tourism in Australia.
Convener of plenary session at Small Press Network conference at the Wheeler Centre 2015.
Participant in roundtable discussion about Melbourne as a City of Literature convened by Writers Victoria 2016.
- Society for the History of Authorship Reading & Publishing (SHARP)
- Association for the Study of Australian Literature (ASAL)
- Writers Victoria
- Small Press Network
- non/fictionLab research centre (RMIT)
- Magner, B. (2016). Brigid Magner: Literary Criticism Portfolio In: Various Various
- Magner, B. (2016). 'Looking through time itself': Henry Handel Richardson and the haunting of Lake View In: Literary Geographies, 1, 195 - 212
- Magner, B. (2016). Henry lives!: Learning from Lawson fandom In: M/C Media Culture, 19, -
- Magner, B. (2015). 'Not all gumnuts and outback': exploring the attitudes of creative writing students towards Australian literature In: Text, 19, 1 - 15
- Magner, B. (2015). Writing from the cellar: Revisiting Villa Isola Bella In: Katherine Mansfield and Literary Influence, Edinburgh University Press, United Kingdom
- Magner, B. (2014). Shantaram: portrait of a bestseller In: Antipodes: A Global Journal of Australian/New Zealand Literature, 27, 213 - 225
- Magner, B. (2013). Finding Furphy country: such is life and literary tourism In: JASAL - Journal of the Association for the Study of Australian Literature, 13, 1 - 18
- Magner, B. (2012). Behind the bookscan bestseller lists: Technology and cultural anxieties in early twenty-first-century Australia In: Script and Print, 36, 243 - 258
- Magner, B. (2010). The Kiwi Croc-Hunter: Barry Crump's adventures in gulf country In: NZSA Bulletin of New Zealand Studies, 1, 95 - 112
- Magner, B. (2008). "When Iris met Eve: An Australian friendship" In: Lighted Windows: Critical Essays on Robin Hyde, Otago University Press, New Zealand
- Behind the Bookscan Top 10: An investigation of shifts in bookselling practices since 2000 . Funded by: RMIT Emerging Researcher Grants from (2008 to 2009)
1 PhD Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions