Scott Mayson is a lecturer in Industrial Design in the School of Architecture and Design and a member of RMIT's Centre for Additive Manufacturing.
Dr Mayson's current research is focused through two main practice-based streams:
- User-centred design examining how innovative approaches to design thinking principles can create inclusive services and products for society, irrespective of peoples, age or ability.
- Second, additive manufacturing (3d printing) practices through innovative applications in biomedical and product design.
Dr Mayson has developed novel solutions to healthcare product design utilising emerging 3D technologies, including original approaches to biomedical implant scaffolds for anterior cruciate ligament ligament reconstruction.
Recent projects include adapting Google glass to aid breastfeeding mothers (project for the Australian Breastfeeding Association and Small World Social) and a novel adaption of scanner technology for infant biometric data collection in developing countries (collaboration with RMIT colleagues).
- Suncorp Replicar Futures project
- Glass Feed: Google Glass
- Bicycle Network Australia
- Australian design working with China: Case studies of SME industrial design collaboration with Chinese manufacturers
Practice Research website http://scottmayson.com/
- Practice-based research
- Supervisor of practice-based and research thesis PhD candidates
- User Centred Design (GRAP1031)
- Critical & Creative Concerns (GRAP 1033)
- Design in the Research Context (GRAP1035)
- Advanced CAID (GRAP2075)
- Advanced Industrial Design Prototyping (GRAP2077)
Teaching Website: http://upperpool.rmit.edu.au/
College of Design and Social Context
- Member CHEAN A, Ethics committee
BDes (IndDes) (Hons), Swinburne University of Technology
PhD, Swinburne University of Technology (current)
- Leary, M.,Piola, R.,Shimeta, J.,Toppi, S.,Mayson, S.,McMillan, M.,Brandt, M. (2016). Additive manufacture of anti-biofouling inserts for marine applications In: Rapid Prototyping Journal, 22, 416 - 434
- Duckworth, J.,Mumford, N.,Caeyenberghs, K.,Eldridge, R.,Mayson, S.,Thomas, P.,Shum, D.,Williams, G.,Wilson, P. (2015). Resonance: an interactive tabletop artwork for co-located group rehabilitation and play In: Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction. Access to Learning, Health and Well-Being. Part III., Los Angeles, United States of America, 2-7 August 2015
- Mayson, S. (2014). Google Glass 'Glass Feed' trial In: Breastfeeding mothers get help from Google Glass and Small World Melbourne, Australia
- Mayson, S.,Davis, S.,Horadam, K.,McVernon, J. (2014). Happy Feet - Foot Biometric scaning In: The Future is Here Melbourne, Australia
- Mayson, S. (2013). People-centred desktop design and manufacture: a review of web enabled open source tools for localised community focused inclusive design In: Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Inclusive Design (Include 2013), Hong Kong, China, 2 July 2013 - 3 July 2013
- Mayson, S.,De La Harpe, B.,Mason, T. (2009). Digital feedback assemblages: Portfolio feedback in the industrial design studio In: Cumulus 38� South: Hemispheric shifts across learning, teaching and research, Melbourne, Australia, 12 - 14 November 2009
- Mayson, S.,De La Harpe, B.,Mason, T. (2009). Exploring the use of digital textual, visual and audio feedback in design studio In: Conference Proceedings of the ATN Assessment Conference 2009: Assessment in Different Dimensions, Melbourne, Australia, 19-20 Nov 2009
- Trathen, S.,Varadarajan, S.,Mayson, S. (2007). When Australian Design Works in China: Contemporary practice in design In: Proceedings of ConnectED 2007 International Conference on Design Education, Sydney Australia, 9th - 1th July 2007
- Mayson, S. (2007). Design Innovation in Orthopaedics: Challenging conventional thinking In: The 8th International Research Conference on Quality, Innovation and Knowledge Management - Industry and Academia Collaborating to Meet the Challenges of the Global Economy, New Delhi, India, 12 - 14 February, 2007
2 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions