Dr Maggie McCormick is Program Manager, Master of Arts (Art in Public Space), School of Art, RMIT University.
Dr McCormick is a practicing artist, independent curator, writer and researcher who has exhibited, curated and undertaken research projects, presentations and publications in Australia, Europe and Asia. Her key research focus is the relationship between urbanization, digitalization and perceptions of identity and how this is evidenced in contemporary art practice.
Dr McCormick is a core research member of the Centre for Art, Society and Transformation and a member of the Design Research Institute.
Current research projects
SkypeLab: Transcontinental Faces and Spaces researches the role of drawing and portraiture in the public space of Skype to establish new knowledge in relation to perceptions of identity mediated by screens in an urbanized and digitalized world. The research is undertaken with Professor Henning Eichinger as an inter university project between Art in Public Space, School of Art, RMIT University and Fine Art Conception, School of Textiles & Design, Reutlingen University, Germany and presented in co-operation with the Goethe-Institut Australia. 2012/2013 SkypeLabs were undertaken at Gertrude Street Projection Festival. Melbourne; the City Library, Melbourne; Project Space/Spare Room, RMIT University; City Hall, Reutlingen, Germany in association with a full colour, hard copy publication and on line at ARTE Creative TV (France/Germany) in association with art residencies at Reutlingen University and RMIT University. 2014/2015 SkypeLabs extended the research to a third continent by linking to East China Normal University and the Goethe Institute in Shanghai. Research to date will be drawn together in 2016 at the Staedtische Galerie Reutlingen in association with a second publication. The next continent will be South America following on from a SkypeLab presentation at the the International Cartographic Association Conference workshop on Ephemeral Mapping in Rio, August 2015. SkypeLab grew out of an earlier research project titled Skypetrait. Professor Henning Eichinger was awarded the prestigious Landeslehrpreis Baden-Württemberg in 2013 that in part recognised the innovation of this research with Dr Maggie McCormick.
- Peter Burke. Pop Up Art: The creative disruption of everyday life.
- Mary Hackett. The Life of Iron: An exploration of the vitality of an inorganic matter.
- Riza Manalo. Ephemeral City: An artistic exploration of collective memory and place making derived from cultural practices and social relations.
- Kata Sangkhae. The Hybridity of Thai Identities in Contemporary Art.
- Angela Rossitto. The Tool of Tools: The role of the hand in integrating craft and electronic media through materials and processes in contemporary installation art.
Awards and achievements
- Red Gate Gallery residency, Beijing 2006.
- Gunnery Studio residency, Sydney 1999.
- Awarded Third Prize, Dashanzi, Beijing: a tale of two tattoos in Sense of Place, Architecture, Building and Planning Essay Competition, The University of Melbourne 2006.
- Shortlisted Siemans Fine Art Scholarships Exhibition, RMIT Gallery at Storey Hall, Melbourne 2004.
Links to industry
- National Association for the Visual Arts
- Goethe-Institut, Australia (Skypetrait) 2012/2013
- Lend Lease (Integrated Public Art Projects at Victoria Harbour) 2012/2013
- The City of Dandenong (Transformed Noble Park) 2012
- The City of Melbourne (Swanston Street Hoardings Design Project) 2012.
- Personal website
PhD, The University of Melbourne
MFA, RMIT University
B Ed, Melbourne
- McCormick, M. (2016). MelLingen and MelShangLingen In: SkypeLab Reutlingen, Germany
- McCormick, M. (2015). Visuelle Bibliothek In: Visuele Bibliothek Shanghai, China
- McCormick, M.,Eichinger, H. (2013). Skypetrait: Portraits of urbaness In: Skypetrait: Transcontinental Faces, Stat Reutlingen, Reutlingen, Germany
- McCormick, M.,Eichinger, H. (2013). Skypetrait: Transcontinental Faces In: Skypetrait: Transcontinental Faces Australia/Germany Germany
- McCormick, M.,Hogg, G. (2013). Stunning Landscape In: Victoria Harbour Public Mural Project Melbourne, Australia
- McCormick, M. (2013). The transient city: The city as urbaness In: Re-Imagining the City: Art, globalization and urban spaces, Intellect Books, Bristol, United Kingdom
- McCormick, M. (2012). AR (chi) Tecture: art, consciousness, architecture In: Proceedings of the 2011 Interspaces: Art + Architectural Exchanges from East to West Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 20 -22 August, 2010
- McCormick, M. (2012). Urban practice and the public turn In: Asia Pacific Journal of Arts and Cultural Management, 9, 3 - 13
- McCormick, M.,Hogg, G.,Bold, C.,Mix, P. (2012). Melbourne Sound Trace In: Tramway Hoarding Design Project Melbourne, Australia
- McCormick, M.,Hogg, G.,Bold, C.,Mix, P. (2012). The Water, The River, The Town In: Victoria Harbour Public Mural Project Melbourne, Australia
2 PhD Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions