Helen McLean is a Senior Advisor in RMIT's College of Design and Social Context.
I am currently a Senior Advisor Learning and Teaching, in the College of Design and Social Context at RMIT University. In this role, I am responsible for providing leadership and support to learning and teaching projects across a range of disciplines in design and social sciences
I have 14 years of experience in academic development in higher education, with a focus on curriculum development and program quality, where I have project managed numerous school-based program and curriculum development projects. I led the rollout of the College based AQF implementation project and have also managed the conduct of College based learning and teaching quality assurance processes and reviews. I specialise in working closely with academics and facilitating their links to relevant areas of the University for the planning, development and implementation of projects.
I am currently undertaking a PhD that investigates academic and student engagement with assessment practices that support learning in higher education.
Previous duties have included:
Acting Deputy Head, Learning and Teaching in the School of Education with key responsibilities for leadership in program development, program quality and the teacher education program reaccreditation process, working with staff from both sectors with a variety of needs and priorities in learning and teaching.
Team member in the internally funded learning and teaching improvement projects, the Industrial Design Learner Centred Project (LCP) and the multidisciplinary project grant Designing the Futures with responsibilities for investigating practice and project evaluation.
Learning consultant at Thai Nguyen University Library, Vietnam providing professional development in learner-centred practice.
Lecturer for three years of the postgraduate course 'Assessment, Reporting and Evaluation', taught in both blended and online modes, with development and coordination responsibilities.
- Bachelor of Music (University of Melbourne)
- Graduate Diploma in Information Management (University of Melbourne)
- Master of Education (Teaching) (RMIT)
- PhD (in progress RMIT)
- Martin, J.,McLean, H.,McElgunn, D.,Pagliarella, I.,Law, S. (2007). Conflict studies across post secondary education sectors: Best practices in teaching mixed level classes In: International Journal of Learning, 14, 167 - 175
- Varadarajan, S.,McLean, H.,Fennessy, L. (2007). The Learner Centred Project: Negotiating social discourses in design education In: Proceedings of ConnectED 2007 International Conference on Design Education, Sydney,Australia, 9th -12th July 2007
- Varadarajan, S.,McLean, H.,Curlis, S. (2007). Teaching computer aided design: an experiment in teaching and assessment practices In: Proceedings of the ConnectED 2007 International Conference on Design Education, UNSW, Sydney, 9 - 12 July, 2007
- Varadarajan, S.,Fennessy, L.,McLean, H. (2007). Working with Communities: A case study of design for diabetes In: Proceedings of ConnectED 2007 International Conference on Design Education, Sydney,Australia, 9th- 12th July 2007
- Shepherd, J.,McLean, H. (2004). Activate: Social action in landscape architecture design education In: Landscape Review, 9, 210 - 213