Ross McLeod is a senior lecturer in Interior Design and the Research Director of the School of Architecture and Design Furniture Laboratory.
Over the past twenty years Ross has worked as both a designer and as an academic, completing a wide range of one-off and production furniture designs, interior architecture projects, exhibitions designs and sculptural works both locally and internationally.
As a lecturer he has been involved in innovative design studio education and program planning at RMIT, University of Tasmania, Lasalle College Singapore and the University of Fine Arts and Music in Tokyo.
Over the last decade he has synthesised these experiences through a series of books;
Interior Cities - which chronicled the skills, perceptions, concerns and context of emerging Interior Design practice developing within RMIT.
INTERsection - a review of cross-disciplinary postgraduate projects produced within RMIT Interior Design masters program.
The Sensuous Intellect – an account of the Sensoria festival of design education, which invited philosophers, theorists, academics, students and design practitioners to present work of spatial design that interweaves ideas, materials, media and phenomena in ways that engage our senses both imaginatively and viscerally.
Under the banner of the RMIT Furniture Laboratory he has recently curated two exhibitions of contemporary Australian Design, Hybrid Objects and Tyranny of Distance, which were shown in Tokyo Designers Block, Seoul Design Festival and at the Melbourne Museum.
In both his academic and professional practice Ross seeks to employ design as a tool for investigation and research. His current projects explore creative methodologies that traverse the fields of art, science and design and involve detailed research into the physical manipulation of light, sound, materiality and form.
Research Director, Furniture Laboratory
4 Research masters by project candidates
International presentation and promotion, Australia Council of the Arts 2004
International Cultural Exchange, Arts Victoria 2002
Fringe Architecture Award, Melbourne Fringe Festival, 1999
Artist + Industry Design Award, Furniture 93, Melbourne, 1992
Award for Design Excellence, Sydney Furniture Fair, 1986
PhD RMIT (candidate)
M Arch RMIT
ADAD Uni Tas
Research Director, Furniture Laboratory, RMIT, 2005–2008
Program Director, Interior Design, RMIT, 2002–2004
Senior Lecturer, Interior Design, RMIT, 1998–2002
Lecturer, Interior Design, RMIT, 1992–1998
- McLeod, R.,Helsel, S.,Qiu, S.,Chua, J.,Hartono, D. (2015). Design Life Penang In: Design Life Penang Penang, Malaysia
- McLeod, R.,Zhang, A.,Yan, A.,Chen, J.,Zhou, C.,Zhu, C.,Shayne Ward, I.,Song, J.,Zhang, J.,Uldrikis, L.,Liu, R.,Sherlock, R.,Gu, T.,Wang, T.,Jiang, T.,Meng, X.,Li, X.,Li, Y. (2015). Hospital for broken things In: Hangzhou International Design Week Hangzhou/ China
- McLeod, R. (2014). Column In: THISNESS Melbourne, Australia
- McLeod, R.,Helsel, S.,Chyon, G.,Dewanto Ongkoutomo, C.,Taek Soo Tex, K.,Hong, C. (2013). Design Life SEOUL In: Design Life SEOUL Seoul/, South Korea
- Helsel, S.,McLeod, R. (2012). Design Life Bangkok In: Design Life Bangkok Bangkok, Thailand
- McLeod, R.,Lim, M.,Chapman, C. (2012). Animate Activate In: The Project - Saturday in Design Melbourne/Australia
- McLeod, R.,Smith, V.,Robinson, F.,Dall, Y.,Mazounie, B.,Sundjaja, S.,Fong, J. (2012). String Theory In: String Theory Melbourne, Australia
- McLeod, R. (2012). Transience of Light In: Interior Design Excellence Awards Melbourne, Australia
- McLeod, R. (2011). Transient Materiality In: Studies in Material Thinking, 5, 1 - 16
- McLeod, R. (2011). The Transience of Light. Curated by Kate Rhodes In: Look Stop Shop Exhibition, State of Design Festival Melbourne, Australia
1 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions