Dr Mohajerani is a civil engineer, specialising in geotechnical engineering and pavements. He currently teaches geotechnical engineering courses as well as supervising postgraduate studies and final year research projects. Some of the courses he has taught include: soil mechanics, rock mechanics, geotechnical engineering, pavements, building materials, construction, and statics. He has supervised several PhD and Masters students.
In 2005 Dr Mohajerani began to direct some of his research energy into a new area - the problem of cigarette butt (CB) pollution. In early 2006, he carried out some feasibility studies on recycling CBs in fired clay bricks and pavement materials. In that year, he applied for an ARC funding grant for recycling CBs in fired clay bricks. In 2007, he accepted a PhD student for working on recycling CBs in bricks; this study was successfully completed in 2010. In 2011 and 2012, he supervised several Investigation Projects on recycling CBs in different construction materials. Currently this work is continuing in research projects at the civil engineering laboratories in RMIT University.
Current areas of research
- Recycling cigarette butts in construction and road materials
- Resilient behaviour and permanent deformation of road materials
- Recycled materials,
- Asphalt concrete
- Early-age strength measurement of shotcrete
- Consolidation and liquefaction of tailings
- Screw piles
- Lightweight dynamic cone penetrometer
- Foundations and retaining walls
- 2001 - present: Senior Lecturer, School of Civil, Environmental and Chemical Engineering, RMIT University
- 1998 - 2001: Lecturer, School of Civil, Environmental and Chemical Engineering, RMIT University
- 1993 - 1998: Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, La Trobe University
- 1992 - 1993: Lecturer, Department of Civil and Geological Engineering, RMIT
- 1989 - 1991: Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology; Senior Consulting Geotechnical Engineer
- 1986 - 1989: Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, Central Queensland University
Construction engineering of pavements; Geotechnical engineering; Civil engineering
- B.S. in Civil Engineering (five year program), Shiraz University, Iran
- M.S. in Civil Engineering, North Carolina State University
- Ph.D. in Geomechanics, University of Western Australia.
- Course in Slope Stability Analysis, University of California, Davis.
- Courses in Highway Materials, Advanced Soil Mechanics, Foundation Engineering, Earth Structures and Structural Dynamics - Oregon State University.
- Courses in Mine Fill Technology, Rock Mechanics, Rock Slope Stability, Rock Mechanics Measurements - University of New South Wales.
- Member, Engineers Australia
- Member, Australian Geomechanics Society
- Member, Concrete Institute of Australia
- Nguyen, B.,Mohajerani, A. (2016). Possible simplified method for the determination of the resilient modulus of unbound granular materials In: Road Materials and Pavement Design, , 1 - 18
- Zyka, K.,Mohajerani, A. (2016). Composite piles: A review In: Construction and Building Materials, 107, 394 - 410
- Ukwatta Pitiye, A.,Mohajerani, A.,Eshtiaghi, N.,Setunge, S. (2016). Variation in physical and mechanical properties of fired-clay bricks incorporating ETP biosolids In: Journal of Cleaner Production, 119, 76 - 85
- Mohajerani, A.,Kadir, A.,Larobina, L. (2016). A practical proposal for solving the world's cigarette butt problem: Recycling in fired clay bricks In: Waste Management, , 1 - 17
- Munro, M.,Mohajerani, A. (2016). Liquefaction incidents of mineral cargoes on board bulk carriers In: Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, , 1 - 19
- Mohajerani, A.,Bosnjak, D.,Bromwich, D. (2016). Analysis and design methods of screw piles: A review In: Soils and Foundations, 56, 115 - 128
- Nguyen, B.,Mohajerani, A. (2016). Resilient modulus of fine-grained soil and a simple testing and calculation method for determining an average resilient modulus value for pavement design In: Transportation Geotechnics, 7, 59 - 70
- Mohajerani, A.,Nguyen, B.,Glavacevic, L. (2016). Estimation of resilient modulus of unbound granular materials using Clegg impact value and field stress levels In: Transportation Geotechnics, 7, 115 - 129
- Ukwatta Pitiye, A.,Mohajerani, A. (2016). Geotechnical and chemical characteristics of ETP and WTP biosolids In: Australian Geomechanics, 51, 79 - 86
- Munro, M.,Mohajerani, A. (2016). Variation of the geotechnical properties of Iron Ore Fines under cyclic loading In: Ocean Engineering, 126, 411 - 431
- Use of biosolids in enhanced fired clay bricks. Funded by: Melbourne Water Corporation - competitive from (2013 to 2016)
3 PhD Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions