Dr Alan Montague joined Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) University in1997 to manage the Apprenticeship and Traineeship program following a year as a HR consultant and post Graduate Student at RMIT.
Prior to this Alan was a senior manager with a Federal Government Department, with expertise in government employment programs including the Apprenticeship and Traineeship field. Alan possesses extensive experience in employment/education program policy development, implementation and management.
In Alan’s past he worked as a Vocational Counsellor for over six years within a government employment agency as well as prisons, psychiatric hospitals and community centres, drug and alcohol rehabilitation centres, and disadvantaged youth centres. Alan has also managed individual government employment agencies and, has been a Regional Manager and Manager of Planning and Performance for a prominent government department once known as the Department of Employment Education and Training (DEET) which included the now defunct Commonwealth Employment Service. Overall his experience in the employment and training and education sectors extends beyond 30 years.
Alan was the Manager of Apprenticeships and Traineeships and an industry consultant and part time lecturer in education and social policy at post graduate level at RMIT. In 1999 he completed a Masters in Education with research based on the mitigating conditions that prevent the uptake of apprenticeships and traineeships among post secondary school adolescents in Victoria. His research continued and he has completed a doctoral thesis focusing on education policy using the Ministerial Review of Postcompulsory Education Pathways in Victoria: Final Report (Kirby Review) as his major study.
The media are increasingly drawing on Alan’s expertise in relation to post compulsory education including apprenticeships and traineeships and the connection to the ever changing labour market.
Alan has joined the School of Management as an academic in course areas that include Intro to Organisational Behaviour, Human Resource Development, Leadership and Management and Work Integrated Learning.
- Skill Shortages – Professional and Trades
- Education Policies and Impact on Industry and Labour Market
- Global Skill Shortages
- Education Funding as Investment in Terms of Infrastructure and Government Policy
- Workforce Planning and HRM/HRD
- Cadetships – Work Integrated Learning at Higher Education Level and Apprenticeships and Traineeships
- Nankervis, A.,Verma, P.,Montague, A. (2016). 'Scarcity in plenty': Skills shortages and HRM competencies in Vietnam In: Human Development and Capacity Building: Asia Pacific trends, challenges and prospects for the future, Routledge, United States
- Muenjohn, N.,Pimpa, N.,Montague, A. (2016). Developing leadership curriculum for business education program in Asia In: The Journal of Developing Areas, 50, 443 - 154
- Montague, A.,Larkin, R.,Burgess, J. (2016). Where was HRM? The crisis of public confidence in Australia's banks In: Asia Pacific Human Resource Management and Organisational Effectiveness : Impacts on Practice, Elsevier, United States
- Montague, A.,Burgess, J.,Connell, J. (2015). Attracting and retaining Australia's aged care workers: developing policy and organisational responses In: Labour and Industry A journal of the social and economic relations of work, 25, 293 - 305
- Montague, A. (2013). Vocational and skill shortages in Vietnamese manufacturing and service sectors, and some plausible solutions In: Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 51, 208 - 227
- Montague, A. (2013). Review of Australian higher education: an Australian policy perspective In: Policy Futures in Education, 11, 671 - 687
- Muenjohn, N.,Montague, A.,Zhang, J.,Hoare, L. (2013). Developing soft skills of leadership: The case of middle managers in international hotels in Asia In: Proceedings of the Asian Business and Management Conference 2013, Osaka, Japan, 21-24 November 2013
- Montague, A. (2012). Adult learning and the compilation and retrieval of data - a practical system for qualitative researchers In: Qualitative Research Journal (QRJ), 12, 17 - 31
- Jones, S.,Jones, M.,Crist, G.,Engels, B.,Montague, A.,De Silva, S. (2008). Evaluating a multi-disciplinary virtual WIL project In: WACE/ ACEN Asia Pacific Conference 2008 E-Proceedings, Sydney, 30 September - 3 October 2008
- Montague, A.,Bessant, J. (2007). Australian skill shortages: How the Howard government did not change its mind In: Economic and Labour Relations Review, 18, 99 - 114
1 Prof Doc Completions and 2 PhD Completions4 PhD Current Supervisions