Ed Montano is Program Manager of the BA (Music Industry) program.
Ed is a popular music scholar who works across the fields of popular music studies and cultural studies. His research focuses on commercial electronic dance music culture (EDMC) in Australia, while his teaching practice engages with both EDMC and a developing focus on the music industry and sustainability.
His research has been published in journals such as Popular Music, Dancecult, and Journal on the Art of Record Production. Ed is part of the editorial team of Dancecult and is on the executive committee of the International Association for the Study of Popular Music. His creative musical practice involves DJing.
Ed is available to supervise research topics relating to:
- Electronic dance music culture
- Popular music
- Local and global music scenes
- Music industry
- PhD Contemporary Music Studies – Macquarie University
- MA Popular Music Studies – University of Liverpool
- BA Music and English – University of Liverpool
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching and Learning – RMIT University
- Koszolko, M.,Montano, E. (2016). Cloud connectivity and contemporary electronic dance music production In: Kinephanos: Journal of Media Studies and Popular Culture, 6, 60 - 86
- Montano, E. (2015). Translating genres: U2's embrace of electronic dance music in the 1990s In: U2 Above, Across, And Beyond: Interdisciplinary Assessments, Lexington Books, New York, United States
- Montano, E. (2014). The Sydney club scene and the sampling of global electronic dance music culture In: Sampling Media, Oxford University Press, New York, United States
- Montano, E. (2013). Ethnography from the inside: industry-based research in the commercial Sydney EDM scene In: Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance Music Culture, 5, 113 - 130
- Montano, E. (2013). DJ culture and the commercial club scene in sydney In: DJ Culture in the Mix: Power, Technology, and Social Change in Electronic Dance Music, Bloomsbury Academic, New York, United States
- Montano, E. (2011). Festival fever and international DJs: The changing shape of DJ culture in Sydney's commercial electronic dance music scene In: Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance Music Culture, 2, 63 - 89
- Montano, E. (2010). Back to the old skool: Building the dance music canon In: What's It Worth?: 'Value' and Popular Music - Selected Papers from the 2009 IASPM-ANZ Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 27-29 November 2009
- Montano, E. (2010). 'How do you know he's not playing Pac-Man while he's supposed to be DJing?': technology, formats and the digital future of DJ culture In: Popular Music, 29, 397 - 416
- Montano, E. (2009). DJ Culture in the Commercial Sydney Dance Music Scene In: Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance Music Culture, 1, 81 - 93
- Montano, E. (2009). The Sydney dance music scene and the global diffusion of contemporary club culture In: Trans/Forming Cultures: eJournal , 4, 43 - 59
1 PhD Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions