Ed Montano is a lecturer and tutor in the Bachelor of Arts Music Industry program at RMIT.
Ed’s current research explores the contemporary electronic dance music scenes of Sydney and Melbourne, with a focus on clubs, DJs and the music industry. This research is grounded in ethnography, and more broadly engages with issues around popular music, commercialisation, the music media, and new media forms and their use by the music industry and music audiences.
Ed is currently on the executive committee of the Australia-New Zealand branch of the International Association for the Study of Popular Music, as Web Coordinator and is Music Area Chair and Web Coordinator for the Popular Culture Association of Australia and New Zealand. He is also on the editorial board of The Australasian Journal of Popular Culture, and a production assistant for Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance Music Culture.
Ed is a secondary supervisor in the following areas:
Electronic dance music
Local and global music scenes
- Montano, E. (2015). Translating genres: U2's embrace of electronic dance music in the 1990s In: U2 Above, Across, And Beyond: Interdisciplinary Assessments, Lexington Books, New York, United States
- Montano, E. (2014). The Sydney club scene and the sampling of global electronic dance music culture In: Sampling Media, Oxford University Press, New York, United States
- Montano, E. (2013). Ethnography from the inside: industry-based research in the commercial Sydney EDM scene In: Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance Music Culture, 5, 113 - 130
- Montano, E. (2013). DJ culture and the commercial club scene in sydney In: DJ Culture in the Mix: Power, Technology, and Social Change in Electronic Dance Music, Bloomsbury Academic, New York, United States
- Montano, E. (2011). Festival fever and international DJs: The changing shape of DJ culture in Sydney's commercial electronic dance music scene In: Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance Music Culture, 2, 63 - 89
- Montano, E. (2010). Back to the old skool: Building the dance music canon In: What's It Worth?: 'Value' and Popular Music - Selected Papers from the 2009 IASPM-ANZ Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 27-29 November 2009
- Montano, E. (2010). 'How do you know he's not playing Pac-Man while he's supposed to be DJing?': technology, formats and the digital future of DJ culture In: Popular Music, 29, 397 - 416
- Montano, E. (2009). 'Being kept in the 'back' doesn't mean that we're sort of the poor cousin': Dance music and club culture in Sydney In: Stuck in the Middle: The Mainstream and Its Discontents - Selected Proceedings of the 2008 IASPM-ANZ Conference, Brisbane, Australia, 28-30 November 2008
- Montano, E. (2009). DJ Culture in the Commercial Sydney Dance Music Scene In: Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance Music Culture, 1, 81 - 93
- Montano, E. (2009). The Sydney dance music scene and the global diffusion of contemporary club culture In: Trans/Forming Cultures: eJournal , 4, 43 - 59
1 PhD Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions