Brian Morris is Program Manager, Bachelor of Communication (Media) at RMIT.
Brian teaches in the Bachelor of Communication (Media):
Media Industries 1
Writing Media Texts.
Brian Morris’ research interests currently focus on:
the cultural and economic work performed by media and communication technologies in the formation and maintenance of city identities
media and cultural studies pedagogy
See Screen Cultures for further information on his current projects.
Major grants and awards
2009–2012 Chief Investigator on ARC Linkage Project, ’Geoplaced Knowledge: Developing a Methodology for Provisioning Stakeholders in Natural Environments Management with Integrated Media Tools’ (Partner Organisation – Parks Victoria).
2009–2010 Victorian State Library Honorary Creative Fellowship
Current senior supervisions
Ashley Perry, PhD by project, ’Visual Car-tographies’ (under examination)
Peter Kemp, PhD by thesis, ’The Julie Andrews film musical’
Current associate supervisions
Federico Passi, PhD by thesis, ’Melbourne on Film’
Sian Prior, PhD by project, ’The Shyness Lists’
Rachel Wilson, PhD by project, ’Film, education and the archive’
Research degree completions (as Senior Supervisor)
Linda Fu, PhD (by Thesis), 2012, ’The Use and Usefulness of the Racial Other: Rhetoric and Strategy in Deployments of the Racial Other in Print Advertising and Branding Campaigns in a Global Context’. (Senior super. from 2005) Passed with specific amendments.
Rosya Izyanie Shamshudeen, PhD (by Thesis), 2012, ’Understanding the Malaysian Localisation of Global Format TV’. (Second then Senior Super. from 2010) Passed with specific amendments.
Jenny Weight, PhD (by Project), 2007, ’The Technosocial Mediascape: Producing Identities’ (Senior super. from 2005).
Laurene Vaughan, PhD (by Project), 2004, ’Anfractuous: an exploration of creative practice’ , School of Applied Communication, RMIT, (Second then Senior Super. at completion, 2003–2004).
Research degree completions (as Second Supervisor)
Md Azalanshah Md Syed, PhD (by Thesis), ’Engaging with Modernity: Malay Women, Non-Western Soap Operas and Watching Competencies’ (2011).
Poungchompoo Bumrungsook, MA (by Thesis), ’Television and Drug Abuse: A Cultural Studies Approach to Health Communication’ (2009).
Anthony Jaques, PhD (by Publication), ’Issue and Crisis Management: Bridging academic and practitioner perspectives’ (2008).
David Hawkins, MA (by Thesis), ’Quantifying relationships between an organisation and its publics“ (2008).
PhD, Cultural Studies Program, University of Melbourne
MA, American Studies, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Shamshudeen, R.,Morris, B. (2014). `No hugging please, we are Muslims' Akademi Fantasia, Malay television audiences and the negotiation of global popular cultural forms In: Asian Journal of Communication, 24, 142 - 157
- Verhoeven, D.,Morris, B. (2012). 'Second city syndrome': Media reportage of urban rankings In: Proceedings of the ECREA Evaluation in the Media Conference [CD Rom], Paris, France, 15-16 March 2012
- Morris, B. (2011). The City In: The Encyclopedia of Literary and Cultural Theory : Cultural Theory Volume III, John Wiley and Sons, United Kingdom
- Morris, B. (2010). Un/wrapping Shibuya: Place, media and punctualization In: Space & Culture, 13, 285 - 303
- Verhoeven, D.,Morris, B. (2009). She would say that, he's From Melbourne: Fun and games with Dame Edna and Barry Humphries In: JAS: Journal of Australian Studies, 33, 317 - 331
- Arrowsmith, C.,Cartwright, W.,Dunbar, M.,Elsley, M.,McCarthy, G.,Malmo, C.,Miles, A.,Morris, B.,Vaughan, L.,Whelan, J.,Yuille, J. (2009). burnmap In: 2009 Design Challenge: Design Research Melbourne Australia
- Cartwright, W.,Miles, A.,Morris, B.,Vaughan, L.,Yuille, J. (2008). Developing concepts for an affective atlas In: Geospatial Vision: New Dimensions in Cartography, Springer, Heidelberg, Germany
- Cartwright, W.,Arrowsmith, C.,Miles, A.,Morris, B.,Vaughan, L.,Yuille, J. (2008). Geo-placed knowledge: developing a methodology for provisioning stakeholders in natural environments management with integrated media tools In: Queensland Spatial Conference 2008. Global Warning: What's Happening in Paradise? Conference Proceedings, Surfers Paradise, Qld, 17-19 July 2008
- Morris, B.,Solomon, E.,Dimmer, C. (2006). 4 hours: Orchestrations of timespace In: mAAN (modern Asian Architecture Network): The 6th International Conference Proceedings, Tokyo, Japan, 1-5 November 2006
- Morris, B. (2006). Un/wrapping Shibuya: The changing texture of place In: Asia Reconstructed: Proceedings of the 16th Biennial Conference of the ASAA, 2006, Wollongong,
- Geo-placed Knowledge: developing a methodology for provisioning stakeholders in natural environments management with integrated media tools. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2008 Round 2 from (2009 to 2012)
- 'The Passionate City'/'Melbourne: 'Second to None'. Funded by: Ian Potter Foundation Grant pre-2014 from (2004 to 2004)
- The Substitute City? Media Flows and the Politics of Place in (non-Hollywood) Pacific Rim Cinema Production.. Funded by: ATN (Australian Technology Network) RSE (Research Staff Exchange) from (2003 to 2003)
1 PhD (pub) Completions and 7 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions