Professor Adrian Mouritz is the Executive Dean of the School of Engineering. He undertakes research into fibre reinforced polymer composites and other light-weight structural materials.
Adrian performs research into fibre reinforced polymer composites and other engineering materials used in aircraft. Professor Mouritz has performed research which has led to significant discoveries on various topics associated with composite materials, including their mechanical, fracture and fatigue properties; impact and explosive blast properties; fire structural properties; non-destructive inspection and smart health monitoring; and damage tolerance using through-thickness reinforcement (orthogonal weaving, stitching, pinning).
He has published nearly 200 research articles on composites; which include 3 books, 3 edited books, 15 book chapters, and over 120 journal papers.
Professor Mouritz has received over $5 million in research funds over the past 10 years from various sources, including the Australian Research Council, United States Office of Naval Research and the Composites CRC.
Adrian teaches into the following courses: AERO2289: Design and Manufacture of Composites, AERO2364: Contemporary Issues in Aerospace Engineering and AERO2456: Aviation Sustainability and the Environment.
- BappSc (RMIT)
- MEng (RMIT)
- MSc (Melbourne)
- PhD (Cambridge)
- ScD (Cambrdge)
- Fellow of Engineers Australia
Accomplishments and achievements
Professor Mouritz has received numerous awards and recognition for his research into composite materials. The Professor was co-awarded the Prize for Composites by the Institution of Materials, Minerals and Mining (United Kingdom) in 2004 and again in 2008. The prize is awarded for excellence in published research in the field of composite materials, and is one of the most prestigious awards for composites-related research.
He was invited to the position of Visiting Professor in Composite Materials Engineering at The University of Newcastle (England) in 2007, and will hold the position until at least 2013.
- Pingkarawat, K.,Mouritz, A. (2016). Comparative study of metal and composite z-pins for delamination fracture and fatigue strengthening of composites In: Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 154, 180 - 190
- Christke, S.,Gibson, A.,Grigoriou, K.,Mouritz, A. (2016). Multi-layer polymer metal laminates for the fire protection of lightweight structures In: Materials and Design, 97, 349 - 356
- Ladani, R.,Wu, S.,Kinloch, A.,Ghorbani, K.,Zhang, J.,Mouritz, A.,Wang, C. (2016). Multifunctional properties of epoxy nanocomposites reinforced by aligned nanoscale carbon In: Materials and Design, 94, 554 - 564
- Cholewa, N.,Summers, P.,Feih, S.,Mouritz, A.,Lattimer, B.,Case, S. (2016). A technique for coupled thermomechanical response measurement using infrared thermography and digital image correlation (TDIC) In: Experimental Mechanics, 56, 145 - 164
- Pingkarawat, K.,Dell'Olio, C.,Varley, R.,Mouritz, A. (2016). Poly(ethylene-co-methacrylic acid) (EMAA) as an efficient healing agent for high performance epoxy networks using diglycidyl ether of bisphenol A (DGEBA) In: Polymer (United Kingdom), 92, 153 - 163
- Stegschuster, G.,Pingkarawat, K.,Wendland, B.,Mouritz, A. (2016). Experimental determination of the mode i delamination fracture and fatigue properties of thin 3D woven composites In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 84, 308 - 315
- Nguyen, L.,Lassig, T.,Ryan, S.,Riedel, W.,Mouritz, A.,Orifici, A. (2016). A methodology for hydrocode analysis of ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene composite under ballistic impact In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 84, 224 - 235
- Bornstein, H.,Ryan, S.,Mouritz, A. (2016). Physical mechanisms for near-field blast mitigation with fluid containers: Effect of container geometry In: International Journal of Impact Engineering, 96, 61 - 77
- Anjang Ab Rahman, A.,Chevali, V.,Feih, S.,Mouritz, A. (2016). Deterioration of the fire structural resistance of sandwich composite under tension due to water absorption In: Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 87, 263 - 270
- Afaghi Khatibi, A.,Chevali, V.,Feih, S.,Mouritz, A. (2016). Probability analysis of the fire structural resistance of aluminium plate In: Fire Safety Journal, 83, 15 - 24
- Automated Fibre Braiding Facility for Multifunctional Structural Materials . Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) 2016 from (2016 to 2016)
- National Rock, Concrete and Advanced Composite Testing Capability - Administered by The University of Queensland. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) 2016 from (2016 to 2016)
- Multifunctional Three-Dimensional Non-Crimp Fibre Preforms for Polymer Composites: Innovative High-Value Products for the Australian Textiles Industry. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2014 Round 1 from (2015 to 2018)
- NICOP Effect of Seawater Absorption on the Explosive Blast Resistance of Naval Composites. Funded by: United States Office of Naval Research Project Grants pre-2014 from (2015 to 2019)
- Non Destructive Testing of Carbon Fiber Composite Materials. Funded by: Ford Motor Company Grant 2015 from (2015 to 2016)
10 PhD Current Supervisions18 PhD Completions and 5 Masters by Research Completions