Dr Michael Muchiri is currently a Senior Lecturer in the School of Management. He joined RMIT from Central Queensland University, Australia. Michael's work on leadership has been published in the Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Leadership & Organization Development Journal, International Journal of Organisational Behaviour, and as book chapters by the American Psychological Association (2013) and Edward Elgar (2014). Michael's ongoing research projects (in Australia, Indonesia and Kenya) focus on four forms of positive leadership styles and behaviours (authentic, ethical, servant and transformational), and how these relate to individual, team and organisational outcomes.
Michael's research on leadership has been presented at the Academy of Management-US, the British Academy of Management, ANZAM, and Australian Psychological Society Conferences. A paper co-authored by Michael on Thriving will be published in the Best Paper Proceedings of the 2016 Academy of Management Meeting, August 5-9 in Anaheim, California.
Michael is frequently invited as an Expert Reviewer / Evaluator for South Africa's National Research Foundation (NRF), and also reviews for Excellence Research Australia in the Field of Research 1503. Michael is on the Editorial Advisory Board for Leadership & Organization Development Journal, and is an ‘ad hoc Reviewer’ for the Academy of Management meetings, Leadership Quarterly, Journal of Management Studies, Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, Personnel Review, Human Resource Management,and International Human Resource Management. In 2013 and 2014, Michael received Top Reviewer Award from the Academy of Management Meeting (US).
- Leadership Processes (transformational, ethical and authentic behaviours)
- Workplace safety
- Human resource management processes
- Organisational behaviour (thriving, citizenship behaviours, performance)
- PhD in Management (University of New England, Australia),
- MSc in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (Gadjah Mada University, Indonesia)
- B Ed (Kenyatta University, Kenya)
Dr Michael Muchiri has previously worked as a Human Resource Development Advisor (for the Government of Kenya, and for the World Bank), and has consulted for Queensland's Department of Local Government, Planning, Sport and Recreation, and Victoria's City of Melbourne Council.
- Editorial Advisory Board of Leadership & Organization Development Journal.
- Ad hoc reviewer for: Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory; Personnel Review; and, The Leadership Quarterly
- Member, American Psychological Association
- Member, Academy of Management (US)
- Member, Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management
- 2014 Top Reviewer Award, Public and Not-for-profit (PNP) Division of Academy of Management Annual meeting.
- 2013 Top Reviewer Award, Public and Not-for-profit (PNP) Division of Academy of Management Annual meeting.
- 2013 Best Reviewer, Leadership and Governance Stream of the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management (ANZAM) Conference.
- Lu, J.,Huang, X.,Muchiri, M. (2017). Political risk and Chinese outward foreign direct investment: The role of foreign aid In: Africa Journal of Management, 3, 82 - 98
- Muchiri, M.,McMurray, A. (2015). Entrepreneurial orientation within small firms: a critical review of why leadership and contextual factors matter In: Small enterprises research: the journal of SEAANZ, , 1 - 15
- Ahmed, E.,Muchiri, M. (2014). Linking Abusive Supervision to Employees' OCBs and Turnover Intentions: The role of a Psychological Contract Breach and Perceived Organisational Support In: Contemporary Management Research, 10, 147 - 164
- Ahmed, E.,Muchiri, M. (2014). Effects of psychological contract breach, ethical leadership and supervisors' fairness on employees' performance and wellbeing In: World Journal of Management, 5, 1 - 13
- Muchiri, M. (2014). Linking leadership and authentic followership to organizational outcomes in Kenya: A conceptual model In: Journal of Global Business Issues, 8, 17 - 26
- Ayoko, O.,Muchiri, M. (2014). Conflict at multiple levels: transformational leadership and followers' cultural orientation In: Handbook of Conflict Management Research, Edward Elgar Publishing, United Kingdom
- Walumbwa, F.,Christensen, A.,Muchiri, M. (2013). Transformational leadership and meaningful work In: Purpose and Meaning in the Workplace, American Psychological Association, Washington, United States
- Muchiri, M.,Ayoko, O. (2013). Linking demographic diversity to organisational outcomes: The moderating role of transformational leadership In: Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 34, 384 - 406
- Muchiri, M. (2013). Entrepreneurial orientation and leadership: A review, model and research agenda In: Proceedings of the 26th Annual Small Enterprise Association of Australia and New Zealand Conference (SEAANZ 2013), Sydney, Australia, 11-12 July 2013
- Muchiri, M.,Cooksey, R.,Walumbwa, F. (2012). Transformational and social processes of leadership as predictors of organisational outcomes In: Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 33, 662 - 683
- Empowering African Australian Women through Leadership Development. Funded by: City of Melbourne - Contract from (2016 to 2017)
- Empowering African Australian Women to Develop Values, Vision, Mission, Strategy, Goals and Objectives. Funded by: City Of Melbourne - Competitive from (2016 to 2016)
- Finding Common Ground: Exploring Inter-group Dynamics to Enhance Empowerment for African Australian Women. Funded by: City of Melbourne - Contract from (2016 to 2017)
1 PhD Completions3 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions