- Ecotoxicology and environmental biology with a focus on aquatic ecotoxicology, pesticides, trace metals, Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals (EDCs), cyanobacterial toxins and their effects on fish and invertebrates
- Biomonitoring of environmental contamination using fish and invertebrates in water and earthworms in soil
- Development of toxicity tests using Australian species
- Enzymes and hormones as biomarkers of environmental exposure to xenobiotics
- Effect of dryland salinity on freshwater ecosystems
- Bioremediation of metal contaminated and salinised sites
- Minimising nutrient pollution from aquaculture and evaluating water quality with a focus on reclaimed and recycled water
Scholarships, awards and fellowships
- 2008/09: Visiting Fellowship, Flinders Research Centre for Coastal & Catchment Environments (FR3cE), Flinders University
- 2003: RMIT Faculty of Life Sciences: Research Supervision Award.
- 1999 - 2003: 5 Visiting Research Fellowships (2-4 months each) from the GSF National Research Centre for Environment and Health, Munich Germany to collaborate on the research project “Biomarkers of pollution in fish from contaminated sites in the Yangtze River region, China“ with the Institute of Ecological Chemistry.
- 1985/86: Drapers Company/Queen Mary College Award for Postgraduate Study, University of London.
- 1982 – 1985: Open Commonwealth Scholarship awarded by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission of the U.K.
- 1982: Fulbright-Hayes Graduate Student Award for study in the U.S.
- 1977: Scholarship for the Best Results in the First Examination in Natural Sciences, University of Colombo
ecotoxicology; environment; pollution; toxicity; toxic chemicals; biota; water; Environmental Impact Assessment; pesticides; trace metals; coal seam gas; coal; oil, hydrocarbons; chemicals; aquatic; marine; freshwater; algal blooms; cyanobacteria; endocrine disruption; EDCs; toxicants; sustainability; ecosystem; fish; invertebrates; yabbies; hydra;
Professor Nugegoda’s teaching commitments include undergraduate and Masters courses in Ecotoxicology, and Aquatic Resources Management. She is the course coordinator for Ecotoxicology and Animal Structure and Function and teaches into Animal Diversity, Marine Biology, Ecology and other related courses in Environmental Biology. She is also coordinator of the Environmental stream in the Master of Biotechnology degree.
- RMIT Animal Ethics Committee (since 2007)
- RMIT representative on the Council of the Queenscliff Marine Consortium (since 2002)
- Member of the RMIT (Vietnam-Australia) 5-member Water Research Team led by the Pro Vice-Chancellor Research and Innovation to conduct Water Environment Workshops in Hanoi, Hue and Ho Chi Min City in 2002
- Current collaborative research team member since 2005
- Representative on the University International Student Staff Advisory Network (since 2000)
- Member of the International Student Working Party convened and led by the Chair of the Research and Graduate Studies Committee (2001-2002)
- Departmental Representative on the Faculty of Life Sciences Higher Degrees Committee (2001 - 2004)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours, first class), University of Colombo (Sri Lanka), 1980
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of London, Kings College and Queen Mary College (United Kingdom), 1986
- On the Global Bioaccumulation Advisory Group, Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) appointed to the Steering Committee 2008.
- Elected to the Pesticide Policy Advisory Group for the Forest Stewardship Council of Australia 2008-2009
- International Reviewer Research Grants Council of Hongkong and International assessor National Research Council of South Africa (since 2006)
- Appointed to the expert advisory panel on ecotoxicology for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Parks Authority 2005.
- Member of the Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science
- Member of the Asian Fisheries Society
- Member of the Australasian Society for Ecotoxicology. Elected Representative for the State of Victoria 2000 – 2006 and Vice President 2007-2009
- Scientific Member of the Society for Ecotoxicology and Chemistry (SETAC), USA (since 1995)
- Member of the Australian Society of Limnology
- RMIT representative on the Council of the Victorian Marine Sciences Consortium
Professor Nugegoda is deeply committed to international issues, being an alumnus of the University of Colombo, Sri Lanka and the University of London, U.K. and having work experience in Sri Lanka, the UK, Germany, China, Singapore and Vietnam.
- Huang, Y.,Persoone, G.,Nugegoda, D.,Wlodkowic, D. (2016). Enabling sub-lethal behavioral ecotoxicity biotests using microfluidic Lab-on-a-Chip technology In: Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 226, 289 - 298
- Wardrop, P.,Shimeta, J.,Nugegoda, D.,Morrison, P.,Miranda, A.,Tang, M.,Clarke, B. (2016). Chemical pollutants sorbed to ingested microbeads from personal care products accumulate in fish In: Environmental Science and Technology, 50, 4037 - 4044
- Shimeta, J.,Saint, L.,Verspaandonk, E.,Nugegoda, D.,Howe, S. (2016). Long-term ecological consequences of herbicide treatment to control the invasive grass, Spartina anglica, in an Australian saltmarsh In: Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 176, 58 - 66
- Kleinhenz, L.,Nugegoda, D.,Verspaandonk, E.,Coombes, D.,Howe, S.,Shimeta, J. (2016). Toxicity of an herbicide and adjuvant to saltmarsh invertebrates in the management of invasive grass; Comparative laboratory and field tests In: Marine Pollution Bulletin, 109, 334 - 343
- Prouse, A.,Hogan, A.,Harford, A.,van Dam, R.,Nugegoda, D. (2015). Hydra viridissima rapidly recovers from multiple magnesium pulse exposures In: Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 34, 1734 - 1743
- Khudur, L.,Shahsavari, E.,Miranda, A.,Morrison, P.,Nugegoda, D.,Ball, A. (2015). Evaluating the efficacy of bioremediating a diesel-contaminated soil using ecotoxicological and bacterial community indices In: Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 22, 14809 - 14819
- Finger, A.,Lavers, J.,Dann, P.,Nugegoda, D.,Orbell, J.,Robertson, B.,SCARPACI, C. (2015). The Little Penguin (Eudyptula minor) as an indicator of coastal trace metal pollution In: Environmental Pollution, 205, 365 - 377
- Cartlidge, R.,Nugegoda, D.,Wlodkowic, D. (2015). GammarusChip: Innovative lab-on-a-chip technology for ecotoxicological testing using the marine amphipod Allorchestes compressa In: Proceedings SPIE Vol. 9518 (Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging), Barcelona, Spain, 5-6 May, 2015
- Zhu, F.,Wigh, A.,Friedrich, T.,Devaux, A.,Bony, S.,Nugegoda, D.,Kaslin, J.,Wlodkowic, D. (2015). Automated lab-on-a-chip technology for fish embryo toxicity tests performed under continuous microperfusion (µFET) In: Environmental Science and Technology, 49, 14570 - 14578
- Zhu, F.,Friedrich, T.,Nugegoda, D.,Kaslin, J.,Wlodkowic, D. (2015). Assessment of the biocompatibility of three-dimensional-printed polymers using multispecies toxicity tests In: Biomicrofluidics, 9, 1 - 5
- Experiment-Based Evaluation of Management Practices for Control of the Invasive Saltmarsh Grass, Spartina anglica.. Funded by: Parks Victoria Competitive Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2015)
- Experiment based evaluation of management practices for the control of Spartina. Funded by: West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority Contract from (2014 to 2015)
- Investigating the sources and mechanisms of Cd accumulation to a freshwater prawn species. Funded by: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE) Research Grant pre-2014 from (2011 to 2012)
- Investigation of endocrine disruption in Australian aquatic environments. Administered by Griffith University.. Funded by: ARC Linkage Projects via other University pre-2014 from (2010 to 2013)
- Toxic metals in the feathers of Phillip Island Penguins: A novel and non-invasive risk assessment. Funded by: Penguin Foundation Phillip Island from (2010 to 2011)
13 PhD Completions and 4 Masters by Research Completions9 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions