Dr Paz-Ferreiro's research is broadly concerned with waste management and its recycling into the soil system. Recently his research is concerned with biochar, a pyrolysis product, which can provide environmental benefits including carbon sequestration, improving soil quality and the remediation of polluted areas.
He is interested in organic and inorganic pollutants and their effect on soil biological activity.
He has delivered high-profile research outputs since 2007 and has authored or co-authored over 40 peer reviewed publications, with over 400 citations.
A patent was issued to him in 2012 covering a method of 'agglomerating carbonaceous materials, involving mixing carbonaceous material with sunflower oil' (Patent ES-2 372 951).
A publication listing is available on Google Scholar.
- B.Sc. in Chemistry (Environmental) (Honours)
- M.Sc. in Environmental Science and Natural Resources
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science and Natural Resources
- Editorial Board Member, Soil and Tillage Research
- Member of the Soil Science Society of America
- Member of the Spanish Society of Soil Science
- Member of the European Geosciences Union
- Mendez, A.,Cardenas-Aguiar, E.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Plaza, C.,Gasco, G. (2017). The effect of sewage sludge biochar on peat-based growing media In: Biological Agriculture and Horticulture, 33, 40 - 51
- Bertol, I.,Schick, J.,Bandeira, D.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Vidal-Vazquez, E. (2017). Multifractal and joint multifractal analysis of water and soil losses from erosion plots: A case study under subtropical conditions in Santa Catarina highlands, Brazil In: Geoderma, 287, 116 - 125
- Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Plasencia, P.,Gasco, G.,Mendez, A. (2017). Biochar from pyrolysis of deinking paper sludge and its use in the remediation of Zn-polluted soils In: Land Degradation and Development, 28, 355 - 360
- Laidlaw, M.,Filippelli, G.,Brown, S.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Reichman, S.,Netherway, P.,Truskewycz, A.,Ball, A.,Mielke, H. (2017). (In Press) Case studies and evidence-based approaches to addressing urban soil lead contamination In: Applied Geochemistry, , 1 - 17
- Gasco, G.,Cely, P.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Plaza, C.,Mendez, A. (2016). Relation between biochar properties and effects on seed germination and plant development In: Biological Agriculture and Horticulture, 32, 237 - 247
- Liang, C.,Gasco, G.,Fu, S.,Mendez, A.,Paz-Ferreiro, J. (2016). Biochar from pruning residues as a soil amendment: Effects of pyrolysis temperature and particle size In: Soil and Tillage Research, 164, 3 - 10
- Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Mendez, A.,Gasco, G. (2016). Application of biochar for soil biological improvement In: Agricultural and Environmental Applications of Biochar: Advances and Barriers, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wisconsin
- Puga, A.,Melo, L.,De Abreu, C.,Coscione, A.,Paz-Ferreiro, J. (2016). Leaching and fractionation of heavy metals in mining soils amended with biochar In: Soil and Tillage Research, 164, 25 - 33
- Gasco, G.,Paz-Ferreiro, J.,Cely, P.,Plaza, C.,Mendez, A. (2016). Influence of pig manure and its biochar on soil CO2 emissions and soil enzymes In: Ecological Engineering, 95, 19 - 24
- Paz-Ferreiro, J.,de Almeida, V.,Alves, M.,De Abreu, C.,Vieira, S.,Vidal-Vazquez, E. (2016). Spatial variability of soil organic matter and cation exchange capacity in an Oxisol under different land uses In: Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 47, 75 - 89
- Landscape modelling, remote sensing, nutrient management, tools for precision agriculture and grape quality: Grant number 255899413. Funded by: Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering Priming Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- Converting solid waste from abbatoirs into Hydrochar. Funded by: Australian Meat Processor Corporation Grant 2015 from (2015 to 2016)
3 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions