Daniel (Daniele) is seconded at the Australian Synchrotron and works on image guidance for micro-beam radiotherapy. Other research interests include: X-ray phase contrast microscopy and micro-CT, X-ray scattering, physical and statistical optics.
Daniel is an optical physicist specialized in x-ray optics and imaging. He is well experienced using many x-ray analytical techniques, microscopy and micro-CT, as well as synchrotron physics.
Daniel obtained his PhD in Physics from the “Sapienza” University of Rome (Italy) in 2008. He has been synchrotron beamline scientist at the ANKA light source (Karlsruhe, Germany) in the period 2008-2009.
Daniel moved to Australia in late 2009 working as Research Fellow in the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coherent X-ray Science (CXS) at Monash University. In 2012 he was awarded an ARC Discovery Early Career Research Award (DECRA) for the development of x-ray microscopy techniques on compact x-ray sources.
Currently Daniel works on the development of a synchrotron-based image guidance system for micro-beam radiotherapy, to be installed at the Australian Synchrotron.
For more details about Daniel’s research and publications please visit his:
Daniel is an experimental physicist (most of the time) active in several areas of x-ray physics, imaging and optics. He enjoys working with compact x-ray sources as well as at synchrotrons. Daniel is currently seconded at the Australian Synchrotron, but collaborates actively with teams at Elettra (Italy), APS (USA), ESRF (France) and PETRA III (Germany).
Daniel has research projects available in many topics and with different degrees of complexity. Feel free to contact him if you want to know more. Topics include:
- X-ray imaging techniques
- Scanning and full-field x-ray phase contrast microscopy;
- Phase contrast imaging with laboratory sources
- X-ray waveguide optics
- Phase contrast tomography with grating interferometry.
- X-ray scattering and diffraction imaging
- Ultra-small angle x-ray scattering of nanoparticles
- Coherent diffraction imaging of nano-objects
- Statistical optics
- Partial coherence for hard x-rays
- Coherence vortices
- Phase retrieval
- Neutron imaging and tomography
- Neutron waveguide optics
- Neutron phase contrast tomography
- 2003: MSc (Physics), “Sapienza” University of Rome (Italy).
- 2008: PhD (Physics), “Sapienza” University of Rome (Italy).
- Pelliccia, D.,Poole, C.,Livingstone, J.,Stevenson, A.,Smyth, L.,Rogers, P.,Haüsermann, D.,Crosbie, J. (2016). Image guidance protocol for synchrotron microbeam radiation therapy In: Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, 23, 566 - 573
- Pelliccia, D.,Crosbie, J.,Larkin, K. (2016). Phase contrast image guidance for synchrotron microbeam radiotherapy In: Physics in Medicine and Biology, 61, 5942 - 5955
- Pelliccia, D.,Rack, A.,Scheel, M.,Cantelli, V.,Paganin, D. (2016). Experimental X-Ray Ghost Imaging In: Physical Review Letters, 117, 1 - 5
- Roberts, M.,Pelliccia, D. (2015). Laboratory-based quantitative hard x-ray phase microscopy in one dimension using waveguides In: Optics Communications, 334, 141 - 146
- Bukreeva, I.,Pelliccia, D.,Cedola, A.,Sorrentino, A.,Scarinci, F.,Ilie, M.,Fratini, M.,Asadchikov, V.,Nosik, V.,Lagomarsino, S. (2015). Theoretical analysis and experimental applications of x-ray waveguides In: Short Wavelength Laboratory Sources : Principles and Practices, The Royal Society of Chemistry, United Kingdom
- Vagovic, P.,Korytar, D.,Cecilia, A.,Hamann, E.,Baumbach, T.,Pelliccia, D. (2015). Laboratory-based multi-modal X-ray microscopy and micro-CT with Bragg magnifiers In: Optics Express, 23, 1 - 10
- Fella, C.,Balles, A.,Zabler, S.,Hanke, R.,Tjeung, R.,Nguyen, S.,Pelliccia, D. (2015). Laboratory x-ray microscopy on high brilliance sources equipped with waveguides In: Journal of Applied Physics, 118, 1 - 8
- Pelliccia, D.,Paganin, D.,Garbe, U. (2015). Physical unsharp mask with structured detection In: Optics Letters, 40, 3611 - 3614
- Fratini, M.,Campi, G.,Bukreeva, I.,Pelliccia, D.,Burghammer, M.,Tromba, G.,Cancedda, R.,Mastrogiacomo, M.,Cedola, A. (2015). X-ray micro-beam techniques and phase contrast tomography applied to biomaterials In: Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, 364, 93 - 97
- Bukreeva, I.,Fratini, M.,Campi, G.,Pelliccia, D.,Spanò, R.,Tromba, G.,Brun, F.,Burghammer, M.,Grilli, M.,Cancedda, R.,Cedola, A.,Mastrogiacomo, M. (2015). High resolution x-ray techniques as new tool to investigate the 3D vascularization of engineered-bone tissue In: Frontiers in bioengineering and biotechnology, 3, 1 - 9
1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions