Phred is a Senior Lecturer in the Bachelor of Arts Photography program at RMIT.
Fred specialises in applications of photography for scientific and industrial research. He teaches a broad range of specialised photography topics in the second and third years of the curriculum, including photomacrography, photomicroscopy, infrared/ultraviolet photography, high-speed imaging, schlieren and shadowgraph methods, slit and streak photography and methods for flow visualization. He also teaches studio and location photography in the first year of the program.
Selection Officer, BA Photography, 2011–2012
RMIT University School of Media and Communication Research and Innovation Committee, 2011
RMIT University Academic Board, 2010
'Blast Wave'. First Place, 2008 Australian Museum Eureka Prize for Science Photography.
'Bottle top Gas Dynamics'. Chosen as one of the top 10 Highly Commended entries, 2010 Australian Museum Eureka Prize for Science Photography; included in the online exhibition.
'Snuffed Candle'. Chosen as one of the top 25 entries, 2007 Australian Museum Eureka Prize for Science Photography; included in the 2007 traveling exhibition.
Science, Engineering and Technology Portfolio 2006 Teaching Awards. Certificate of Commendation for Student Centred Teaching, 2006.
Phred’s research interests are in the application of photography as a tool to understand the physical world around us, with a specific interest in schlieren and shadowgraph methods, high speed photography of transient events and flow visualisation. He has ongoing collaborations with researchers in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering.
BSc (Chemistry), University of North Dakota, USA (1976)
BA Industrial/Scientific Photography, Brooks Institute, USA (1985)
MEd (Teaching), RMIT University (2003)
Following visits to RMIT as a Guest Lecturer in 1990 and 1996, Phred joined RMIT fulltime in 1998 as a Lecturer in Scientific Photography. He was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2002. Some of his industry and professional activities include:
'Cover versus concealment.' DSTO small arms trials, Phase 1 and 2. Port Wakefield, SA. Carmine Caputo, Task Manager, 2006, 2007.
High-speed camera supervisor, 'Kill Your Television' short film directed by Andrew Mitchell, Produced by Hugh Jenkins, 2008.
Camera operator/technician, Firing Line Multi-Camera Array (60 still cameras), Mark Ruff Photography:
Channel Seven Sports Intro Special Effects, Melbourne, 2002
Short Film, 'Chop Chop. The Smoko Diaries', Melbourne, 2000
Special Effects /Television Commercial, Hang Zhou, China, 2000
Photography Supervisor, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (USA), 1988–1996.
Sr. Assistant Scientist. Warner-Lambert/Parke-Davis Pharmaceutical Research, Ann Arbor, MI (USA). 1980–1982.
- Haddad, G.,Wong, K.,Petersen, P. (2016). Evaluation of the aging process of composite insulator based on surface charaterisation techniques and electrical method In: IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Inslation, 23, 311 - 318
- Rogers, T.,Petersen, P.,Koopmans, L.,Lappas, P.,Boretti, A. (2015). Structural characteristics of hydrogen and compressed natural gas fuel jets In: International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 40, 1584 - 1597
- Morrison, S.,Clothier, R.,Watkins, S.,Petersen, P. (2015). Theoretical and experimental study of rotary deceleration as a means of multi-rotor recovery In: Proceedings of the 16th Australian International Aerospace Congress (AIAC16), Melbourne, Australia, 23-26 February 2015
- Gol, B.,Tovar Lopez, F.,Kurdzinski, M.,Tang, S.,Petersen, P.,Mitchell, A.,Khoshmanesh, K. (2015). Continuous transfer of liquid metal droplets across a fluid-fluid interface within an integrated microfluidic chip In: Lab on a Chip - Miniaturisation for Chemistry and Biology, 15, 2476 - 2485
- Garcia Mendoza, J.,Girard, M.,Kasumovic, M.,Petersen, P.,Wilksch, P.,Dyer, A. (2015). Differentiating biological colours with few and many sensors: Spectral reconstruction with RGB and hyperspectral cameras In: PLoS ONE, 10, 1 - 31
- Rogers, T.,Petersen, P.,Lappas, P. (2015). Flow characteristics of compressed natural gas delivery for direct injection spark ignition engines In: SAE Technical Papers, , 1 - 13
- Sivan, V.,Tang, S.,O'Mullane, A.,Petersen, P.,Kalantar Zadeh, K.,Khoshmanesh, K.,Mitchell, A. (2014). Influence of semiconducting properties of nanoparticle coating on the electrochemical actuation of liquid metal marble In: Applied Physics Letters, 105, 1 - 5
- Tang, S.,Sivan, V.,Petersen, P.,Zhang, W.,Morrison, P.,Kalantar Zadeh, K.,Mitchell, A.,Khoshmanesh, K. (2014). Liquid metal actuator for inducing chaotic advection In: Advanced Functional Materials, 24, 5851 - 5858
- Gerhardt, N.,Clothier, R.,Wild, G.,Mohamed, A.,Petersen, P.,Watkins, S. (2014). Analysis of inlet flow structures for the integration of a remote gas sensor on a multi-rotor unmanned aircraft system In: Proceedings of the Fourth Australasian Unmanned Systems Conference (ACUS 2014), Melbourne, Australia, 15-16 December 2014
- Rogers, T.,Petersen, P.,Karra, P.,Lappas, P. (2014). Delivery evaluation of high pressure natural gas fuel injection In: Sustainable Automotive Technologies 2014: Proceedings of the 6th ICSAT: Part of the series Lecture Notes in Mobility, Springer, Switzerland
1 Masters by Research Completions