Dr Shams Rahman is a Professor of Supply Chain Management at the School of Business IT and Logistics, RMIT University. He is also the Deputy Head of School, Research and Innovation.
Professor Rahman, a former British Commonwealth scholar, has worked with several universities in Australia, United Kingdom, and Thailand. In Australia he worked for the University of Western Australia, The University of Sydney, prior to joining RMIT University. He also held visiting fellowship at the Virginia Tech, US and University of Exeter, UK and currently, an International research scholar to Shanghai University of International Business and Economics, Shanghai, China.
Professor Rahman is an expert in the in the field of supply chain logistics and he is frequently called upon to make presentations for various professional bodies and senior executives on issues such as supply chain sustainability, talent management in logistics, lean six-sigma and quality management, reverse logistics, and theory of constraints.
Professor Rahman is on the editorial board of fourteen international journals. He is an Associate Editor of the International Journal of Information Systems and Supply Chain Management, a Regional Editor of the International Journal of Logistics and Supply Chain Management Systems, and a Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the Advances in Information Systems and Supply Chain Management (Book Series). He is also the foundation member of the International Advisory Committee of the Asia-Pacific Federation of Logistics & Supply Chain Systems.
Professor Shams Rahman has published over 165 research papers which include articles in international journals, book chapters, and referred papers in international conference proceedings. Currently he is writing a case book on Reverse Logistics.
Areas of Expertise
Supply chain sustainability, reverse logistics, lean six sigma, retail logistics, talent management in supply chains, theory of constraints
- Published over 150 research articles in international refereed journals, book chapters and conference proceedings.
- Experienced in providing leadership as Deputy Head of School, Research and Innovation.
- Experienced in providing leadership as Head/ Director/Co-ordinator, managed logistics & supply chain Management at graduate and undergraduate level.
- Developed joint academic programs with international institutions.
- Experienced in soliciting and attracting funds from external sources.
- Developed collaborative research with Australian and overseas universities in Europe and Asia-Pacific Region.
- Provided executive management courses for executives from the multinational companies in the areas of health supply chain, six sigma and lean logistics, strategic outsourcing, and Theory of constraints.
- Experienced in mentoring junior colleagues.
- Experienced in designing, developing and implementing new academic programs in logistics & supply chain management, operations management, quality management, strategic management at both on-shore and off-shore locations.
- Provided management consulting services in logistics and supply chain management, six-sigma, demand forecasting, quality management, ISO 14000 and ISO 9000 certification.
- Experienced in lecturing at graduate level (PhD, MBA, Master in Logistics & Supply Chain Management, Honours) and undergraduate level
- Experienced in research in the areas of: Reverse/Green supply chain logistics and sustainability, Cold chain and Pharmaceutical logistics, Low cost country sourcing, risk and Complexity, Security issues in global supply chains, Theory of constraints, and Quality management, Six-sigma quality & Lean logistics.
- Experienced in teaching and developing teaching materials for overseas locations such as Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Thailand.
Industry Based Research Projects
- Reverse Logistics in Asia-Pacific – Case studies
- Logistics Competency-Gap Analysis for Operations Managers
- Bi-lingual Learning & Teaching in Logistics & Supply Chain Management
Recent Invited Lectures
- Keynote presentation on Talent Development in Logistics and Supply Chain in the International Context: An Academia-Industry Collaborative Approach, 13th China National University Logistics Teaching Research Conference, Tianjin China 1-3 August 2014.
- Presentation. A keynote speech on Talent management, Australia New Zealand Chief Logistics Officer Submit 2013, February 17 -19, Gold Coast.
- Presentation. Keynote speech on Six Sigma and Lean Process at the two-day conference organised by the Compliance Operations Victoria, Australian Customs and Border Protection Service, 23-24 May 2012, Sorrento, Mornington Peninsula, Victoria.
- Presentation. An invited presentation at the Reverse Logistics and Returns Management, Hong Kong, 18-19 May 2011. Topic: Green supply chain management – addressing recycling and disposal considerations.
- Presentation. Keynote speaker at the 43th Annual Convention of Operational Research Society of India (ORSI) & International Conference on Operations Research for Urban and Rural Development, Madurai, India, 15 – 17 December 2010. Topic: Supply Chain: Divide and conquer.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Operations Research, University of Exeter, Exeter, UK.
- Master of Engineering (M.E) in Industrial Engineering & Management
- Master of Science (MSc) in Mechanical Engineering
- Recipient of the British Commonwealth Scholarship, 1988
- Recipient of CDG Scholarship (Germany), 1982
International Journal Editorial Board Member
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Information Systems and Supply Chain Management
- Regional Editor, International Journal of Logistics and Supply Chain Management Systems
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Advances in Information Systems and Supply Chain Management (Book Series)
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Logistics Management
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Logistics & Supply Chain Management
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Applied Management Science
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Remanufacturing
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Data Analysis Techniques and Strategies
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Information and Decision Sciences
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Transport and Supply Chain Management
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Quality and Innovation.
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Business Information and Technology (IJBIT)
- Member, Editorial Board, ISRN Industrial Engineering
- Member since 2004, International Advisory Committee, The Asia Pacific Federation of Logistics & Supply Chain Systems
- Member since 2009, International Advisory Committee, The Asia Pacific Federation of Logistics & Supply Chain Systems
- Member since 2010, International Advisory Committee, International Symposium on Logistics
- Member since 2007, Supply Chain and Logistics Association Australia
- Member since 2001, Logistics Association Australia
- Member since 1996, Australian Institute of Management (AIM)
- Member since 1989, Operational Research Society, UK
- Member since 1983, Alumni Association, Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) Bangkok, Thailand
- Aug 1998 – Sept 1998 Visiting Research Fellow, University of Exeter, Exeter, UK
- Oct 1998 – Dec 1998 Visiting Fellow, Virginia Tech. Virginia, US
- July 2000 – Aug 2000 Independent University Bangladesh, School of Business, Dhaka.
Current External Appointments
- Since 2011 – Discipline Expert, Global Supply Chain, NSW Depart of Education & Training, NSW
- Since 2010 – Member, International Advisory Committee, International Symposium on Logistics
- Since 2004 -Member, International Advisory Committee, The Asia Pacific Federation of Logistics & Supply Chain Systems.
- Ahsan, K.,Rahman, S. (2016). An investigation into critical service determinants of customer to business (C2B) type product returns in retail firms In: International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 46, 606 - 633
- Ahsan, K.,Rahman, S. (2015). Green procurement challenges in public hospitals: A case of Queensland state In: The Proceedings of 20th International Symposium on Logistics, Bologna, Italy, 6-8 July 2015
- Ahsan, K.,Rahman, S. (2015). An investigation into challenges of green procurement in Australian public hospitals In: Proceedings of the 13th ANZAM Operations, Supply Chain and Services Management Symposium (ANZAM 2015), Melbourne, Australia, 31 May - 2 June 2015
- Huang, Y.,Rahman, S.,Wu, Y.,Huang, J. (2015). Salient task environment, reverse logistics and performance In: International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 45, 979 - 1006
- Rahman, S.,Yadlapalli, A. (2015). Sustainable practices in luxury apparel industry In: Handbook of Sustainable luxury textiles and Fashion: Volume 1, Springer Science+Business Media, Singapore
- Gunasekaran, A.,Subramanian, N.,Rahman, S. (2015). Green supply chain collaboration and incentives: current trends and future directions In: Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 74, 1 - 10
- Akter, N.,Rahman, S.,Chhetri, P. (2015). Modeling intention to use 3PL services: an application of the theory of planned behavior In: Proceedings of the 20th International Symposium on Logistics (ISL 2015), Bologna, Italy, 5-8 July 2015
- Sangka, K.,Rahman, S.,Jie, F. (2015). Competencies of operations managers in Indonesian third party logistics and freight forwarding firms In: Proceedings of the 29th Annual Conference of the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management (ANZAM 2015), Queenstown, New Zealand, 2-4 December 2015
- Gunasekaran, A.,Subramanian, N.,Rahman, S. (2015). Supply chain resilience: Role of complexities and strategies In: International Journal of Production Research, 53, 6809 - 6819
- Wan Omar, W.,Rahman, S. (2015). Determining critical factors of halal food supply chain using the Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) In: Proceedings of the 29th Annual Conference of the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management, Queenstown, New Zealand, 2-4 December 2015
8 PhD Completions9 PhD Current Supervisions