Peter Rushbrook is Deputy Head, Learning and Teaching in the School of Education RMIT.
Peter is an adult educator and researcher with wide experience in the community, vocational and higher education sectors. He has taught in Victoria, New South Wales, the United States, Papua New Guinea and Singapore. His current roles include:
- Senior Lecturer (Industry Professional Studies)
- Program Manager, Graduate Diploma (Adult and Vocational Education)
- Program Manager, Master in Education
- Co-convenor, Vocational Education Cluster within the School of Education’s Centre for Education, Training and Work in the Asian Century
- Registered research supervisor with interests in adult learning, vocational education, workplace learning, history of education and education policy analysis.
His research interests are the product of this background and include:
- adult education pedagogies and curriculum
- Vocational Education and Training (VET) curriculum and assessment
- workplace learning
- qualitative research methodologies
- the history of education
- education policy analysis.
Peter has published widely in the field in peer-reviewed journals, edited books, monographs and grant-based reports. As a researcher he has been awarded national and local competitive grants and conducted a range of national and international industry-based consultancies. Related to his research interests he has presented conference papers in the Asia-Pacific, North America and Europe.
Currently Peter is a member of the School of Education’s Centre for Education, Training and Work in the Asian Century and co-convenor of its Vocational Education Cluster. He is also a member of related bodies in the professional research community.
His research and educational portfolio includes the privilege of working with masters and doctoral students. He has successfully supervised ten doctoral candidates and an equal number of Honours and masters candidates.
- PhD Monash University)
- MEd Studs (Monash University)
- BA(Hons) (La Trobe University)
- DipEd (La Trobe University)
- Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Adult Learning, Singapore (2011–2014)
- Senior Lecturer (Vocational Education and Training), Charles Sturt University (2000–2012)
- Research Fellow, Monash University (1994–1996)
- TAFE Educator (1981–2000)
- Bound, H.,Rushbrook, P. (2015). Problematising workplace learning In: Towards a new understanding of workplace learning: The context of Singapore, Institute for Adult Learning, Singapore
- Rushbrook, P. (2015). Preparing Singapore's adult educators for workplace learning: Rethinking the novice to expert metaphor In: Towards a new understanding of workplace learning: The context of Singapore, Institute for Adult Learning, Singapore, Singapore
- Bound, H.,Lin, M.,Rushbrook, P. (2014). Lifelong learning policies and practices in Singapore: Tensions and challenges In: Promoting, assessing, recognizing and certifying lifelong learning: International perspectives and practices, Springer, London, United Kingdom
- Rushbrook, P.,Karmel, A.,Bound, H. (2014). Staying in a certain state of mind: becoming and being a freelance adult educator in Singapore In: Australian Journal of Adult Learning, 54, 415 - 435
- Clemans, A.,Rushbrook, P. (2011). Competency-based training and its impact on workplace learning in Australia In: The Sage Handbook of Workplace Learning, Sage Publications, London, UK
- Rushbrook, P. (2010). Bringing Cinderella to the ball: constructing a federal system of technical and further education in Australia, 1971-1975 In: Journal of Educational Administration and History, 42, 33 - 54
3 PhD Current Supervisions