Dr Jochen Schroeder is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering working in Photonics and Optical Telecommunications.
Jochen Schroeder’s research interests are next generation technology for future optical communication networks, spectral pulse shaping, nonlinear optics and imaging through turbid media.
In particular he work on advanced switching and filtering for optical networks, Space Division Multiplexing (SDM) and Mode Division Multiplexing (MDM) and imaging through multi-mode fibres.
Fellowships and Awards
- ARC Discovery Early Career Research Award Fellow (2012-2015)
- Australian Optical Society Geoff Opat Early Career Researcher Prize (2014)
- Australian Museum Eureka Prize Finalist (The Waveshaper Team), Category: Commercialisation of Innovation. (2013)
- CUDOS Innovation prize for technology transfer to Finisar Australia (2013)
- Australian Postdoctoral Fellow (Industry) (2012, declined)
- Observation of “Echoless light” in New Scientist, IFLscience (>26k likes on their facebook page), Laser Focus World and others. Coverage of observation of Eisenbud-Wigner-Smith states in Nature Photonics.
- “Optics research makes commercial waves” ARC Archway. Coverage of technology transfer to Finisar Australia.
- “Fibre optic cables get better”, Radio Australia. Coverage of 11 Tbit/s demonstration at OFC Postdeadline.
- Course Coordinator for the SECE Capstone projects: Engineering Design 4A and 4B (EEET2267/EEET2268)
- Course Coordinator and Lecturer Optical Fibre Technology (EEET1075)
- Course Coordinator and Lecturer Communication Engineering (EEET2254)
- Optical Fiber Communications Conference (OFC) -- Member Topical Program Committee 2014 - ongoing
- Opto Electronics and Communications Conference (OECC) 2014, (Melbourne Australia), Topical Subcommittee Chair
- CLEO Pacific Rim 2011 (Sydney, Australia) - Workshop organiser: “Phase Sensitive Amplification”, Subcommittee Member
Editorial and Reviewer positions
- Elsevier Heliyon, Editorial Board
- Reviewer: ARC DECRA, Discovery, LIEF and Future Fellowship projects
- Reviewer: Nature Communications, Optics Letters, Optics Express, Journal of Lightwave Technology, Scientific Reports, Photonics Technology Letters
- PhD in Physics, University of Auckland, New Zealand (2009)
- Diplom in Physics, Westfälische Wilhelms Universität Münster (2004)
- Zhang, Y.,Husko, C.,Lefrancois, S.,Rey, I.,Krauss, T.,Schroeder, J.,Eggleton, B. (2016). Cross-phase modulation-induced spectral broadening in silicon waveguides In: Optics Express, 24, 443 - 451
- Corcoran, B.,Schroeder, J.,Zhu, C.,Zhuang, L.,Foo, B.,Burla, M.,Beeker, W.,Leinse, A.,Roeloffzen, C.,Lowery, A. (2016). Multipass performance of a chip-enhanced WSS for Nyquist-WDM sub-band switching In: Journal of Lightwave Technology, 34, 1824 - 1830
- Zhuang, L.,Zhu, C.,Corcoran, B.,Burla, M.,Roeloffzen, C.,Leinse, A.,Schroeder, J.,Lowery, A. (2016). Sub-GHz-resolution C-band Nyquist-filtering interleaver on a high-index-contrast photonic integrated circuit In: Optics Express, 24, 5715 - 5727
- Zhu, C.,Corcoran, B.,Zhuang, L.,Schroeder, J.,Burla, M.,Beeker, W.,Leinse, A.,Roeloffzen, C.,Lowery, A. (2016). Investigation of performance-enhanced ROADMs for N-WDM superchannels carrying high-order QAM In: Proceedings Optical Fiber Communication Conference (OFC 2016), Anaheim, California United States, 20-22 March 2016
- Carpenter, J.,Eggleton, B.,Schroeder, J. (2015). Observation of Eisenbud-Wigner-Smith states as principal modes in multimode fibre In: Nature Photonics, 9, 751 - 757
- Vukovic, D.,Schroeder, J.,Ding, Y.,Pelusi, M.,Du, L.,Ou, H.,Peucheret, C. (2015). Wavelength conversion of DP-QPSK signals in a silicon polarization diversity circuit In: IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 27, 411 - 414
- Corcoran, B.,Zhu, C.,Schroeder, J.,Zhuang, L.,Foo, B.,Burla, M.,Beeker, W.,Lense, A.,Roeloffzen, C.,Lowery, A. (2015). A wavelength selective switch for optical add/drop multiplexing of sub-bands within Nyquist WDM super-channels In: European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC 2015), Valencia, Spain, 27 September - 1 October 2015
- Bohn, J.,Carpenter, J.,Gross, S.,Whitford, M.,Schroeder, J. (2015). Characterization of laser inscribed on-chip photonic lanterns with different core distances In: European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC 2015), Valencia Spain, 27 September to 1 October 2015
- Schroeder, J.,Carpenter, J.,Frisken, S.,Roelens, M.,Eggleton, B. (2015). 6 port 3�3 wavelength selective cross-connect by software-only reprogramming of a 1�N wavelength selective switch In: Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exhibition (OFC 2015), Los Angeles, United States, 22-26 March 2015
- Carpenter, J.,Eggleton, B.,Schroeder, J. (2015). LCoS-based Devices for MDM In: Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exhibition (OFC 2015), Los Angeles, United States, 22-26 March 2015
- Ultrafast optoelectronic characterisation for optical and wireless systems - Administered by The University of Melbourne. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) 2016 from (2016 to 2016)
- Ultra-stable photonic-chip pulse source. Funded by: ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher from (2012 to 2015)
2 PhD Current Supervisions