Rosanna is Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Applied Social Research at RMIT University. Prior to that she was a Senior Research Fellow at the Melbourne Institute and the Deputy Project Director of Journeys Home: A Longitudinal Study of Factors Affecting Housing Stability. Her main field of interest can be broadly described as social economics – the application of economic tools and techniques to help understand important social policy issues.
In addition to her academic background Rosanna has accumulated extensive experience in real world settings. From 2006 until 2009 Rosanna was the Ronald Henderson Research Fellow, a position jointly funded by the Melbourne Institute and the Brotherhood of St Laurence (BSL). In this position Rosanna developed the capacity of the BSL for the economic analysis of social issues while simultaneously helping the Melbourne Institute to further develop its role in applied social policy research. In particular, she accumulated considerable knowledge of the circumstances of economically vulnerable groups. More recently, she was seconded to the Department of Premier and Cabinet (DPC) in Victoria as a Principal Policy Officer. In this role she worked very closely with DPC’s Social Policy Branch, exposing her to the broader State and Federal policy environment on a range of social policy areas including housing, education and training, community development, and human services.
Rosanna has contributed to numerous articles in highly respected peer reviewed economics journals including the Journal of Urban Economics, Journal of Population Economics, Social Science and Medicine and the Economic Record. She has also been successful in obtaining funding from the Australian Research Council for two projects, one of which she was the lead chief investigator. Rosanna has also been involved in public policy analysis and development in Australia through her roles at the Brotherhood of St Laurence and the Victorian Government.
- Phd in Economics, The University of Melbourne Melbourne, Victoria
- Bachelor of Commerce – First Class Honours in Economics, The University of Melbourne Melbourne, Victoria
- Cobb-Clark, D.,Herault, N.,Scutella, R.,Tseng, Y. (2016). A journey home: What drives how long people are homeless? In: Journal of Urban Economics, 91, 57 - 72
- Bevitt, A.,Chigavizira, A.,Herault, N.,Johnson, G.,Moschion, J.,Scutella, R.,Tseng, Y.,Wooden, M.,Kalb, G. (2015). Journeys Home Research Report No 6: Findings from Waves 1 to 6 In: Australian Government Department of Social Services Canberra, Australia
- Johnson, G.,Scutella, R.,Tseng, Y.,Wood, G. (2015). Entries and exits from homelessness: a dynamic analysis of the relationship between structural conditions and individual characteristics In: AHURI Final Report Series - Project:The interrelationship between structural factors and individual risk factors in explaining homelessness - AHURI Final Report No. 248, 248, 1 - 67
- Scutella, R.,Wooden, M. (2015). The dynamics of homlessness In: Homelessness in Australia, UNSW Press, Sydney, Australia
- Fok, Y.,Scutella, R.,Wilkins, R. (2015). The low-pay no-pay cycle: are there systematic differences across demographic groups? In: Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 77, 872 - 896
- Gregg, P.,Scutella, R.,Vittori, C. (2015). Individual earnings mobility and the persistence of earnings inequalities in Australia In: Economic Record, 91, 16 - 37
- Johnson, G.,Tseng, Y.,Scutella, R.,Wooden, M.,Moschion, J.,Chigavizira, A. (2014). Journeys Home Research Report No 5: Findings from Wave 1 to 5: Special Topics In: Department of Social Services Canberra, Australia
- Scutella, R.,Chigavazira, A.,Killackey, E.,Herault, N.,Johnson, G.,Moschion, J. (2013). Journeys Home Research Report No 4: Findings from Waves 1 to 4 In: Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA), Canberra Canberra, Australia
- Scutella, R.,Wilkins, R.,Kostenko, W. (2013). Intensity and persistence of individuals' social exclusion in Australia In: Australian Journal of Social Issues, 48, 273 - 298
- Killackey, E.,Allott, K.,Cotton, S.,Jackson, H.,Scutella, R.,Tseng, Y.,Borland, J.,Proffitt, T.,Hunt, S.,Kay-Lambkin, F.,Chinnery, G.,Baksheev, G.,Alvarez-Jimenez, M.,McGorry, P. (2013). A randomized controlled trial of vocational intervention for young people with first-episode psychosis: method In: Early Intervention in Psychiatry: the development, onset and treatment of emerging mental disorders, 7, 329 - 337