Dr Kalpit Shah's current research projects and career interests include the fundamental and applied research in the area of advanced thermochemical conversion systems. I have gained over 15 years of valuable research and industrial consultancy experience. Dr Shah's assets are the sound fundamental chemical engineering knowledge and innovations in the process engineering and energy field together with first-rate hands on experience. Dr Shah also has contributed to process/reactor design, project management, installation and commissioning activities in chemical industries as well as underwrote several patents in Australia and overseas.
Dr Shah has broad experience, knowledge and interests in the advanced energy field, particularly in the following application areas:
- Development of Self-Patented Novel Advanced Chemical Looping Based Process for Emission Reduction: Examples include Mineral Looping Tar Removal, Stone Dust Looping For VAM Mitigation, Chemical Lopping Carbon Reforming for Utilizing CO2 for Methanol Synthesis, Soil Looping Carbon Arrestor for Reduction of Poultry Emissions, Chemical Looping Carbon Arrestor for Bio-char Production and Chemical Looping Energy Storage.
- Fundamental Research On Conventional and Advanced Low Emission Thermo-Chemical Conversion Technologies (e.g. Conventional, Oxy-fuel and Chemical Looping Combustion, Gasification, Reforming and Pyrolysis of Coal, Biomass and Related Wastes);
- CO2 Capture and Utilization (mainly focusing on conversion of CO2 into value added products)
- Coal and Biomass Solvent Extraction Using Novel Green Solvents (mainly focusing on ionic liquids)
- Energy Efficiency in Process Industries (e.g. Energy Optimization)
- Smart Carbon Materials Synthesis and Characterization
- Waste to Energy and Value Added Products
Honors / Awards / Scholarships
- 2015 Excellence in Innovation Award, Newcastle Innovation, Australia.
- 2015 Faculty Award for Excellence in Research, The University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 2014 Top Teachers Award for CHEE3731, The University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 2013 Top Teachers Award for CHEE3731, The University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 2013 Best Poster Award, 2nd International Chemical Looping Conference, Chalmers University, Sweden.
- 2011 Best Performance Award, Vuthaluru's Research Group,Curtin University, Australia.
- 2010 Top Tutor Award for Che322, Curtin University of Technology, Australia.
- 2008 Guest Researcher Award, Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands, Netherlands.
- 2007 Curtin International Post graduate Research Scholarship (CIPRS), Curtin University of Technology, Australia.
- 2006 Performance Appreciation Certificate, Rubamin Ltd., India.
- 2005 Youngest Talent Award, Gujarat State Electrical Corporation Ltd., India.
- 2005 Performance Appreciation Certificate, Academy for Conservation of Energy, India.
I have attracted ~$5.7 M (of which $2.7 M as a lead CI) in last five years from ARC, Industry, State/Federal Governments as follows:
- Chemical Looping Plastic Reforming, ARC DECRA, Lead CI, DE170100952 (2017-20: $375k)
- A Novel Tar Removal Process, ARC Linkage, CI, LP160101155 (2017-20: $310k)
- Chemical Looping Redox Energy Storage System, Infratech Industries, Lead CI, G1600828 (2015-16: $643k)
- Chemical Looping Tar Removal, V-Tara Energy, Lead CI, G1501118 (2015-16: $1.1M)
- Chemical Looping VAM Abatement, ACALET, CI, G1400521 (2014-17: $2.7M)
- Stone Dust Looping for VAM abatement, ACARP Funding, Lead CI, G1400713 (2013-16: $760 k)
- Chemical Looping Carbon Reforming, ARC Discovery Project, CI, DP140104599 (2014-2016:$270k)
- Development of VAM Technology Assessment Tool, ACARP Funding, CI, G1300818 (2014: $55k)
I have been involved in three patents during my industrial tenure. Since joining academia, I hold five patents.
- Shah, K. Moghtaderi, B., Doroodchi, E. 2016, Patent number: US20160158697.
- Moghtaderi, B., Wall, T., Shah, K. 2016, Patent number: US9346013.
- Shah, K. Moghtaderi, B., Doroodchi, E. 2015, Patent number: WO2015003219.
- Moghtaderi, B., Wall, T., Shah, K. 2014, Patent number: US20140219895.
- Moghtaderi, B., Wall, T., Shah, K. 2013, Patent number: WO2013040645.
- PROC2091 Process Systems Integration
- PROC 2114 Research Project
- Process Principles (PROC2078)
- 2011 Ph.D, Chemical Engineering, Curtin University of Technology, WA, Australia.
- 2005 Energy Auditor,National Productivity Council, India.
- 2001 B. E Chemical Engineering, South Gujarat University, India
- 07/2014 – 09/2016, Senior Lecturer, Chemical Engineering Department, University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 07/2013 – 07/2014, Senior Research Academic, Chemical Engineering Department, University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 07/2011 – 07/2013, Research Associate, Chemical Engineering Department, University of Newcastle, Australia.
- 08/2007-07/2011, Research Associate, Chemical Engineering Department, Curtin University, Australia.
- 09/2008-07/2010, Biomass Coal and Environmental Research Group, Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands, the Netherlands.
- 05/2007- 08/2007 Energy Manager, Indian Petrochemical Corporation Ltd., India
- 07/2006-05/2007, Senior Executive Projects, Rubamin Ltd., India.
- 01/2006 – 07/2006, Process Engineer, Nirma Ltd., India.
- 12/2003 – 12/2005, Process Engineer and Team Leader, Academy for Conservation of Energy, India.
- 11/2001 – 05/2003, Engineer Trainee, Deepak Nitrite Ltd., India.
- Advanced Process Modelling and Simulation
- Revamping of Several Unit Operations
- Reactor Design and Scale-up
- Detailed Techno-economic Assessment
Dr Shah's research is supported by a wide range of innovative and cutting edge experimental –self-designed lab scale and pilot scale setups (i.e. TGA, Fixed Bed, Fluidized Bed rigs) and modeling (e.g. ASPEN Plus V 8.4, ANSYS Fluent 14.0, CHEMKIN, Fact-sage 6.1, COSILAB, HSC Chemistry) techniques. Dr Shah has research experience with lab-, pilot- and full-scale plants and been quite instrumental with variety of experimental and modeling approaches.
Professional appointments / service
- Guest Lecturer, International Energy Centre, The University of Queensland, 2012-14.
- Associate Editor, Advanced Fossil Fuel Technologies, 2016- present.
- Organising Committee member, Australian Combustion Symposium, 2015.
- Reviewer for 22 international high impact journals, 2011-present.
- Grant Assessor, Australia-India Strategic Research Fund, 2015.
- Grant Assessor, Australian Research Council, 2013- present.
- Zhou, C.,Tremain, P.,Doroodchi, E.,Moghtaderi, B.,Shah, K. (2017). A novel slag carbon arrestor process for energy recovery in steelmaking industry In: Fuel Processing Technology, 155, 124 - 133
- Cummings, J.,Tremain, P.,Shah, K.,Heldt, E.,Moghtaderi, B.,Atkin, R.,Kundu, S.,Vuthaluru, H. (2017). Modification of lignites via low temperature ionic liquid treatment In: Fuel Processing Technology, 155, 51 - 58
- Zhou, C.,Remoroza, A.,Shah, K.,Doroodchi, E.,Moghtaderi, B. (2016). Experimental study of static and dynamic interactions between supercritical CO2/water and Australian granites In: Geothermics, 64, 246 - 261
- Alghamdi, Y.,Peng, Z.,Shah, K.,Moghtaderi, B.,Doroodchi, E. (2016). A correlation for predicting solids holdup in the dilute pneumatic conveying flow regime of circulating and interconnected fluidised beds In: Powder Technology, 297, 357 - 366
- Khairul, M.,Shah, K.,Doroodchi, E.,Azizian, R.,Moghtaderi, B. (2016). Effects of surfactant on stability and thermo-physical properties of metal oxide nanofluids In: International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 98, 778 - 787
- Dar, T.,Shah, K.,Moghtaderi, B.,Page, A. (2016). Formation of persistent organic pollutants from 2,4,5-trichlorothiophenol combustion: A density functional theory investigation In: Journal of Molecular Modeling, 22, 1 - 8
- Patel, S.,Tremain, P.,Sandford, J.,Moghtaderi, B.,Shah, K. (2016). Empirical kinetic model of a stone dust looping carbonator for ventilation air methane abatement In: Energy and Fuels, 30, 1869 - 1878
- Yin, F.,Shah, K.,Zhou, C.,Tremain, P.,Yu, J.,Doroodchi, E.,Moghtaderi, B. (2016). Novel calcium-looping-based biomass-integrated gasification combined cycle: Thermodynamic modeling and experimental study In: Energy and Fuels, 30, 1730 - 1740
- Zhou, C.,Shah, K.,Song, H.,Zanganeh, J.,Doroodchi, E.,Moghtaderi, B. (2016). Integration options and economic analysis of an integrated chemical looping air separation process for oxy-fuel combustion In: Energy and Fuels, 30, 1741 - 1755
- Peng, Z.,Doroodchi, E.,Alghamdi, Y.,Shah, K.,Luo, C.,Moghtaderi, B. (2015). CFD-DEM simulation of solid circulation rate in the cold flow model of chemical looping systems In: Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 95, 262 - 280
- A Novel Chemical Looping Process For Carbon Fiber Production From Plastics. Funded by: ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) 2017 from (2017 to 2019)
1 PhD Current Supervisions