- Settlement of marine invertebrate larvae, particularly fouling species.
- Microbial ecology of aquatic biofilms.
- Ecology of aquatic protozoans.
- Impacts of ocean acidification on marine invertebrates.
- Impacts and control of the invasive saltmarsh grass Spartina anglica in Australia.
- Small-scale physical-biological interactions in marine ecology, particularly ecological effects of water flow.
- Mechanics of suspension feeding by aquatic invertebrates and protozoa.
- RMIT University, Lecturer, School of Applied Sciences, Dec. 2007 - present.
- Australian Maritime College, Lecturer, National Centre for Marine and Coastal Conservation, 2007. Taught marine science and meteorology.
- University of Melbourne, Lecturer, Zoology Dept., 2006-2007. Taught zoology and ecology.
- Australian Marine Ecology Pty. Ltd., Marine Ecologist, 2006. Conducted research as part of the Supplemental Environmental Effects Statement for the Port Phillip Bay Channel Deepening Project.
- University of California, Davis, California, U.S.A., Lecturer, Section of Evolution and Ecology, 2005. Taught zoology and evolution.
- University of California, Berkeley, California, U.S.A., Visiting Associate Professor, Integrative Biology Dept., 2004. Taught biological oceanography.
- Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., Assistant Professor and Associate Professor, Biology Dept., 1997-2005. Taught marine ecology, zoology, and general biology. Led a research program on ecology of marine invertebrates and protozoa.
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, Massachusetts, U.S.A., Postdoctoral Scholar and Guest Investigator, Biology Dept. and Applied Ocean Physics and Engineering Dept., 1995-2000, 2004. Conducted research on marine protozoan ecology and mapping of epibenthic invertebrate assemblages.
- University of California, Berkeley, California, U.S.A., Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Miller Institute for Basic Research in Science and Integrative Biology Dept., 1993-1995. Conducted research on marine invertebrates.
- 2012 Outstanding Good Teaching Scale (BIOL2061), College of Science, Engineering and Health.
- 2011 Outstanding Good Teaching Scale (BIOL2151, BIOL2255), College of Science, Engineering and Health.
- 2011 RMIT University Teaching Award for widening participation in programs (Open Universities Australia online courses).
- 2010 Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning, Australian Learning and Teaching Council.
- 2010 Top 50 Course (BIOL2255), College of Science, Engineering andHealth.
- 2009 Students' Choice Teaching Award, College of Science, Engineering and Health.
- 2009 RMIT University Teaching Award in Biological Sciences, Health and Related Studies.
- 2009 Top 50 Course (BIOL2255), College of Science, Engineering and Health.
- 2008 Teaching and Learning Award, School of Applied Sciences.
- Testing the waters (YouTube video)
Course coordinator for:
- BIOL2061: Field Practicum at Lizard Island Research Station, Great Barrier Reef
- BIOL2151 Animal Diversity
- BIOL2255 Marine Biology
- ENVI1009 The Ecosphere
- ENVI1145 Environmental Sampling and Analysis
- ONPS2334 Scientific Skills and Communication
- ONPS2335 The Professional Scientist
- ONPS2186 Science Project
Program leader for:
- BP229BISC Bachelor of Science (Biological Sciences)
- Ph.D. in Oceanography, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, U.S.A., 1993
- B.A. in Biology with Distinction, Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota, U.S.A., 1986
- Editorial Board Member, Iranian Journal of Fisheries Sciences, 2009-2011.
- Member of the Australian Marine Sciences Association (Victorian chapter Council Member), American Society of Limnology and Oceanography, International Society of Protistologists, and The Oceanography Society.
- Reviewer for the scientific journals American Naturalist; Aquatic Ecology; Aquatic Microbial Ecology; Biological Bulletin; Continental Shelf Research; Ecotoxicology; Estuaries; Freshwater Biology; Invertebrate Biology; Journal of Experimental Biology; Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology; Journal of Marine Systems; Journal of Sea Research; Journal of Theoretical Biology; Limnology and Oceanography; Limnology and Oceanography Methods; Marine Biology; Marine Ecology Progress Series; Oecologia; Proceedings of the Royal Society; Science.
- Leary, M.,Piola, R.,Shimeta, J.,Toppi, S.,Mayson, S.,McMillan, M.,Brandt, M. (2016). Additive manufacture of anti-biofouling inserts for marine applications In: Rapid Prototyping Journal, 22, 416 - 434
- Wardrop, P.,Shimeta, J.,Nugegoda, D.,Morrison, P.,Miranda, A.,Tang, M.,Clarke, B. (2016). Chemical pollutants sorbed to ingested microbeads from personal care products accumulate in fish In: Environmental Science and Technology, 50, 4037 - 4044
- Shimeta, J.,Saint, L.,Verspaandonk, E.,Nugegoda, D.,Howe, S. (2016). Long-term ecological consequences of herbicide treatment to control the invasive grass, Spartina anglica, in an Australian saltmarsh In: Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 176, 58 - 66
- Kleinhenz, L.,Nugegoda, D.,Verspaandonk, E.,Coombes, D.,Howe, S.,Shimeta, J. (2016). Toxicity of an herbicide and adjuvant to saltmarsh invertebrates in the management of invasive grass; Comparative laboratory and field tests In: Marine Pollution Bulletin, 109, 334 - 343
- Watson, M.,Scardino, A.,Zalizniak, L.,Shimeta, J. (2016). Inhibition of invertebrate larval settlement by biofilm ciliates In: Marine Ecology Progress Series, 557, 77 - 90
- Watson, M.,Scardino, A.,Zalizniak, L.,Shimeta, J. (2015). Colonisation and succession of marine biofilm-dwelling ciliates in response to environmental variation In: Aquatic Microbial Ecology, 74, 95 - 105
- Watson, M.,Scardino, A.,Zalizniak, L.,Shimeta, J. (2015). Colonisation and succession of microbial biofilm assemblages on antifouling and foul-release coatings in temperate Australia In: Biofouling, 31, 709 - 720
- Halder, P.,Nasabi, M.,Jayasuriya, N.,Shimeta, J.,Deighton, M.,Bhattacharya, S.,Mitchell, A.,Bhuiyan, M. (2014). An assessment of the dynamic stability of microorganisms on patterned surfaces in relation to biofouling control In: Biofouling, 30, 695 - 707
- NGUYEN, K.,Van, T.,Nguyen, H.,Smooker, P.,Shimeta, J.,Coloe, P. (2014). Molecular characterization of antibiotic resistance in Pseudomonas and Aeromonas isolates from catfish of the Mekong Delta, Vietnam In: Veterinary Microbiology, 171, 397 - 405
- Chua, M.,Shimeta, J.,Nugegoda, D.,Morrison, P.,Clarke, B. (2014). Assimilation of polybrominated diphenyl ethers from microplastics by the marine amphipod, allorchestes compressa In: Environmental Science and Technology, 48, 8127 - 8134
- Predictive capability for particle capture in aquatic ecosystems - Administered by the University of Western Australia. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects via other University Grant 2015 from (2015 to 2017)
- Experiment-Based Evaluation of Management Practices for Control of the Invasive Saltmarsh Grass, Spartina anglica.. Funded by: Parks Victoria Competitive Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2015)
- Experiment based evaluation of management practices for the control of Spartina. Funded by: West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority Contract from (2014 to 2015)
- The influence of microbial biofilm communities on larval settlement of marine biofouling invertebrates. Funded by: ANZ Holsworth Wildlife Research Grant pre-2014 from (2013 to 2015)
- Marine fouling invertebrates: investigating their colonisation mechanisms to better protect marine infrastructure and biodiversity.. Funded by: Ian Potter Foundation Grant pre-2014 from (2009 to 2010)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
3 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions4 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions
Coastal and marine ecology, particularly relating to invertebrates and protozoa; Biomechanics of organism-flow interactions; Microbial food-web dynamics and nutrient cycling; microbial activities in impacted marine sediments; Settlement of marine invertebrate larvae