Dr Nirajan Shiwakoti is a transportation engineer with over 12 years of academic and professional experience.
Dr Shiwakoti is a Program Leader of Urban Transportation Systems research theme and a key founding member of Intelligent Transportation Systems Research Group. Prospective postgraduate student who wish to pursue his/her PhD or Masters research can contact Dr Shiwakoti for scholarship options.
Dr Shiwakoti has published over 70 journal articles, conference papers and book chapters. Detailed list of his publications can be found at his Google Scholar webpage. He has attracted several research grants for his research including highly competitive Australian Research Council (ARC) grant. His research team on Urban Transportation Systems work on two key research activities.
1. Urban mobility and resilience
- Logistics and Supply Chain Resilience
- Passengers Crowd Dynamics and Evacuation Modelling at Major Transport Hubs.
- Urban Congestion Pricing
- Traffic Safety
- Effects of extreme weather events at seaport and roads.
- Integrated multi-modal transport systems
- System Dynamics approach to the life cycle assessment of transport systems
2. Smart technology solutions
- Traffic data collection via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Infrared sensors
- Human factors and connected vehicles
- Program Manager, Sustainable Systems Engineering (BH076) and its associated double degree on Business Management (BH092) and Industrial Design (BH100)
- Course Coordinator for Intelligent Transport Systems and Sustainable Transport Systems courses at postgraduate and undergraduate level.
- AUTO 1929 / MIET2493 Intelligent Transport Systems
- AUTO 1928 / MIET2494 Sustainable Transport Systems
- OENG 1118 Sustainable Engineering Practice and Design
- Urban Transportation Systems research team
- Masters and Doctoral research candidate supervision
- Doctor of Philosophy (Transport Engineering), Institute of Transport Studies (ITS), Monash University
- Master of Engineering (Urban and Environmental Engineering), Hokkaido University
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering (Hons.) Tribuvan University
- 2014-current, Senior Lecturer, RMIT University
- 2011-2014, Lecturer, Institute of Transport Studies, Monash University
- 2007-2010, Senior Tutor and Casual Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, Monash University
- 2003-2004, Civil Engineer, Development Network (P.) Ltd.
- Public Transport Victoria
- Department of Transport
- Local Council
Professional interests and links to industry
- Contributing editor, Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, Elsevier
- Committee member, US Transportation Research Board Committee on Transit Capacity and Quality of Service (AP015), Washington, D.C., USA
- International Scientific Committee member, 11th Eastern Asia Society for Transport Studies (EASTS) conference, Cebu, 2015
- Program Sub-committee member, 23rd Intelligent Transport Systems World Congress (ITSWC), Melbourne, 2016
- Assessor, Australian Research Council (ARC) competitive grants
- Reviewer of several transportation journals including Transportation Research Record, Physica A, Transportation Research Part C, Transportmetrica B, IET Intelligent Transport Systems, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Journal of Advanced Transportation
- Member, Engineers Australia (M.I.E.Aust.)
- 15th Fresh Science Award as well as "best presentation to public" from Fresh Science Community, 2012
- Travel fellowship for presenting a paper at 19th International Symposium of Transport and Traffic Theory, hosted by University of California, Berkeley, USA, 2011.
- Australian Road Research Board (ARRB)-Transport Research Prize for my PhD dissertation as a best research in transportation (2010). Also awarded with the special commendation certificate from Australian Road Research Board (ARRB) for the innovativeness of my research work (2009)
- Publication Award, Faculty of Engineering, Monash University (February – April, 2011)
- Monash Graduate Scholarship (MGS) and Monash International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (MIPRS) for PhD research, 2007-2010
- Travel fellowship from International Association of Traffic and Safety Sciences (IATSS), Japan for presenting a paper at 12th ISSOT symposium, 2007.
- Japanese Government Scholarship (Monbukagakusho) for Master Research (2004-2006)
- University full scholarship for Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering (1998-2002)
- Research contributions featured in:
- National Geographic Chanel, USA, 2014
- Nautilus science magazine, USA, 2014
- NewScientist Science Magazine, UK, 2013
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) Television, Australia, 2008
- Discovery Chanel Canada, 2008
- Shiwakoti, N.,Tay, R.,Stasinopoulos, P.,Woolley, P. (2017). Likely behaviours of passengers under emergency evacuation in train station In: Safety Science, 91, 40 - 48
- Shiwakoti, N.,Tay, R.,Stasinopoulos, P.,Woolley, P. (2016). Passengers' awareness and perceptions of way finding tools in a train station In: Safety Science, 87, 179 - 185
- Liu, Z.,Shiwakoti, N.,Bie, Y. (2016). (In press) Measuring the public acceptance of urban congestion-pricing: A survey in Melbourne, Australia In: Transport, , 1 - 11
- Gu, Z.,Liu, Z.,Shiwakoti, N.,Yang, M. (2016). Video-based analysis of school students' emergency evacuation behavior in earthquakes In: International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 18, 1 - 11
- Liu, Y.,Shi, X.,Ye, Z.,Shiwakoti, N.,Lin, J. (2016). Controlled experiments to examine different exit designs on crowd evacuation dynamics In: Proceedings of the16th COTA International Conference of Transportation Professionals (CICTP 2016), Shanghai, China, 6-9 July 2016
- Alhindawi, R.,Abu Nahleh, Y.,Kumar, A.,Shiwakoti, N. (2016). A multivariate regression model to predict the GHG emission in urban logistics In: Proceedings of the 23rd World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems 2016, Melbourne, Australia, 10-14 October 2016
- Stasinopoulos, P.,Shiwakoti, N.,McDonald, S. (2016). Life-cycle greenhouse gas emissions of electric and conventional vehicles in Australia In: Proceedings of the 23rd World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems 2016, Melbourne, Australia, 10-14 October 2016
- Shiwakoti, N.,Shi, X.,Ye, Z.,Wang, W. (2015). Empirical study on pedestrian crowd behaviour in right angled junction In: Proceedings of the 37th Australasian Transport Research Forum (ATRF 2015), Sydney, Australia, 30 September-2 October 2015
- Pender, B.,Currie, G.,Shiwakoti, N.,Delbosc, A. (2015). Economic viability of bus bridging reserves for fast response to unplanned passenger rail disruption In: Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2537, 13 - 22
- Xiaomeng, S.,Ye, Z.,Shiwakoti, N.,Tang, D.,Wang, C.,Wang, W. (2015). Empirical investigation on safety constraints of merging pedestrian crowd through macroscopic and microscopic analysis In: Accident Analysis and Prevention, , 1 - 12
2 PhD Current Supervisions