Mohini Singh is Professor of Information Systems at RMIT University. She completed her PhD on New Technology Management from Monash University, and is well recognised for her work in the fields of Information Technology and Innovation Management, Digital Business, E-Services, IT Entrepreneurship and Social Media.
The focus of her research is on the application of Information Technology to real world problems underpinned by social science theories and innovative data collection methods. She is one of the first Australian academic to have completed a research project on the evaluation of e-business in Australia using online surveys and electronic data collation in databases for analysis. Her research outcomes reflect methodology development and application–oriented results in the discovery and creation of new knowledge. This work is exemplified by more than 150 refereed publications including books, book chapters, journal articles and conference papers. She has very successfully completed research projects funded from category A funding schemes, the Government and Industry.
Outcomes of her research include publications, delivery of key note addresses at international and industry forums, presentation to the Parliament of Victoria for policy development, academic and industry board membership, Journal editorship and editorial board membership, conference track chair, PhD Opponent at the University of Jyvaskyla, PhD examination with Viva at Brunel University, and examination of a very large number of PhD thesis from universities in Australia and other countries.
She has to date supervised a large number of PhD students to completion in record time, and is well recognised for her expertise in both quantitative and qualitative research techniques. She teaches Research Methods to Higher Degree by Research students in the College of Business. She was an invited professor at the IESEG Graduate School in France for eight years, at Monash University and the University of South Australia.
- Best Paper, 2007, IADIS international Conference on E-Society
- Helen M Schutt Award - Outstanding PhD student,1995, Department of Management, Monash University
- Doctoral Scholarship, 1995, Faculty of Business, Victoria University
- Business Value of Web 2.0 Technologies (Social Media): An International Perspective, RMIT University
- The Influence of Web 2.0 Technologies on Organisational Dynamic Capabilities, RMIT University
- Achieving Competitive Advantage with Web 2.0 (Social) Technologies: An Australian Study, RMIT University
- An Evaluation of Mobile Technologies with Victoria Police, Victoria Police
- Use of E-Government Services by the Urban Community, Global Cities Research Institute, RMIT
- Evaluating the Impact of Information and Communications Technology on the Livelihood of Rural Communities, Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation (RIRDC) (Category A)
- Impact of E-administration on Rural Citizens and Governments in France and Australia, French Embassy in Australia and Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia, (Category A)
- An Integrated Infrastructure for Dynamic and Large Scale Supply Chains, ARC Linkage Project (Category A)
- Performance Evaluation of E-Commerce in Australia, Virtual Research Institute Small Grants Scheme, RMIT University
- E-Markets: An Investigation of Value Drivers and Business Implications, Faculty of Business, RMIT and BHP Billiton collaborative research grant scheme
- Opportunities, Challenges and Effectiveness Metrics for the Use of Electronic Commerce in the Food Supply Chain, ARC Small Grant Scheme
- Electronic Commerce in Australia: Industry Structure, Technical Requirements, Business Benefits, Challenges and Effectiveness Metrics, – an extension of a US study in collaboration with Professor Detmar Straub, Georgia State University, Faculty of Business Quantum Research Funding, Victoria University
- Retention via Curricula and Assessment Design, Victoria University Equity Grant
- Knowledge Acquisition Tools in a Business Environment, Department of Business Computing, Victoria University
- Encouraging and supporting a place for female students in computing, Victoria University of Technology
- Advanced Manufacturing Technology in Australia: Critical Success Factors and Strategic Implications, Faculty of Business and Economics Small Research Grant, Monash University
- Introduction to Research Methods (ISYS 3347)
- ISYS 2444 Research Methods
Master of Business Information Technology, RMIT University
- ISYS 3298 Business IT Research Methods
- INTE 2412 IT Governance & Change Management
- INTE 1214 E-Business Models & Issues
Master of Management, Monash University
- MGX9420 Introduction to e-Business
IESEG Graduate School, Catholic University, France (Invited Professor)
- E-Business Management Issues
University of South Australia
- Business Transformation
Victoria Graduate School
- DBA - Management Information Systems 2
School of Business Information Systems, Victoria University
- Master of Business Information Systems - Internet Commerce; Executive Computing; Management of Information Technology; Electronic Messaging Systems; Business Research Methods
- Bachelor of Business, E-Commerce - Developing Electronic Commerce Systems
- Bachelor of Business Information Systems - The Information Professional; The Information Environment; Information Technology Management
- Doctor of Philosophy, Technology and Innovation Management, Monash University, Australia.
- Graduate Diploma in Business Systems, Monash University
- Graduate Certificate in Computers and Business Data Processing, University of Alberta, Canada
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Economics
- Role of Research Group Heads in Staff Development and Appraisal, 2011, Brunel University
- Mentoring academic staff, 2010, Brunel University
- Research grant writing, 2010, Brunel University
- Promoting your research via media, 2010, RMIT University
- Assertiveness and Communication, 2010, RMIT University
- Understanding people’s behavior when they are under stress, 2010, RMIT University
- RMIT Leaders program, 2008/09, RMIT University
- Supervising Academic Staff, 2008, RMIT University
- Women Executive Development, 2006, Australian Technology Network Universities
- Research Supervision Development and Training, 2001 -2007, RMIT University
- Certificate in Code of Practice for Academic Supervisors, 1999, Victoria University
- Certificate in Finding Learning Opportunities on the Web, 1998, Open University, London, U.K
- Certificate in Java Script, 1997, Monash University, Australia
- Certificate in Java Programming, 1997, Monash University, Australia
- Certificate in UNIX Operating System, 1990, Chisolm Institute of Technology, Australia
- Certificate in Tertiary Technical Education Course Design, 1984, Ministry of Education, Fiji
- Certificate in Effective Curriculum Process, 1982, Government of Fiji & Colombo Plan Staff College, Singapore
- Technical Teacher Certificate, 1981, Fiji Institute of Technology, Fiji
- 2008 to date, Professor of Information Systems, School of BIT & L, RMIT University
- 2010, Visiting Professor, Brunel University, U.K.
- 2008 – 2010, Deputy Head of School, Research and Innovation, School of BIT & L
- 2003 – 2007, Associate Professor of Information Technology & E-Business
- 2003 – 2007, Deputy Head of School, Industry Engagement, School of Business IT
- 2003 – 2005, Director, Postgraduate Programs, School of Business IT
- 2001 – 2002, Senior Lecturer, E-Business, RMIT University
- 1997 – 2000, Senior Lecturer, Information Systems, Victoria University
- 1998 – 2000, Founding Director, Electronic Commerce Research Unit, Victoria University
- 1989 – 1997, Lecturer, Information System, Victoria University
- 1988 – 1989, Senior Tutor, Monash University, Clayton Campus
- 1986 – 1988, Senior Lecturer, Fiji Institute of Technology, Fiji
- 1982 – 1984, P/T Lecturer, University of the South Pacific, Fiji
- 1978 – 1984, Lecturer, Fiji Institute of Technology, Fiji
- 1978 – 1981, P/T Tutor, University of the South Pacific, Fiji
Professional Association Membership
- Association for Information Systems (AIS) since 1996
- ISACA (Information Systems Audit and Control Association) - Academic Advocate Australian Computer Society
- International Association of Management of Technology (IAMOT )since 1993
- International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) since 2003
- International Association for the Development of the Information Society (IADIS) 2005 - 2008.
- Australian Computer Society IT Governance Special Interest Group since 2006
- FEAST (Forum for European and Australian Science and Technology cooperation), RMIT representative since 2004
- AFAS – Australian French Association of Science and Technologies
- Commonwealth Centre for Electronic Governance http://www.electronicgovindia.net/
- Victorian Women in ICT, MMV State Government of Victoria
- Victorian ICT special interest group, MMV State Government of Victoria, 2006 – 2007
- Victoria eCommerce Network 2001 – 2004AIIA, Australia
- Academic Association Membership
- The AISWORLD since 1996
- Australian Council for Professors and Heads of Information Systems (ACPHIS) since 2003
International Research Centre Membership
- eLab Research Centre, INSEAD, France
- Information Systems Evaluation and Integration Research Centre, Brunel University, UK
- MIT Digital Business Research Centre, USA
- ELTRUN E-business research centre http://www.eltrun.gr/, Greece
- Swansea University, U K research group on IT and E-Government, UK
RMIT Research Institute/Centre Membership
- Platform Technologies Research Institute
- Global Cities Research Institute
- CRC, Smart Services
- Centre for Governance, Work and Technologies
ERA Reviewer, 2012
Victorian South Korean Trade Mission
- Invited academic on the ICT delegation to South Korea – May, 2012. Department of Business and Innovation, Multimedia, Victoria.
Policy Development, Parliament of Victoria
- Invited to present my research on E-Business, by the Parliament of Victoria to the Rural and Regional Services and Development Committee, to support the development of a policy on telecommunications infrastructure for business in the rural areas of Victoria, on September 5, 2005 – Inquiry on Regional Telecommunications Infrastructure for Business, Final Report, ISBN 0-9757058-2-2.
- European Commission Framework 7 Programs, - Assessor for applications on ‘E-Society’, since 2006
- Electronic Government, An International Journal, January, 2011
- Editors: Vikas Jain, Yogesh Dwivedi, Shirish Srivatava and Mohini Singh
- Journal of E-Commerce Research, September, 2009
- Regular issue editors: Mohini Singh and Nilmini Wickrasanghe
- International Journal of Internet Commerce
- Emerging E-Business Issues, Special Issue September 2007
- Special Issue Editors: Mohini Singh, Maggie McPherson and Pedro Isaias
- International Journal of Knowledge and Learning, 2007
- “Knowledge, technology and the Digital Divide: global perspectives” Special Issue
- Special Issue Editors: Bill Martin, Mohini Singh and Alemayehu Molla
- International Journal of Electronic Government Research
- International Journal of E-Adoption
Journal Editorial Boards Membership
- Journal of Theoretical and Applied Electronic Commerce Research
- Transforming Government: People, Process and Policy (TGPPP) Journal.
- Electronic Journal of Information Management and IT Evaluation
- Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods
- The Journal of Education Computing Research
- International Journal of Business Data Communications and Networking
- IDEA Group Editorial Advisory Review
- Encyclopaedia of Portal Technology and Applications
- Associate Editor, ECIS 2008, 2009
Editorial review Board
- E-Government Development and Diffusion: Inhibitors and Facilitators of Digital Democracy IGI
- Handbook of Research on ICT-Enabled Transformational Government: A Global Perspective - IGI
- Handbook of Research on Contemporary Theoretical Models in Information Systems - IGI
- Track Chair, Social Media and Social Networks in Organisations, ACIS 2013
- Track Chair, Web 2.0 and Social Networks, International Conference on Information Resource Management, 2013.
- Associate Editor, International Conference on Information Systems, 2012.
- Track Chair, WEB 2.0 – Business Value of Social Networks, ECIS 2011
- Associate Editor, European Conference on Information Systems, 2009
- Program Chair – International Conference on E-Government, Oct 23 and 24, 2008 Melbourne, Australia http://academic-conferences.org/iceg/iceg2008/iceg08-home.htm
- Track Chair – eBusiness/eCommerce, eSociety 2007 and 2006 IADIS (International Association for the Development of the Information Society)
- Track Co-Chair – IS/ICT Adoption and Diffusion, ECIS 2008
- Track Co-Chair – E-Government AMCIS 2008
Key Note Address and Research Presentation
- Singh, M., 2010, ‘Web 2.0 and Learning Outcomes’, Key Note Address - WEB2.0 - LEARNING, SYSTEMS, & SECURITY, Brunel University, UK, April.
- Singh, M. 2005, ‘Research on e-business’ to the Parliament of Victoria, to support the development of a policy on telecommunications infrastructure for business in the rural areas of Victoria, on September 5, 2005 – Inquiry on Regional Telecommunications Infrastructure for Business, Final Report, ISBN 0-9757058-2-2.
- Singh, M., 2005, ‘E-Management: B2E Success Factors’, a key note address to the First World Conference on E-Management, Tunisia September, 12 - 16, 2005 pre-World Summit for Information Society.
- Singh, M., 2005, ‘E-Business and E-Government Benefits and Challenges: Implications for Rural and Regional Business and Citizens’, a key note address to the Conference on E-Governance, India, November 12.
- Singh, M. 2003, ‘The Role of Intermediaries in the Australian B2B E-Space’, a key note address presented to the Third International Academy of E-Business Annual Conference 2003,The Future of eBusiness: New Visions & Developments, Jan 3-8, Melbourne.
Invited Academic and Seminar Presentations
- Singh, M., 2010, ‘Mobile Technologies for Police Tasks’, Open University, UK, November.
- Singh, M. and Hackney, R., 2011, ‘Value of Social Technologies in Organisations, Manchester Bus School, UK, January.
- Singh, M., 2011, ‘IS Research at RMIT University, ERA and RMIT/Brunel Scheme’, Brunel University, March.
- Singh, M., 2011, ‘Research on Social Technologies’, Brunel University, March.
- Singh, M., 2009, ‘Government Maturity Models and ICT’, 4th International Academy of CIO (IAC), June 29- 30, Bangkok, Thailand
- Singh, M., 2008, ‘An Evaluation of E-Government Services: A Citizens’ Perspective’, Global City Research Institute, RMIT University.
- Singh, M., 2008, ‘The Impact of ICT-Based Programs in E-Government and E-Learning Programs on Rural and Regional Communities’, RMIT Hamilton Campus, 9 September.
- Singh, M., 2007, ‘Services Science: Trends and Issues for Research and Curriculum’, School of BIT, June 4.
- Singh, M., 2007, ‘Teaching opportunities in France’, French Connections Day at RMIT, May 17.
- Singh, M., 2007, ‘Structure of a Thesis’, School of BIT Research Methods for PhD students, June 4.
- Singh, M., 2006, ‘Electronic Data Collection Methods for Academic Research,’ Department of Computer Science and Information Systems’, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland, 27 November.
- Singh, M., 2006, ‘Electronic Data Collection Methods for Academic Research,’ IESEG Graduate School, Catholic University, Lille, France, 23 November.
- Singh, M., 2006, Research Opportunities with FEAST, International and Development and Research and Innovation Portfolios Europe Workshop, 28 August.
- Singh, M., 2006, ‘E-Government and Digital Divide’, University of Melbourne, May 24.
- Jackson, M. and Singh, M., 2005, Information and Knowledge Sharing in Virtual Communities: A Discussion of Technical and Legal Issues, BRI Seminar, Business Portfolio, RMIT University, June 20.
- Singh, M., 2004, ‘E- Research Methods’, School of Management, Deakin University, Burwood Campus.
- Singh, M., 2004, ‘E-Business and the Digital Divide’, INT Evry, France, September.
- Singh, M., 2004, Expert Panellist on Agility and Flexibility on E-Business, New Technology and Innovation Management at the California State University, Sacramento, USA.
- Singh, M., 2003, ‘Online Service Strategies’, School of Management, Monash University.
- Singh, M., 2003, ‘How to Get Published’, School of Business Information Technology’, RMIT Business, May.
- Singh, M. 2003, ‘Online Surveys: Issues and Challenges’, Faculty of Business, RMIT University, April.
- Singh, M., 2003, ‘Online Service Strategies’, Executive MBA, Monash University, March.
- Singh, M., Corbitt, B. and Swatman, P., 2000, 'Strategies for E-Commerce Success' - panel, Challenges for Electronic Commerce in the New Millennium, February 14, Victoria University, Melbourne.
- Singh, M. 2000, ‘Managing Customer Relations in E-Business’, National University of Singapore, October.
- Singh, M., 1999, ‘Electronic Commerce Trends in Australia’ Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, September 27.
- Singh, M., 1998, ‘An Implementation Model for New Technologies’, Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration, University of British Columbia, Canada, February 13.
- Singh, M., 1996, ‘Computer-based Technologies in Australia: A Step by Step Implementation Process’, School of Management, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand, October 28.
- Craig, A., Fisher, J., Scollary, A. and Singh, M., 1995, ‘Confronting the Issues of Gender in Information Technology’, presented to the National Education Computing Conference (NECC) June 17 – 19, Baltimore, USA.
- Scollary, A., Fisher, J., Singh, M. and Craig, A., 1994, ‘Networking Down under: A Panel Presentation’, presented to the Fifth IFIP International Conference on Women, Work and Computerisation, July, Manchester, U. K.
Invited Industry Presentations
- Singh, M., 2007, ‘Enhancing you Business with New Technologies’, Communicating With Your Customers a forum organised by the Institute of Independent Business, August 17, Melbourne.
- Singh, M., 2006, ‘E-Business and Small Business Opportunities’, NIES May 16.
- Singh, M. 2000, ‘Gearing the Company Culture For eBusiness Implementation', Integrating eBusiness Into Your Organisation's Strategic Plan’, October 23 - 24, Sydney.
- Singh, M., 2000, ‘Assessing e-Business Needs and Style: To Integrate or to Separate’ - Panel, Integrating eBusiness Into Your Organisation's Strategic Plan, October 23 - 24, Sydney.b page
- Judge, AIIA iAwards, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016.
- Singh, M. (2017). (In Pess) Mobile technologies for police tasks: An Australian study In: Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, , 1 - 34
- Kotusev, S.,Singh, M.,Storey, I. (2016). Enterprise architecture practice in retail: Problems and solutions In: Journal of Enterprise Architecture, 12, 28 - 39
- Kotusev, S.,Singh, M.,Storey, I. (2015). Consolidating enterprise architecture management research In: Proceedings of the 48th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, HICSS-48, Kauai, Hawaii, 5-8 January 2015
- Kotusev, S.,Singh, M.,Storey, I. (2015). Investigating the usage of enterprise architecture artifacts In: Proceedings of the 23rd European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2015), M�nster, Germany, 26-29 May 2015
- Singh, M.,Jackson, M. (2015). Online dating sites: A tool for romance scams or a lucrative e-business model? In: 28th Bled eConference #eWellbeing Proceedings - Research Volume, Bled, Slovenia, 7-10 June 2015
- Yang, J.,Singh, M.,Pita, Z.,Storey, I. (2015). The relationship between strategic information systems planning facilitators and the success of South Korean organisations In: Proceedings of the19th Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS 2015), Singapore, 5-9 July 2015
- Zhao, F.,Wallis, J.,Singh, M. (2015). E-government development and the digital economy: a reciprocal relationship In: Internet Research, 25, 734 - 766
- Teo, L.,Singh, M.,Cooper, V. (2014). An investigation of contingent factors for ES benefits realisation In: Proceedings of the 25th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, ACIS 2014, Auckland, New Zealand, 8-10 December 2014
- Paradonsaree, R.,Singh, M.,Gekara, V. (2014). Business process changes for ERP upgrades: impact on organizational capabilities and improvements In: Proceedings of the 35th International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS 2014), Auckland, New Zealand, 14-17 December 2014
- Singh, M.,Jayan, K. (2014). Evolving digital communication: An ACTOR- network analysis of social networking sites In: Technological Advancements and the Impact of Actor-Network Theory, IGI Global, United States
- An evaluation of organisational productivity achieved from the Intranet and its applications.. Funded by: RMIT Foundation from (2010 to 2011)
- An Evaluation of Mobile Computing Technologies with Victoria Police . Funded by: Victoria Police from (2008 to 2008)
- An Integrated Infrastructure for Dynamic and Large Scale Supply Chain. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2006 Round 1 from (2006 to 2010)
- Evaluating the Impact of Information and Communications Technology on the Livelihood of Rural Communities. Funded by: Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation Open Call R&D Projects Grant Pre-2014 from (2006 to 2008)
12 PhD Completions and 3 Masters by Research Completions4 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions