Professor Pauline Stanton joined RMIT as Head of the School of Management in February 2014.
She is a passionate academic and researcher and has published over 60 refereed journal articles, books and book chapters in the last 15 years. This includes journals such as the British Journal of Industrial Relations, the Human Resource Management Journal, the International Journal of Human Resource Management, Journal of Advanced Nursing, Social Science and Medicine and the Journal of Industrial Relations. She also has a large number of conference publications and has presented at international conferences such as the Academy of Management and the Labor and Employment Relations Association annual conference in the USA, and the British Academy of Management Conference in the UK.
She is currently Chief Investigator of an ARC Linkage Grant exploring the impact of business process methodologies on employees in healthcare. She is also a Chief Investigator on an ARC Discovery Grant, comparing employee relations in Multinational Enterprises in eight countries. Previously she has also been successful in securing both industry grants and Aus Aid grants and carried out successful research and training consultancies in a range of industries including, healthcare, Defence, local government, the arts and manufacturing. She also has extensive experience in Asia, in particular China, Vietnam and Mongolia.
Pauline is also an experienced leader and manager, she came to RMIT from Victoria University Melbourne where she had a number of leadership roles including; Deputy Dean, Head of the School of Management and Information Systems and Director of the Victoria Graduate School of Business. Previous to that she was an Associate Professor in the Graduate School of Management at La Trobe University. She has also worked in a range of roles in the health sector and in industrial relations. Pauline has an interest in the arts and is currently the Chair of Black Hole Theatre.
- Managing people in the healthcare industry
- Managing people in the performing arts
- Strategic HRM and High Performance Work Systems
- Employment Relations in Multinational Enterprises
- Employee Voice
- Performance management, appraisal and reward
- BA (Economic and Social Studies) (Hons) University of Manchester 1977
- Certificate of Education University of Manchester 1984
- Master of Science (Employment Studies) University of Salford 1990
- Minor thesis Women and Occupational Pensions Schemes
- PhD Changing Employment Relationships in Victorian Public Hospitals: The Kennett Years 1992-1999, School of Public Health La Trobe University 2002.
Membership of Professional Organisations
- Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management
- Australian Human Resource Institute
- Academy of Management
- Association of Industrial Relations Academics of Australia and New Zealand
- Industrial Relations Society of Victoria.
Editorial Board Membership
- Journal of Organizational Effectiveness: People and Performance
- Evidence Based Human Resource Management
- McDonnell, A.,Boyle, B.,Stanton, P.,Bartram, T.,Burgess, J. (2016). Delineating human resource management practice in domestic and foreign-owned multinational enterprises in Australia In: Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 54, 165 - 187
- Bartram, T.,Boyle, B.,Stanton, P.,Burgess, J.,McDonnell, A. (2015). Multinational enterprises and industrial relations: A research agenda for the 21st century In: Journal of Industrial Relations, 57, 127 - 145
- Young, S.,Leggat, S.,Stanton, P.,Bartram, T. (2015). Organisational development in a rural hospital in Australia In: Australian Health Review, 39, 127 - 135
- Bartram, T.,Boyle, B.,Stanton, P.,Sablok, G.,Burgess, J. (2015). Performance and reward practices of multinational corporations operating in Australia In: Journal of Industrial Relations, 57, 210 - 231
- Bartram, T.,Karimi, L.,Leggat, S.,Stanton, P. (2014). Social identification: linking high performance work systems, psychological empowerment and patient care In: International Journal of Human Resource Management, 25, 2401 - 2419
- Connell, J.,Stanton, P. (2014). Skills and the role of HRM: towards a research agenda for the Asia Pacific region In: Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 52, 4 - 22
- Stanton, P.,Pham, H. (2014). Managing employee performance in an emerging economy: perceptions of Vietnamese managers In: Asia Pacific Business Review, 20, 269 - 285
- Stanton, P.,Gough, R.,Ballardie, R.,Bartram, T.,Bamber, G.,Sohal, A. (2014). Implementing lean management/Six Sigma in hospitals: Beyond empowerment or work intensification? In: International Journal of Human Resource Management, 25, 2926 - 2940
- Bamber, G.,Stanton, P.,Bartram, T.,Ballardie, R. (2014). Human resource management, Lean processes and outcomes for employees: towards a research agenda In: International Journal of Human Resource Management, 25, 2881 - 2891
- Sablok, G.,Bartram, T.,Stanton, P.,Burgess, J.,Mcdonnell, A. (2013). The impact of union presence and strategic human resource management on employee voice in multinational enterprises in Australia In: Journal of Industrial Relations, 55, 621 - 639
- Work Process Change in Hospital Services. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2011 Round 2 from (2011 to 2015)
3 PhD Current Supervisions