Dr Sun has substantial research experience in the areas:
- Laser materials processing
- Advanced manufacturing
- High speed machining and deformation of metal during machining
- Fabrication and mechanical property characterization of metal matrix composite materials
Achievements and accomplishments
- Gordon Dunlop Award for Scientific Excellence in Research Leading to a Technological Achievement, CAST CRC, February 2012.
- Commercialization Award for the project “laser assisted machining of titanium alloys“, CAST CRC, September 2010.
- Doctoral Research Award, University of Canterbury, 1997.
- 2nd class of National Science and Technology Progress Awards, the State Council of P. R. China, 1991.
- 1st class of Science and Technology Progress Awards, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1990.
- PhD, Canterbury University, 1998
- ME, Institute of Metal Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1988
- BE, Northeastern University, China, 1985
- April 2012 – Present:
Senior Lecturer in School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University
- October 2011 – April 2012:
Senior Research Fellow in School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University
- August 2002 – October 2011:
Research Engineer/Senior Research Engineer in IRIS, Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Sciences, Swinburne University of Technology
- March 1999 – February 2001:
Research Fellow in the Materials Processing Division, National Research Institute for Metals (currently known as National Institute for Materials Science), Tsukuba, Japan
- October 1998 – February 1999:
Research Associate in the Department of Engineering, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
- March 1993 – June 1994:
Visiting Scholar, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
- September 1988 – February 1993:
Assistant Professor, Institute of Metal Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China.
- Mazur, M.,Leary, M.,Sun, S.,Vcelka, M.,Shidid, D.,Brandt, M. (2016). Deformation and failure behaviour of Ti-6Al-4V lattice structures manufactured by selective laser melting (SLM) In: The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 84, 1391 - 1411
- Rashid, R.,Palanisamy, S.,Sun, S.,Dargusch, M. (2016). Tool wear mechanisms involved in crater formation on uncoated carbide tool when machining Ti6Al4V alloy In: International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 83, 1457 - 1465
- Sun, S.,Brandt, M.,Dargusch, M. (2016). Effect of tool wear on chip formation during dry machining of Ti-6Al-4V alloy, part 1: Effect of gradual tool wear evolution In: Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, , 1 - 16
- Li, G.,Rahim, M.,Ding, S.,Sun, S. (2016). Performance and wear analysis of polycrystalline diamond (PCD) tools manufactured with different methods in turning titanium alloy Ti-6Al-4V In: International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 85, 825 - 841
- Sun, S.,Fabijanic, D.,Ghaderi, A.,Leary, M.,Toton, J.,Sun, S.,Brandt, M.,Easton, M. (2016). Microstructure and hardness characterisation of laser coatings produced with a mixture of AISI 420 stainless steel and Fe-C-Cr-Nb-B-Mo steel alloy powders In: Surface and Coatings Technology, 296, 76 - 87
- Mazur, M.,Leary, M.,McMillan, M.,Sun, S.,Shidid, D.,Brandt, M. (2016). Mechanical properties of Ti6Al4V and AlSi12Mg lattice structures manufactured by selective laser melting (SLM) In: Laser Additive Manufacturing, Woodhead Publishing Limited, United Kingdom
- Li, G.,Rahim, M.,Ding, S.,Sun, S.,Mo, J. (2016). Experimental study on quality of PCD tools machined by different electric discharge grinding processes In: Cogent Engineering, 3, 1 - 12
- Xu, W.,Sun, S.,Elambasseril, J.,Liu, Q.,Brandt, M.,Qian, M. (2015). Ti-6Al-4V additively manufactured by selective laser melting with superior mechanical properties In: Journal of Metals: The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, 67, 668 - 673
- Sun, S.,Brandt, M.,Palanisamy, S.,Dargusch, M. (2015). Effect of cryogenic compressed air on the evolution of cutting force and tool wear during machining of Ti-6Al-4V alloy In: Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 221, 243 - 254
- Sun, S.,Brandt, M.,Dargusch, M. (2015). Effect of tool wear on chip formation during dry machining of Ti-6Al-4V alloy, part 2: Effect of tool failure modes In: Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, , 1 - 12
- Additive manufacturing wear-resistant products for erosive environments. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2019)
- Internal repair process for high strength low carbon steels utilising laser additive deposition technologies. Funded by: Research Connections 2014 from (2015 to 2016)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
1 PhD Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions
Laser materials processing, Additive manufacturing, Advanced manufacturing, Material sciences and engineering.