- Jan 03 – current, Professor of Aerospace Engineering, School of Aerospace, Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering (SAMME), RMIT.
- Nov 02 – Nov 03 Discipline Director, Aerospace & Systems Engineering, School of Aerospace, Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering (SAMME), RMIT.
- Aug 01 – Mar 03, Chair, Engineering Centre for Aerospace, Mechanical, Manufacturing, Automotive & Renewable Energy Research, RMIT.
- Sep 96 – current, Head and Research Task Manager, RMIT/DSTO-Australia Centre of Expertise in Aerodynamic Loading (CoE-AL).
- Jan 97 – current, Associate Professor of Aerospace Engineering, Department of Aerospace Engineering, RMIT.
- Feb 97 - Dec 97, Senior Lecturer, Department of Aerospace Engineering, RMIT.
- Feb 94 - Feb 97, ARC Researcher and Lecturer, Department of Aerospace Engineering, RMIT.
- Oct 92 - Jun 94:Researcher (for the project with Missile Systems Analysis Group, Weapon Systems Div., DSTO), Dept of Aerospace, RMIT.
- Aug 92:Immigration to Australia.
- Apr 91 - Feb 92, Senior Research Fellow, Deputy Director (Science and Technology), Aerospace Research and Design Consultancy Company "MISHID" of the Russian-American Joint Venture "ELBE".
- Oct 89 - Mar 91, National Patent Expert (part-time) at the USSR National Scientific Technical Institute of State Patent Expertise, The State Committee on Inventions and Discoveries.
- Apr 88 - Mar 91, Senior Research Fellow and A/Prof (part time) at the Moscow "K.E.Tsiolkovsky" Institute of Aviation Technology (MATI) in Strength Structural Design and Vibrations, and Aircraft & Spacecraft Engineering.
- Dec 83 - Mar 88, Senior Researcher Fellow, Research Institute of Strength Problems (RISP), Ukrainian Academy of Sciences.
- Apr 81 - Dec 83, Research Fellow, Research Institute of Strength Problems (RISP), Ukrainian Academy of Sciences.
- Apr 80 - Mar 81, Researcher (Ukrainian Academy of Sciences Scholarship), Research Institute of Strength Problems (RISP).
- RMIT “Discovery Research Award-2003”.
- DSTO Australia/DARPA (USA) Research Contract “Mach 5/50” [2003-cur].
- ARC Discovery Grant-2003/04 “Remote Delivery and Capture of Payloads using Aerial Deployed Tethers”.
- RMIT PhD Supervisor of the Year 2000.Supervised 33 Postgraduate research students at RMIT (including 14 current, and 27 for which he is a Senior Supervisor).
- Japanese Government Award-2002 for Australia-Japan PhD exchange
- Associated Editor & Member of Editorial Board of the International Journal on Inverse Problems in Science & Engineering (IPSE).
- RMIT Representative at the Avalon Airshows (2003, 2001, 1999).
- Invited Lecture for the Royal Society of Victoria, Australia, Thursday, 13 July 2000.
- Instructor at the International Short Course “The State of the Art in Vibration-Based Structural Damage Identification“. Instructors: Dr.C.R.Farrar, Dr S.W.Doebling (Los Alamos Dynamics, USA) & Dr. P.M.Trivailo (RMIT).
- Member of The International Tethered Satellite Committee (Chaired by Prof H.Fujii, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Technology, Japan), 1998-cur
- Control of Complex Systems
Current main areas of research interest:
- Non-linear dynamic modelling of the Space Tethered Systems
- Dynamic and Control of Underwater and Aerial Towed Systems
- Smart structures, control systems design, vibrations, structural health monitoring and parameter identification in large flexible structures/systems
- Synthesis of Smart Engineering Control Systems for Industrial Applications
- Aircraft loads
- Non-linear co-rotational FE modelling of elastic systems
- Sport Dynamics
- Virtual Engineering Design
- Non-linear and linear aircraft flight dynamics, stability and automatic flight controls, spacecraft dynamics
- Design of aircraft and space mechanisms
- Dynamic stability and flow-induced vibration of complex gas(fluid)/structuresystems
- Smart Energy Sourcing From Structural Deformatio
- May 1991, Tenure Rank (Qualification) of Senior Research Fellow in Structural Dynamics and Strength of Apparatuses & Machines, the National Highest Accreditation Board at the Council of Ministers of the USSR.
- Dec.1980, PhD, Research Institute of Strength Problems of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences & Highest Accreditation Board of the USSR.
- Feb.1980, Master of Engineering Sciences from the Ukrainian National Polytechnical University (UNPU).
- Aug.1978, Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (First Class Honours) from the Ukrainian National Polytechnical University (UNPU)
Affiliations / Professional memberships
- 1994 – current, Member of The IEAust (Engineers, Australia), CPEng
- 1997 – 2002, Member of The International Institute of Acoustics and Vibration
- 2000 – 2003, Member of Royal Society of Victoria
- Head (1999-cur) and Research Task Manager (1996-current) for the DSTO Platforms Sciences Laboratory (Airframes and Engines Division) Centre of Expertise in Aerodynamic Loading (CoE-AL
- Project Leader for DSTO/DARPA “Mach 5/50“ Project at RMIT, 2003-cur;
- Project Leader for the DSTO (Maritime and Platforms Division) Research Project on Dynamic and Control of Uninhabited Underwater Vehicles (Minehunters), 2002-cur;
- Chief Investigator for the ARC Linkages Grants with Holden (1997-2003).
- Chief Investigator for the DSTO (Weapon Systems Division, Missile Systems Analysis Group) Research Project, 1992-1994
- Kojima, H.,Kunugi, K.,Trivailo, P. (2016). Cluster filtering/control of bending/torsional vibrations of a tape tether using smart-film sensors/actuators In: Acta Astronautica, 123, 213 - 226
- Kunugi, K.,Kojima, H.,Trivailo, P. (2015). Modeling of tape tether vibration and vibration sensing using smart film sensors In: Acta Astronautica, 107, 97 - 111
- Pogorilyi, O.,Trivailo, P.,Fard, M.,Nakhaie Jazar, G. (2015). Sensitivity analysis of piecewise linear vibration isolator with dual rate spring and damper In: Nonlinear Engineering, 4, 1 - 13
- Mohd Harithuddin, A.,Trivailo, P. (2015). Discovering Razi acceleration in multiple rotating coordinate frames system In: ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 10, 10007 - 10011
- Deivasigamani, A.,McCarthy, J.,John, S.,Watkins, S.,Trivailo, P.,Corman, F. (2014). Piezoelectric energy harvesting from wind using coupled bending-torsional vibrations In: Modern Applied Science, 8, 106 - 126
- Kojima, H.,Fukatsu, K.,Trivailo, P. (2014). Mission-function control of tethered satellite/climber system In: Acta Astronautica, 106, 24 - 32
- Halim, D.,Luo, X.,Trivailo, P. (2014). Decentralized vibration control of a multi-link flexible robotic manipulator using smart piezoelectric transducers In: Acta Astronautica, 104, 186 - 196
- Dorrington, G.,Baxter, G.,Bil, C.,Subic, A.,Trivailo, P. (2013). Prospects for liquefied natural gas and other alternative fuels for future civil air transportation In: Proceedings of the 15th Australian International Aerospace Congress (AIAC15), Melbourne, Australia, 25-28 February 2013
- Deivasigamani, A.,McCarthy, J.,John, S.,Watkins, S.,Trivailo, P.,Coman, F. (2013). Flutter of cantilevered interconnected beams with variable hinge positions In: Journal of Fluids and Structures, 38, 223 - 237
- McIntosh, P.,Subic, A.,Lee, K.,Clifton, P.,Trivailo, P.,Leary, M. (2012). An adaptable virtual engineering platform for distributed design based on open source game technology In: Advances in Engineering Software: including computing systems in engineering, 43, 71 - 86
- Non-Linear Dynamic Modelling, Optimal Design, Deployment and Control of Space Compound Systems (Multiple Cooperative Robotic Manipulators & Satellite Formations). Funded by: Australian Academy of Science from (2007 to 2007)
- Power Recycling and Management for Continuous Operations of AICW Bursting Munitions. Funded by: Defence Science and Technology Organisation Contract from (2004 to 2005)
- Remote Delivery and Capture of Payloads Using Aerial Deployed Tethers. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2003 from (2003 to 2005)
- Proposal For Development Of Advanced Cable Dynamic Model Based On Kanes Dynamic Equations. Funded by: DSTO Aeronautical & Maritime Research Labs Research Project from (2001 to 2002)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
14 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions3 PhD Current Supervisions
Vibrations, Dynamics, Guidance, Control and Optimisation of smart towed systems (space tethers, piloted and UAV/UUV aerial/underwater cable systems), large space structures, space flexible manipulators; Structural health monitoring; Space vehicle dynamics and trajectory optimisation; Control of satellite constellations; Aircraft flight dynamics and aerodynamic loading; NNs and GAs, Interactive dynamics simulations and animations in Virtual reality.