Dr Caroline van de Pol is a lecturer in Public Relations within the School of Media and Communication at RMIT. She coordinates a range of undergraduate courses across all year levels, including Public Relations Writing for the Media, Internship and Media Relations.
Caroline combines a background in journalism and public relations to provide insight into the role of the professional communicator in corporate, consultancy and not for profit environments. Caroline is a selection officer for the Bachelor of Communication (Public Relations) and assists in selection of international students in the undergraduate degree program.
Personal website: www.preciousfamilies.com
Caroline completed her PhD in Creative Writing at University of Wollongong. Her research is in memoir, the blurring of fact and fiction in life writing. She has been awarded the Varuna Publishers Fellowship and the LitLink Program.
Caroline has supervised a number of students in the Master of Communication and Honours programs, including research and coursework students. Caroline is a published author with her most recent publication being Handle With Care (2008). She is a freelance editor with the national design magazine Curve.
Recent exhibitions include the group exhibition, Writing Naked, at RMIT’s Field 36 Gallery.
Caroline is a registered research supervisor. Her current supervision is on memoir and others have included communication strategy, including the Australian Government’s National Drug Strategy.
- PhD (Creative Writing), University of Wollongong
- Master of Arts (Writing and Literature), Deakin University.
- Caroline is Vice President of Blind Sports Victoria, responsible for development and fundraising.
- Caroline is a member of the Public Relations Institute of Australia and a former councillor with the PRIA.
- Caroline coordinates the Internship program, a final year course in the degree that includes an industry placement of 160 hours.
- Guntarik, O.,Van de Pol, C.,Berry, M. (2015). Breaking with taboo: writing about forbidden things In: New Writing: The International Journal for the Practice and Theory of Creative Writing, 12, 4 - 13
- Van de Pol, C. (2011). Fictionalising real people In: Ethical Imaginations: Writing WorldsPapers - the refereed proceedings of the 16th conference of the Australasian Association of Writing Programs, 2011, Byron Bay, Australia, 23 - 25 November 2011
- Van de Pol, C. (2010). Blind truth: The reality effect in non-fiction In: The Strange Bedfellows or Perfect Partners Papers: the refereed proceedings of the 15th conference of the Australasian Association of Writing Programs, 2010, Melbourne, Australia, 25-27 November, 2010
1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions