Leslie is a Professor of Chemical Engineering, an Australian Research Council Future Fellow and Director of the Micro/Nanomedical Research Centre. He is also currently an Adjunct Senior Research Fellow in the Department of Physiology at Monash University’s Faculty of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences.
Accomplishments and achievements
- 2015: RMIT University Innovation Excellence Award – Awarded in recognition of demonstrated excellence by academics in bringing innovation to their research activity in the preceding five years
- 2013-2017: Future Fellowship Level 3 – Awarded by the Australian Research Council to outstanding Australian and international mid-career researchers to promote research in areas of critical national importance.
- 2010: Eureka Prize for Early Career Research Finalist – Awarded by the Australian Museum for outstanding achievements in Australian research & innovation, science leadership, school science and science journalism & communication
- 2009-2013: Australian Research Fellowship (ARF) – Awarded by the Australian Research Council to postdoctoral researchers of exceptional promise to undertake research in Australia of national and international significance
- 2009: Monash University Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Research by an Early Career Researcher – Awarded in recognition of research excellence by an early career researcher within ten years of the start of their research careers
- 2009: Monash University Faculty of Engineering Early Career Researcher Award – Awarded in recognition of research excellence by an early career researcher within ten years of the start of their research careers
- 2008: Eureka Prize People’s Choice Award Finalist – Awarded by the Australian Museum for outstanding achievements in Australian science and science promotion/communication
- 2007: Young Tall Poppy Science Award – Awarded by the Australian Institute of Policy & Science in recognition of the achievements of outstanding young researchers in science
- 2007: Fresh Science Finalist – For new and interesting research being done by early-career scientists in Australia
- 2002: Dudley Newitt Prize - Awarded by Imperial College London for theoretical/computational PhD thesis of outstanding merit
- 1999-2001: University of London Knight Studentship in Science & Engineering – Awarded by the University of London for support of doctoral studies
- 1998-2001: Overseas Research Scholarship (ORS) – Awarded by the UK Committee of Vice Chancellors and Principals for support of doctoral studies
- 2000: Society of Chemical Industry Messel Fund Bursary – Travel subsidy to the International Symposium on Multi-Phase Flow and Transport Phenomena in Antalya, Turkey
- 1999: Imperial College London Beit Fellowship (declined in lieu of Knight Studentship) – Awarded by Imperial College London in support of doctoral studies
- 1998: Henry Sawistowski Travel Fellowship – Awarded by Imperial College London in recognition of best undergraduate industrial link and research project
Selected Media Releases
- Hybrid Sound Wave a ‘Game-Changer’ for Vaccines and Nebulisers. The Australian, 7 January 2016.
- A Sound Idea for Treating Lung Disease. Chemistry World, 8 December 2015 (Royal Society of Chemistry).
- Micro-motor Developed to Treat Strokes. ABC News, 24 July 2012 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation).
- Delivering Medicines, ABC Catalyst (Special Edition: Little Wonders – Medical Nanotechnology), Broadcast date: 25 August 2011 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation).
- Microfluidics Streamlines Laboratory Operations, SPIE (International Society for Optical Engineering) Newsroom, 7 December 2010.
- Sound-Blasting Chips for On-the-Spot Forensics, New Scientist, 24 May 2010.
- Jet Stream, Nature Research Highlights 23 July 2009, Nature 460, 439 (2009).
- Squirting Water Without a Gun, Physical Review Focus, 13 July 2009 (American Physical Society).
- Physics of Pizza Tossing for Micro-Motors, Europhysics News, Vol 40, No 4, July-August 2009 (European Physical Society).
- Earthquake on a Wafer Could Boost Asthma Relief, New Scientist, 28 May 2009.
- Drug Delivery’s a Blast, Chemical Technology, 15 May 2009 (Royal Society of Chemistry).
- If Research is Your Cup of Tea, this Eureka Moment will Stir the Blood, The Age, 16 August 2008.
- Eureka Prize People’s Choice Award, ABC Catalyst, Broadcast date: 14 August 2008 (Australian Broadcasting Corporation).
- Personal Website: http://www.leslieyeo.net
Leslie’s current research interests are in acoustically and electrokinetically driven microfluidics for engineering and biological applications such as drug delivery and nanomedicine, point-of-care diagnostics, tissue engineering and biosensor technology.
- 2002: PhD (Chemical Engineering), DIC – Imperial College London
- 1998: MEng (Chemical Engineering), ACGI – Imperial College London
- Editor, Biomicrofluidics (American Institute of Physics)
- Editorial Board Member, Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group)
- Editorial Board Member, Interfacial Phenomena & Heat Transfer (Begell House)
- Research Evaluation Committee Member – Australian Research Council Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2015
- Assistant Chair – National Health & Medical Research Council Grant Review Panel (2014)
- Technical Review Panel Member – Science & Engineering Research Council, Agency for Science, Technology & Research Singapore (A*STAR) (2014)
- Alhasan, L.,Qi, A.,Rezk, A.,Yeo, L.,Chan, P. (2016). Assessment of the potential of a high frequency acoustomicrofluidic nebulisation platform for inhaled stem cell therapy In: Integrative Biology (United Kingdom), 8, 12 - 20
- Rezk, A.,Tan, J.,Yeo, L. (2016). HYbriD Resonant Acoustics (HYDRA) In: Advanced materials, 28, 1970 - 1975
- Rezk, A.,Carey, B.,Chrimes, A.,Lau, D.,Gibson, B.,Zheng, C.,Fuhrer, M.,Yeo, L.,Kalantar Zadeh, K. (2016). Acoustically-driven trion and exciton modulation in piezoelectric two-dimensional MoS2 In: Nano Letters, 16, 849 - 855
- Wang, Y.,Rezk, A.,Khara, J.,Yeo, L.,Ee, P. (2016). Stability and efficacy of synthetic cationic antimicrobial peptides nebulized using high frequency acoustic waves In: Biomicrofluidics, 10, 1 - 10
- Ramesan, S.,Rezk, A.,Cheng, K.,Chan, P.,Yeo, L. (2016). Acoustically-driven thread-based tuneable gradient generators In: Lab on a Chip, 16, 2820 - 2828
- Ang, K.,Yeo, L.,Hung, Y.,Tan, M. (2016). Amplitude modulation schemes for enhancing acoustically-driven microcentrifugation and micromixing In: Biomicrofluidics, 10, 1 - 15
- Oliveira Almeida Camara Castro, J.,Marin Neves, B.,Rezk, A.,Eshtiaghi, N.,Yeo, L. (2016). Continuous production of Janus and composite liquid marbles with tunable coverage In: ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 8, 17751 - 17756
- Ang, K.,Yeo, L.,Hung, Y.,Tan, M. (2016). Graphene-mediated microfluidic transport and nebulization: Via high frequency Rayleigh wave substrate excitation In: Lab on a Chip - Miniaturisation for Chemistry and Biology, 16, 3503 - 3514
- Yudistira, D.,Boes, A.,Graczykowski, B.,Alzina, F.,Yeo, L.,Sotomayor Torres, C.,Mitchell, A. (2016). Nanoscale pillar hypersonic surface phononic crystals In: Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, 94, 1 - 6
- Yudistira, D.,Boes, A.,Dumas, B.,Rezk, A.,Yousefi, M.,Djafari-Rouhani, B.,Yeo, L.,Mitchell, A. (2016). Phonon-polariton entrapment in homogenous surface phonon cavities In: Annalen der Physik, 528, 365 - 372
- Prototype Nebuliser Development Using a Novel Medical Aerosol Generator. Funded by: Department of Industry, Innovation and Science - Accelerating Commercialisation Grant 2017 from (2017 to 2018)
- Novel Intranasal Delivery Platform for Treating Neurodegenerative Diseases. Funded by: Business Victoria: Victoria-Israel Feasibility and Proof of Concept (VISFPC) Grant 2016 from (2017 to 2018)
- JLABS World Without Disease Quickfire Challenge (QFC). Funded by: Janssen Research and Development Grant 2016 from (2016 to )
- Low Temperature Co-fired Ceramic Device Fabrication Facility . Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) 2016 from (2016 to 2016)
- Low-Cost Portable Inhalation Therapy Platform for Needle-Free DNA-Based Influenza Vaccination. Funded by: National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Development Grant 2015 from (2016 to 2017)
1 PhD Completions10 PhD Current Supervisions