Senior Lecturer in Construction Management, School of Civil, Environmental and Chemical Engineering, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia (May 2008 – Present)
- 2nd year coordinator of BP198 Bachelor of Engineering (Civil and Infrastructure);
- Coordinator and Lecturer in CIVE1149 Construction Management, CIVE1194 Construction Engineering, CIVE1175 Engineering Economics and Project Evaluation, CIVE1165 Infrastructure Planning and Evaluation.
Lecturer in Project Management, School of Architectural, Civil and Mechanical Engineering, Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia (January 2006 – April 2008)
- Coordinator of Project Management courses and lecturing in postgraduate subjects: VCP5726 Project Procurement Management, VCP5716 Project Development Analysis, VCP5726 Building Regulatory Management, VPP5621 Project Risk Management, and VPP5630 Research Methods
- Coordinating and/or lecturing in undergraduate subjects: VAN4051 Engineering Project Management, VAC2022 Building Materials and Construction, VAN2061 Engineering Materials, and VAN4011 Engineering Projects
- Senior Member of the Project Management Course Rationalization Committee:
- Coordinate the redevelopment of the project management courses at Victoria University;
- Developing the new project management course curriculum; and
- Seeking for approval from the university course approval committee.
Lecturer (Sessional), Building Construction Management Program in the School of Built Environment, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (Semester 2, 2005)
- Undergraduate subject: BLDG4275 Dispute Resolution and Avoidance
Lecturer (Sessional), School of Construction Management and Property, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia (2002-2004)
- Undergraduate subject: CNB107 Construction 2
Lecturer, Faculty of Construction Management and Real Estate, Chongqing University, Chongqing, P.R. China (2000-2001)
- Undergraduate subject: Cost Planning and Control
Lecturer (Sessional) in Postgraduate Program in Project Management Jointly provided by the Faculty of Construction Management and Real Estate, Chongqing University, and the Department of Building and Real Estate, Hong Kong Polytechnic University (1999-2000)
- Cost Control
- Project Management
Associate, Institute for Sustainability and Innovation, Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia (2006 - 2008). Working on two smart water fund projects with Professor Stephen Gray and Dr Nicholas Milne.
Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Faculty of the Built Environment, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (2005 - 2006). Working on a Faculty funded project PS07127 “Risk Management Practice for Construction Projects in Australia”.
Post-Doctoral Research Associate, the Cooperative Research Centre for Construction Innovation (CRC-CI), Brisbane, Australia (late 2004 to 2005). Working on CRC-CI 2003-026C “Delivering a Re-life Project”, Industrial Partners: John Holland Group, Department of Public Works, Queensland Government
Research Assistant, Faculty of Construction Management and Real Estate, Chongqing University, P.R. China, (September 1998 to October 2001). Working on four governmental funded research projects
Research interest and current focuses
The application of cutting-edge project and construction management techniques in delivering a sustainable built environment, and specifically includes the following aspects:
- Project Management
- Project Risk Management and Decision Making – identifying risks associated with construction projects, using qualitative and quantitative methods to assess these risks, finding effective strategies to manage these risks, and establishing rational decision makings.
- Contract and Procurement – selecting optimal contract types to facilitate the delivery of construction projects, particularly using Public Private Partnerships and Project Alliance.
- Constructability – integrating construction knowledge in the project delivery process and balancing various the project and environmental constraints to achieve project goals and building performance at an optimal level.
- Climate Change and Adaptation Responses for Built Environment
- Carbon Neutral Construction - seeking for efforts and innovations which minimize the greenhouse gas emission in the construction process and support sustainable construction and environment.
- Management of Infrastructure and Pubic Assets – exploring impacts of climate change on infrastructure and adaptation responses, developing lifecycle management and diagnosis tools for infrastructure and public assets.
- Sustainable Built Environment
- Green Building – implementing green building technologies in commercial and office buildings to enhance the workplace flexibility, ergonomics and productivity and reduce the project life cycle cost.
- Refurbishment/Re-life of Buildings – managing sustainable refurbishment of commercial buildings and heritage buildings.
- Sustainable infrastructure management – investigating a sustainable delivery of critical infrastructure such as road, identifying major issues related to the use of recycled water and developing appropriate strategy to encourage the use of recycled water in the industry and community.
- PhD in Construction Management, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
- Master of Management (Construction Economics and Management), Chongqing University, P.R. China
- Bachelor of Engineering (1stclass Honours) in Construction Equipment and Engineering, Chongqing University, P.R. China
Consultant (Casual), F. Perry and Associates Town Planning (2008).
Project/Course Coordinator, working with around 40 guest lecturers from local industry to delivery the real-world Project Management courses at Victoria University (2006- April 2008)
Consultant (Casual), Thinc Project Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia (2006).
Consultant, Project Management Application Portfolio, Faculty of Built Environment and Engineering, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia (January - July 2005)
Project Manager,Futian Real Estate Development Pty Ltd, Nanping District, Chongqing, P.R. China (May 1999 - September 2001)
Project Consultant (Part-time), Kangsheng Project Development and Supervision Pty Ltd, Shapingba District, Chongqing, P.R. China (September 1998 to October 2001)
Program Interpreter (Casual), Department of Public Works, Queensland Government, Queensland, Australia (2002-2003)
Site Engineer, Wuhan Construction Group Ltd, Wuhan, Hubei, P.R. China (January - September in 1998)
Practical Trainee, Liuzhou Construction Mechanism Ltd, Guangxi, P.R. China (June - July 1997)
- Since 2007, Incorporated Member of CIOB
- Since 2008, Education Board Member of CIOB Australasia
- Since 2007, Member of the Knowledge and Research Council, AIPM
- Since 2006, Member of AIPM
- Since 2006, Member of the Chinese Research Institute of Construction Management (CRIOCM)
Refereeing work for technical journals
- Since 2006, Construction Management and Economics
- Since 2007, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management
- Since 2007, International Journal of Construction Management
- Shi, L.,Zhang, G. (2016). An empirical model to predict the performance of typical solar chimneys considering both room and cavity configurations In: Building and environment, 103, 250 - 261
- Sandanayake, M.,Zhang, G.,Setunge, S.,Li, C.,Fang, J. (2016). Models and method for estimation and comparison of direct emissions in building construction in Australia and a case study In: Energy and Buildings, 126, 128 - 138
- Jayasuriya, W.,Zhang, G.,Yang, R. (2016). Emerging issues related to stakeholder management in PPP projects: An Australia study In: Proceedings of Pacific Association of Quantity Surveyors Congress 2016, Christchurch, New Zealand, 20-24 May 2016
- Jayasuriya, W.,Zhang, G.,Yang, R. (2016). Emerging issues of stakeholder management in PPP projects and improvement measures: An Australian study In: Proceedings of the 20th CIB World Building Congress 2016: Volume V - Advancing products and services, Tampere, Finland, 30 May 30 - 3 June 2016
- Li, C.,Zhang, G.,Hosseinian, S. (2016). A fast and accurate method to predict reliability of project completion time In: Journal of Civil Engineering and Management, , 1 - 10
- Islam, H.,Zhang, G.,Setunge, S.,Bhuiyan, M. (2016). Life cycle assessment of shipping container home: a sustainable construction In: Energy and Buildings, , 1 - 23
- Jayasuriya, W.,Zhang, G.,Yang, R. (2016). Strategies for successful stakeholder analysis and stakeholder engagement in PPP projects In: Proceedings of the 40th Australasian Universities Building Education Association Conference (AUBEA 2016), Cairns, Australia, 6-8 July 2016
- Shi, L.,Zhang, G.,Cheng, X.,Guo, Y.,Wang, J.,Chew, M. (2016). Developing an empirical model for roof solar chimney based on experimental data from various test rigs In: Building and Environment, 110, 115 - 128
- Sandanayake, M.,Zhang, G.,Setunge, S.,Li, C. (2016). Environmental emissions in building construction: Two case studies of conventional and pre-fabricated construction methods in Australia In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Sustainable Construction Materials and Technologies (SCMT4), Las Vegas, United States of America, 7-11 August 2016
- Sandanayake, M.,Yenduri, A.,Indira, P.,Zhang, G. (2016). Structural performances of self-curing concrete using recycled coarse aggregate - A comparative study In: Indian Concrete Journal, 90, 19 - 26
- Enhancing the resilience of seaports to a changing climate. Funded by: Climate Change Adaptation Research Grant Pre-2014 from (2010 to 2012)
- A reliability based approach for sustainable management of community buildings. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2009 Round 2 from (2009 to 2013)
11 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions and 3 Masters by Research Completions