Professor Christopher Ziguras is Deputy Dean, International, in RMIT's School of Global, Urban and Social Studies.
Professor Ziguras is a leading authority on the social, economic and political dimensions of the internationalisation of education. This interest is carried across his higher education leadership and management roles at RMIT, his prominent research on cross-border higher education, his teaching in international development and public policy, and his active public engagement.
Accomplishments and achievements
- Tony Adams Visiting Senior Scholar, Centre for Higher Education Internationalisation, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan, 2013.
- RMIT University Vice-Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award, 2011, in recognition of sustained commitment to excellence in international education, through exemplary teaching practice, academic leadership and research.
- RMIT University College of Design and Social Context Award for Research and Teaching, 2011.
- Monash University Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2000–2001.
- Australian Teachers of Media (ATOM) Award for Best Educational Resource, 1998. Awarded to Court Stories, a 20-minute educational video program written with film production company Screen Productions for Victoria Legal Aid, Human Services Victoria and the Justice Department.
- US International Film and Video Festival Awards, Silver Screen Award – Visitors’ Centres and Museums, 1998, awarded to Mildura – Reflections, Echoes, Dreams, a 10-minute video program written with media production company Australian Business Theatre for the Mildura Rural and City Council.
- Australian Postgraduate Research (Priority) Award, Monash University, 1993-1996.
- Dwight Final Examination Prize for Combined Honours, University of Melbourne, 1992.
Profile on social media
Chris studies varied aspects of the globalisation of education, particularly the ways in governments and institutions manage flows of students, institutions and models across borders.
As Deputy Dean, International, he develops and oversees an extensive array of learning experiences in Australia and abroad that reflect RMIT's commitment to internationalism, praxis-based learning, and meaningful partnerships with similarly-minded organisations.
Professor Ziguras is President of the International Education Association of Australia.
Major research projects
- ‘Equitable employment for women in mining companies in Laos and Thailand’, AusAID Development Research Award, Australian Agency for International Development, 2013-2015.
- ‘Good Practice in Enhancing the Social Dimension of International Student Experience On and Off Campus’, Australian Education International and ISANA International Education Association Research Consultancy, 2010-2011.
- ‘Export Education Innovation – Offshore regulations’, Education New Zealand Research Consultancy, 2008-2009.
- ‘Models and Guidelines for Good Practice in Transnational Education in New Zealand’, Education New Zealand Research Consultancy, 2007.
- ‘Governing International Trade in Higher Education: A Comparative Study of International Education Policy Development’, Australian Research Council Discovery Project, 2005–2007, with Dr Grant McBurnie.
- ‘Australian perspectives on the meaning of key terms for trade in education services’, Research Consultancy for the Commonwealth Department of Education, Science and Training, 2005.
- ‘Debating the Impact of International Trade Agreements on Transnational Higher Education’, Australian Research Council Discovery Project, 2003, with Dr Grant McBurnie.
- ‘Strategies for Negotiating International Trade Agreements in Education’, Research Consultancy for the Commonwealth Department of Education, Science and Training, 2002, with Dr Grant McBurnie and Dr Leanne Reinke.
- ‘Review of the Health Benefits of Community Arts Programs’, Victorian Health Promotion Foundation Research Consultancy, 2002, with Professor Paul James and Douglas McQueen Thomson.
- ‘Investigating the potential of touch screens in early childhood education’, Microtouch Australia Research Consultancy, 2001, with Dr Geoff Romeo, Suzy Edwards, Dr Sue McNamara and Dr Ian Walker.
Current doctoral students' topics
- Recruitment and Retention of Teachers in Rural Schools in Vietnam
- Implementation of Student Centred Learning in Transnational Programs
- Work Experiences by Doctoral Students in Victoria, Australia
Completed research higher degrees
- Pham, A, 2015 The Contribution of Cross-Border Higher Education to Human Resource Development in Ho Chi Minh City, PhD, School of Global, Urban and Social Studies, RMIT University.
- Spencer, J 2014 Policy, Business and ICT: A Study of the Growth and Decline of Private Vocational Training Providers in the Education/Migration Industry in Australia, PhD, School of Global, Urban and Social Studies, RMIT University.
- Lynch, K, 2014, Australian Universities' Preparation and Support for Fly-in Fly-out Academics, PhD Thesis, School of Global, Urban and Social Studies, RMIT University.
- Loh, R, 2013, Private Higher Education in Malaysia: Access, Internationalisation and Quality Assurance, Master of Arts by Research, School of Global, Urban and Social Studies, RMIT University.
- Vann, M, 2013, Stakeholders' Perceptions of Quality in Cambodian Higher Education, PhD Thesis, School of Global, Urban and Social Studies, RMIT University.
- Scarf, C, 2010, Knowledge sharing for development: online networks and the dual dynamics of inclusion and exclusion, PhD Thesis, School of Global Studies, Social Sciences and Planning, RMIT University.
- Tripolitakis, K, 2010, Network governance and public policy: language planning and language policy in Australia and Greece within a globalising context (1970-2005), PhD Thesis, School of Global Studies, Social Science and Planning, RMIT University.
- Gribble, C, 2010, International student mobility and skilled migration: an analysis of government policy from the perspective of sending countries, PhD, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, University of Melbourne.
- PhD Monash
- GradCertHighEd Monash
- BArts(Hons) Melbourne
Chris is President of the International Education Association of Australia (IEAA) and and has been an energetic contributor to the Association for many years through roles in the Association's Research Committee and Board before becoming Vice-President in 2014 and President in 2015. He has is regularly involved in organising research and professional development workshops and conferences on varied aspects of international education.
Chris regularly writes for industry publications and judges awards programs including those of the IEAA, the Victorian Government and the Australia - APEC Women in Research Fellowship. He is also a member of the Oceania Comparative and International Education Society, the Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia and the Asia Pacific Association for International Education.
- Ziguras, C.,Pham, A.,Chantarin, S. (2017). International influences on Vietnamese higher education: French and Soviet legacies meet contemporary globalism In: Higher Education in the Asian Century, Routledge, United Kingdom
- Ziguras, C. (2015). Governing Cross-Border Higher Education, Routledge, New York, United States
- Ziguras, C.,Gribble, C. (2015). Policy responses to address student "brain drain": An assessment of measures intended to reduce the emigration of Singaporean international students In: Journal of Studies in International Education, 19, 246 - 264
- Ziguras, C.,Pham, A. (2014). Assessing participation in cross-border higher education in cities: Foreign education provision in Ho Chi Minh City In: Asia Pacific Viewpoint, 55, 169 - 181
- Pimpa, N.,Ziguras, C.,Moore, T.,Tenni, B. (2013). International mining and development: lesson learnt from Mekong In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Sciences and Social Sciences 2013: Research and Development for Sustainable Life Quality, Maha Sarakham, Thailand, July 18-19, 2013
- Ziguras, C. (2013). Offshoring higher education: the Australian experience In: The Oxford Handbook of Offshoring and Global Employment, Oxford University Press, New York, United States
- Ziguras, C. (2012). Learning the hard way: Lessons from Australia's decade of innovation in student migration policy In: Mobility and Migration in Asian Pacific Higher Education, Palgrave Macmillan, New York, USA
- Marginson, S.,Kemp, N.,McMillen, C.,Adams, J.,Murray, D.,Ilieva, J.,Ziguras, C.,Lawton, W.,Heath, A.,Malicki, R.,Marlin, C. (2012). Beyond Competition: Policy dialogue on cooperation between the UK and Australia in international higher education In: International Education Association of Australia Melbourne, Australia
- McBurnie, G.,Ziguras, C. (2011). Global Trends in Quality Assurance for Transnational Education In: Quality Assurance in Transnational Education in Higher Education: Experiences of Australia and India Melbourne, Australia
- Clayton, D.,Ziguras, C. (2011). Transnational education: delivering quality Australian programs offshore In: Making a Difference: Australian International Education, University of New South Wales Press, Australia
- Equitable employment for women in mining companies in Laos and Thailand. Funded by: AusAID Development Research Awards Scheme pre-2014 from (2013 to 2015)
- Governing International Trade in Higher Education: A Comparative Study of International Education Policy Development. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2005 from (2005 to 2009)
- Sources of Insecurity: Local, National and Global. Funded by: ARC Research Initiatives Seed Funding Grant pre-2014 from (2004 to 2005)
- Debating the Impact of International Trade Agreements on Transnational Higher Education: A Comparitive Study of Australia, Malaysia, Canada and Greece. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2003 from (2003 to 2004)
- Responding to the Impacts of Globalisation on Social Connectedness in Victorian Communities. Funded by: VicHealth - Competitive from (2003 to 2004)
11 PhD Completions and 3 Masters by Research Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions