We provide surveying programs from traineeships through to the advanced diploma. Students use the latest equipment and software, and there is a strong focus on field training and practical experience.
Thierry Demathieu (Program Manager) and Cael Blizzard (Student) talk about the experience of studying surveying at RMIT. They are featured talking to camera interspersed with scenes of students in workshops and other learning environments. Upbeat music plays throughout.
RMIT University presents
Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma
Thierry Demathieu (Program Manager): Surveying is a science of measurement.
You measure the land and draw a plan so the architect can design a house or the civil engineer can design a road.
RMIT is the only provider of the surveying programs in Victoria.
RMIT invested a lot of resources into getting really precise instruments and the latest software so we can simulate a workplace environment.
Cael Blizzard (Student): I chose RMIT because of the equipment and facilities they've got.
Trimble is the latest software at RMIT campus.
The computers and technology's far above everywhere else.
The teaching style is quite good. There's a lot of one on one time.
Thierry Demathieu: We always have a mix of practical and office work.
As you can see, the student there are outside. It's a beautiful day.
The sun is out, and it's like simulating a workplace environment.
Cael Blizzard: RMIT have a heavy focus on the field days.
Not just learning the theory behind it, but actually learning to use equipment gives you a great field knowledge of what the senior surveyor requires.
Studying at RMIT, the surveying course diploma, definitely helped me get into the industry.
Career aspirations would be large scale surveying, to engineering surveying tunnels, mines, large buildings above three stories, roads, and highways.
I'm pretty happy on how I'm tracking towards that goal.
Thierry Demathieu: Everyone can study the diploma.
We don't have prerequisites to get into surveying diploma.
It's really just giving the opportunity to anyone to actually go and experience surveying in the field and in the office.
It's just a really nice way to just spend a career.
RMIT University logo
This video features the song Lifting you up available under a royalty free license.
RTO code 3046
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2016 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for permission.