RMIT University alumnus, Claire Knauth, talks about her role as a geographical information system analyst with a leading mobile and spatial technology company in Melbourne.
This video is narrated by Claire Knauth over scenes of her conducting surveying activity around the City of Melbourne, using geospatial software and talking with colleagues at her workplace. Upbeat music plays throughout.
RMIT University presents
I studied geospatial science at RMIT.
It's all about geography and location, measuring, mapping and modelling and it involves a range of disciplines including surveying cartography and design.
At RMIT I got lots of experience using mapping and design software and completed an industry placement.
I've just started my career as a geographical systems analyst working closely with a team to analyse spatial data. A typical day for me is working on geo database layers using specialised software.
I really enjoy working on the data and figuring out how things are connected.
I also enjoy the creative side of making a map, choosing colours so the map looks good and seeing how it all fits together.
I'm excited to see where the future takes geospatial science as it moves further into 3D.
From the technical to the creative there's lots to like.
Geospatial science is the understanding of where things are and how they're connected.
You need to have a love for maps and an ability to think spatially to succeed and it definitely helps to have a passion for the physical world.
RMIT University logo
This video features the song Inspiring Team used under a royalty free license.
CRICOS provider number 00122A
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2016 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact email@example.com for permission.