Computer science researcher Professor Mark Sanderson talks about his information retrieval research at RMIT.
Professor Mark Sanderson is head of the Information Retrieval group at RMIT University (in the School of Computer Science and IT) in Melbourne, Australia. His particular research interests include: evaluation of search engines, geographic search, cross language IR (CLIR), summarisation, image retrieval by captions, word sense ambiguity.??
The video features Professor Mark Sanderson walking in different areas of the campus and working in his office while he narrates over the on screen activity. Upbeat music plays throughout.
Duration: 43 seconds
Professor Mark Sanderson
School of Computer Science and IT
RMIT is clearly going places. There's building happening all the time.
With the university growing, it's great to be part of that.
I've been very lucky. I published a lot and been very successful back in Europe, including getting a three million Euro grant for a system to automatically caption photographs.
Research is my passion. There's so much going on in social media and big data at the moment.
With the world of information retrieval, it's very busy.
We're working with organisations to make search engines more accurate and effective based on our understanding of how users interact.
With the people we've got at RMIT, and the directions that we're following, we're perfectly placed to play a leading role in future developments.
RMIT University logo
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.
Copyright © 2012 RMIT University. All rights reserved.
Conditions of use
This item is available to RMIT University staff for official RMIT educational or promotional purposes. All uses outside of official educational or promotional purposes must be used with permission. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for permission.