RMIT researchers are collaborating with local governments and residents in cities around the world to find solutions for the issues and challenges associated with living in urban environments.
Who is making an impact?
- The Global Cities Research Institute addresses questions of sustainability, resilience, security and adaptation in the face of globalisation and global climate change.
- The Design Research Institute investigates aspects of the future city including the physical, spatial, systems, communications, cultural experience, and the role of technology in mediating the experience of the urban environment.
- The Centre for Applied Social Research undertakes research and promotes public debate on key areas of social change and social policy, working with community organisations, government departments, local governments and the union movement.
- The Centre for Design and Society, located in the School of Architecture and Design, is a research centre dedicated to engaging with the challenges posed by sustainability from a design perspective.
- The Centre for Global Research investigates the processes of change and continuity, and cultural-political questions about sustainable living in a globalising world.
- The Centre for Innovative Structures and Materials develops structural optimisation techniques to design innovative buildings and bridges, and to create new microstructures of materials and composites.
- The Centre for Sustainable Organisations and Work examines regions in the midst of social, environmental and economic transition to assist industry, government, workers and communities manage the impact of these changes.
- The Centre for Urban Research conducts research on housing and homelessness, urban and regional planning, and sustainability and climate change.
- The Water: Effective Technologies and Tools Research Centre is developing means for the sustainable provision of clean safe water, particularly for cities.
- The Centre for Art, Society and Transformation researches the transformative capacities of art to interpret, contribute to, and affect the quality and character of communities in the age of rapid urbanisation and globalisation.
- The ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation conducts fundamental and applied research that improves our understanding of the creative sector’s role in a modern economy.
- The Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute specialises in housing and urban planning policy with emphasis on the role of housing in the economic, social and environmental sustainability of cities and regions.
- The Bushfires Cooperative Research Centre conducts research in understanding and managing the risk of bushfires.
- The Smart Services Cooperative Research Centre research projects address challenges across the areas of customer service needs, ecosystems for service delivery and services of the future.
- RMIT is a partner of UN Habitat and the UN Global Compact Cities Program.