Social Work, Community and Human Services at RMIT
Social work, community and human services professions incorporate a number of different activities all of which seek to redress social inequality and injustice. While some help formulate and implement social policies, participate in social research, manage programs or assist community groups to develop services, others provide personal services to individuals, families and small groups. These services include counselling, conflict management and crisis work.
We are particularly concerned with the experience of marginalisation, poverty and oppression and seek to understand how social divisions such as class, gender, cultural diversity, sexual preference, mental health, ability and disability and age influence the experiences of people.
Our programs are designed with partner organisations to enhance the effectiveness of learning for individuals and employers, and to provide for life-long learning as new training needs are identified.
Got a question? Current students of RMIT Social Work programs can fill out the Social Work enquiry form.
Programs and courses
- Certificate I in Transition Education
- Certificate I in Work Education
- Certificate III in Aged Care
- Certificate III in Home and Community Care / FAQ (PDF 76 KB)
- Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Certificate IV in Disability
- Diploma of Community Development / Information brochure (PDF 53 KB)
- Diploma of Community Services (Alcohol, Other Drugs and Mental Health)
- Diploma of Community Services Work
- Advanced Diploma of Disability
- Bachelor of Social Work (Honours)
- Bachelor of Social Work (Honours)/Bachelor of Social Science (Psychology) / FAQ (PDF 144 KB)
Postgraduate by coursework
- Vocational Graduate Certificate in Community Services Practice (Client assessment & case management)
- Vocational Graduate Diploma of Community Sector Management
- Master of Social Work
- Master of Public Policy
Postgraduate by research
- Master of Social Science (Global, Urban & Social Studies)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Global, Urban & Social Studies)