Dr Graham Dorrington
Aerosp Mech & Manuf Eng
+61 3 9925 6150
Science, Engineering & Health
Bundoora East campus
- Teaching and coordinating this semester:
- AERO2360 Aerospace Propulsion
- AERO2366, Aerospace Group Project (Critical Design)
- AERO2423, Aerospace Special Project (UFAV).
- Supervising individual 4th year projects.
- Ph.D., University of Cambridge, UK (1989)
Previous employment with: European Space Agency (ESA-ESTEC) Noordwijk (the Netherlands); RAE Farnborough and Bedford (UK), British Aerospace (Space and Communications. Div); British Aerospace Aircraft Division (Chester and Hatfield UK); Monarch Airlines (UK); Hamilton Airship Company (South Africa); Southampton University (UK); Queen Mary, University of London (UK).
Formerly: Alexander von Humboldt Fellow, ESA Research Fellow
Designed, built and flew two ultra-light (battery-electric motor powered) airships over tropical rain forest, Sabah (1995), Guyana (2004), see project website below.
Main present research interests: lighter-than-air aircraft technology and flight (performance) analysis; aerospace propulsion systems.
Emerging interests: aerobiology, biological flight.
I am interested in supervising PhD students in all areas of aerospace design, flight performance analysis and flight dynamics, including natural flight and bio-inspired systems.
Current awards: AMSI Aerochute Pty Ltd project to develop alternative powered parawing-trike.
Other research-related project websites: Dendronautics
- Dorrington, G. E. (2012) “Venus Atmospheric Platform Options Reconsidered”, International Planetary Probe Workshop, IPPW-9, Toulouse, France, June 2012
- Dorrington, G.E. and Lorenz R. D. (2012) “Buoyancy Estimation of Titan Aerostat”, International Planetary Probe Workshop, IPPW-9, Toulouse, France, June 2012
- Dorrington, G.E. (2011) “Concept options for the aerial survey of Titan” Adv. Space Res. 47, 1-19.
- Dorrington, G. E. (2011) “Comment on Computational Modeling and Experiments of Natural Convection for a Titan Montgolfiere”, AIAA J. 49 (4), 877-878, April 2011
- Moss, J.B., Dorrington, G.E. (2011) “Launch Vehicles”, Chapter 7 in Spacecraft Systems Engineering, 4th ed. Fortescue P. et al. Wiley.
- Wen P.H and Dorrington G.E. (2010) “Simple Method to Predict Balloon Shape”,Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, G8, 224, 897-904.
- Dorrington, G.E. (2010) “Venus Atmospheric Platform Options Revisited”, Adv. Space Res., 46, 310-326, 2010.
- Dorrington, G.E. (2010) “Comment on Linear Theory of Optimum Hot Air Balloon Performance – Application to Titan” Aeronautical J. 114 (1161), 698, November 2010.
- Dorrington G.E. and McIntyre J.(2008) “Performance of Battery Powered Aircraft”, Royal Aeronautical Society General Aviation Conference: Alternative Energy and Other New Developments, Cambridge, 27-28 Sept. 2008.
- Dorrington G.E. (2008), “Use of Helium-Filled Dirigibles for Scientific Exploration of Rain Forest Canopy”. Paper 71186, 7th International Airship Convention, Friedrichshafen, 9-11 October 2008.
- Dorrington G.E. (2007) “Performance of Battery Powered Airships” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers,J. of Aerospace Engineering, G1, 221, pp. 91-104. (Awarded Best I. Mech. E. Paper in Aerospace, 2007)
- Dorrington G.E. (2007) “Performance of Airships Operating in the Neutral Buoyancy Condition”, The Aeronautical Journal, 111, 1116, pp. 89-103.
- Dorrington, G.E. (2006) “Drag of a Spheroid-Cone Shaped Airship”, J. Aircraft, 43(2), 363-371.
- Dorrington G.E. (2005) “Development of an Airship for Rain Forest Canopy Exploration” The Aeronautical Journal, 109, No. 1098, 361-372.
- Dorrington, G.E. (2004) “Exploitation D’un Dirigeable Ultra-Léger Sur Une Forêt Tropicale”, in Faure E. (ed.), “L’Aerostation Scientifique”, Univ. Provence, 2004, ISBN 2-85399-572-0, pp. 139-157 (in French).
- Dorrington, G.E. (2003) “Rationale for Supersonic After-Burning Rocket Engines”, J. Spacecraft and Rockets, 40, No. 2, March-April, pp. 301-303.
- Dorrington, G.E. (2000) “Propulsive Efficiency of External Burning”, J.Spacecraft and Rockets, 37, No. 1, pp. 144-146.
- Dorrington, G.E. (1990) “Performance Analysis of Single-Stage-to-Orbit Vehicles”, Acta Astronautica, 22, pp. 17-41.
- Dorrington, G.E. (1989) “Simple Relations for Analysis of Air-Breathing Launch Vehicles”, J. Spacecraft and Rockets, 26, No. 2, pp. 124-126.
Dendronautics – Exploration of the rain forest canopy using airships and other methods
Antique Farm Tools – A collection by Peter Charles Dorrington
Graham Dorrington has participated in several documentaries: