A qualification in environmental engineering gives you the opportunity to monitor and influence humans’ impact on the environment.
What is environmental engineering?
- Applies engineering concepts and technical skills to preserve the environment and minimise water, soil and air pollution.
- Assesses environmental impacts of engineering projects.
- Develops corrective measures for environmental degradation.
What do environmental engineers do?
- Protect, restore and create engineered and natural systems that are socially, environmentally and economically sustainable.
- Prepare environmental impact studies.
- Improve water quality and address land salinity problems.
- Develop cleaner production technologies.
- Undertake rehabilitation of contaminated land.
Where do environmental engineers work?
- In environmental consultancies.
- In-house within a range of industries.
- Government departments such as the Victorian Department of Environment and Primary Industries.
- Government agencies such as VicRoads.
To be an environmental engineer, what type of person do I need to be?
A career in environmental engineering may be for you, if you:
- Have a passion for the environment
- Are able to identify, analyse and solve problems
- Are practical and creative
- Enjoy subjects such as maths and chemistry.