From wind turbines to water heaters, a career in mechanical engineering gives you the opportunity solve problems for a wide variety of machines and applications.
What is mechanical engineering?
Mechanical engineering involves the planning, design and development of machinery, solving problems and improving the machines used in everyday life.
What do mechanical engineers do?
- Apply knowledge of materials, structures, and energy to solve technical problems and improve efficiency of machinery.
- Plan, design and oversee the development, installation, operation and maintenance of machinery.
- Design, analyse and improve products as diverse as refrigerators, washing machines, solar water heaters, pumps, engines, compressors, wind turbines and air-conditioning systems.
Where do mechanical engineers work?
Mechanical engineers work in a range of industries
- Designing systems and machinery as part of a team
- Providing technical support
- Overseeing quality control.
What type of person do I need to be?
A career in mechanical engineering may be for you, if you:
- Are practical and creative
- Are able to identify, analyse and solve problems
- Enjoy computing and technical design
- Enjoy subjects like maths and physics.