Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
Melbourne City and Bundoora
This program is designed for engineers seeking specialist knowledge and skills in the field of airworthiness engineering and management.
The field of airworthiness encompasses all engineering disciplines required to develop, design, manufacture, certify, operate and maintain aircraft, both civil and military.
This program will provide you with specialised knowledge and expertise in the areas of initial and continuing airworthiness engineering and management.
The objectives of this program are to educate you as an airworthiness engineering professional who is able to:
- analyse complex engineering assets in the initial and continuing airworthiness engineering environment, and develop engineering, scientific and technological solutions to ensure problem-free operations
- find innovative solutions from an array of possibilities through systematic problem-solving and engineering/technological systems design methodologies operating in the aircraft design, engineering, certification and maintenance industry
- analyse and implement novel solutions for the design, engineering, certification and maintenance of aircraft and aeronautical systems for challenging problems and opportunities
- communicate with a wide range of key airworthiness engineering and engineering management stakeholders in a professional and effective manner
- build, lead and work in teams with trust and respect
- achieve results in an industry characterised by global competition and driven by rapidly changing market forces
International student visa holders can only study full-time.
Most lectures take place at the Melbourne City campus and some lab classes run at the Bundoora campus.
Lectures, tutorial and laboratory sessions run during the afternoon and evening to fit in with the work commitments of part-time students.
Several learning and teaching approaches are used within this program to develop your capabilities and to assist you in developing skills as an independent and lifelong learner.
These approaches may include classroom teaching and/or online sessions, laboratory sessions, problem-based learning, assignments and projects.
RMIT University is committed to providing you with an education that strongly links formal learning with professional practice. You'll undertake and be assessed on structured activities that allow you to learn, apply and demonstrate your professional practice. You will complete these activities in real-work contexts or situations - any or all of these aspects of a work-integrated learning (WIL) experience may be simulated.
The School of Engineering has research and educational partnerships with the following airworthiness industry bodies/organisations:
- civil and military aviation regulators: Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA), The Directorate General Technical Airworthiness of the Australian Defence Force (DGTA-ADF)
- aircraft design organisations: BAE Systems Australia, Thales Australia, Boeing Australia, Mahindra Aerospace
- aircraft maintenance organisations: Qantas Engineering, Boeing Defence Australia
- aircraft operators: Qantas, Tigerair
- research and development organisations: Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO) of the Australian Department of Defence, Advanced Composite Structures Australia
Graduate career paths include:
- airworthiness engineering in design, engineering and manufacturing organisations
- airworthiness policy and regulations formulation and administration in aviation regulating authorities
- aircraft and aeronautical product design and certification in design and engineering organisations
- aircraft maintenance management in airlines, continuing airworthiness management organisations and maintenance organisations
RMIT encourages you to aspire to a global career, not just a local one.
Through partner organisations in Europe, Asia and the United States, the RMIT International Experience and Research Program (RIIERP) offers workplace training and academic research placements of between six and 12 months.
There are also opportunities to study abroad through Education Abroad.
Program and course information
A unique program designed in consultation with industry
This program is designed for engineers seeking specialist knowledge and skills in airworthiness engineering and management.