Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
You must have:
- Successfully completed an Australian Bachelor degree (or equivalent overseas qualification); or
- At least 3 years professional experience in graphic design, communication design and/or visual communication area.
For equivalents to Australian academic entry requirements, see the Country equivalents web page.
You must complete and submit the online pre-selection kit by Friday 17 February 2017.
The online pre-selection kit requires an applicant statement of no more than 250 words outlining your perspective of the current state of communication design and the future of the discipline. To prepare this statement, please read, and use as a point of departure, Norman Potter’s essay 'What is a designer?' (PDF 113KB). You may find it helpful to consider the following questions:
- Are Potter’s ideas still relevant today?
- If so, which of his ideas are still relevant, and how?
- Or: which of his ideas are out-dated, and why?
- What does this say about the future of communication design?
You must supply a folio of 15 to 30 pieces of your own work and should be communication design focused, although it may contain a variety of work including, art, design or media work that demonstrates the breadth of your interests and expertise, as well as your conceptual and technical skills. For example, your folio may include: drawings, paintings, graphic design, photographs, motion graphics, digital images, models, sculpture, video, interactive media, games, websites, short writing pieces, and/or 2D and 3D animation. You may also include development work as well as finished work.
Images must be formatted as PDF. Flash animation and QuickTime movies are acceptable, however, please ensure that the files are built or exported and open independently of the creator program. Files must be no larger than 10MB. If your creative work is on YouTube or other websites, please supply the URL. We recommend you explain each work, to help the selection officer understand the work’s purpose and background. If your work is a collaboration please detail precisely your role and the role of the collaborator/s.
We recommend you explain each work, to help the selection officer understand the work’s purpose and background.
You must have successfully completed an Australian Bachelor degree (or equivalent overseas qualification) in a relevant discipline.
You may also be considered if you have a minimum of 3 years professional experience in the graphic design, communication design and/or visual communication area.
Pre-selection kit: You are required to submit a completed pre-selection kit (PDF 50 KB 3p) along with your application.
English language requirements
To study this program you will need to complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- IELTS (Academic): minimum overall band of 6.5 (with no individual band below 6.0)
- TOEFL (Paper Based Test): minimum score of 580 (TWE 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet Based Test - IBT): minimum overall score of 92 (with minimum of 20 in all sections)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE (A)): minimum score of 58 (with no communication band less than 50)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): minimum of 176 with no less than 169 in any component.
For detailed information on English language requirements and other proficiency tests recognised by RMIT, visit English language requirements and equivalency information.
Don't meet the English language test scores? Complete an Advanced Plus Certificate at RMIT English Worldwide.